How to package ship an amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mike mike, May 18, 2011.

1. mike mike

mike mike Well-Known Member

I need to properly package and ship 4x12 to Pittsburgh, PA from california. i have no experience in this field. can anyone give advice on packaging it properly, and how much they think it will cost to ship that far? thanks!

2. MM54

MM54 New Member

That's like an hour from here, you should just use the teleporter to send it to me and I'll drive it down.

Nah, generally I think your biggest problem is going to be finding a box big enough to put it in. From there, lots of packing on all sides is key, especially with a heavy package like a cab.

3. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah it's basicaly huge box with a good 6 in around internally for packing then use foam,bubble wrap etc especialy on face,back and corners. I'd even go so far as to put a panel over the speakers/front then cosey it in with foam or bubble wrap to keep the speakers safe.

4. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    Go to your local music store and ask them for the packaging from one of their cabs or a box that a cab might fit into, they are alway dealing with boxes that size.

5. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice common sense answer! i have to remember that!

6. fretfire6

fretfire6 New Member

I agree with the suggestion to go to your local music store for a box. I've done this in the past and it's saved me financially and headache-wise. I know from personal experience that if it's not packaged correctly, the insurance claim won't be paid by UPS, if that's who you use. I learned the hard way. And it was a Splawn modified Marshall Plexi. And I'm still bitter about it.

Also, furniture stores might carry boxes and packing material that could help you. Good Luck!

7. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

Jeffe said it best

8. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

I shipped 2 cabs to Ogdensburg, NY, from L.A., in January. Here's how I packed them:

1. Remove the rear panel

2. Using cardboard, wrap the back side of each speaker cone, basically make a lampshade shaped piece of cardboard and, using blue or green body work tape, tape it to the frame, thus protecting the cone from the rear.

3. After wrapping each speaker in that fashion, I completely filled the cab up with bubble wrap. To the point that I had to sit on the back panel to screw it back on. Leave the jack loose inside the cab, don;t put it back into the speaker jack cup.

4. Cut 2 pieces of flat cardboard the size of the outer dimensions of the front of the cab. Using the blue/green tape, tape them to the cab on the front to protect the grill.

5. Find a suitable heavy duty box and corner protectors that fit into it, and pack the cab into the box.

6. Ship the cab. Sending a 4x12 from L.A. to Ogdensburg was around $90.00 via UPS.

My cabs arrived in perfect condition (well, as perfect as they were when I packed them, hehehe...).

I REALLY, REALLY recommend protecting the cones and filling the cab. I once had a cab shipped here, and the guy just put it into a box and sent it. When it got to me, it had obviously been dropped off a truck, and one of the speakers had the magnet come off the back, destroying it.

Cheers!
    :dude::dude::dude:

9. mike mike

Thanks for all the Suggestions guys. I think when everything is final, I will try going to Guitar Center to get a box from them. thanks.

10. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

otherwise, go find a small quantity box company. they specialize in building custom boxes for just that. i have no idea what they would charge. i have a buddy who's dad runs one here.

11. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

Wrap the box yourself. If the store packs it for you you're going to pay $140. If you pack it yourself it will be more like $50.

Here's the deal, you need a huge piece of cardboard and you need to basically cut and wrap this thing your self. You can double wrap it and all that jazz if you feel it needs the padding but making a larger size box to accommodate for internal padding is going to rape you on shipping charges. Carriers will charge more for the size, not the weight as if it's huge it will take up more space on the truck. This means grabbing a cabinet box from a music store is out of the question. I just sent an empty cab recently and with it's original box they wanted to charge $140. Once I wrapped it myself and took it back up to the store it was more like $50.

Shipping is getting more expensive by the day.

Like Clammy says, it can't hurt to pack the inside of the cab really well. You've got to take the casters off anyway so you may as well stick those inside the cabinet and secure those really well. At that point you have to protect the speakers anyway from the casters even if you have those in a separate package within the cabinet.

12. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the casters. I wrapped them in bubble wrap as well, and then stuffed them into the middle of the bubble wrap filling in the cabs.

Cheers!

13. mike mike

ugh. this is going to be fun.

14. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Nah, it's really not difficult or even that time-consuming. I wrapped and packed 2 cabs in a couple of hours. Take your time, and do it right, though.

Cheers!