How To Fix A High Fret?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by justinrhoads80, Mar 12, 2018.

1. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have just noticed that when I pick a note on the 9th fret high E I get a weird pinging noise and I believe it has to do with a fret that is too high. How do I find which fret I need to correct and how do I fix that fret? Is there anything a noob at this can do to prevent from hurting my guitar? Thanks

2. JTM1963

JTM1963 Member

Take your guitar to a skilled repair guy.

3. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Fret level & setup ...

ricksconnected likes this.
  4. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Carnada's got a tutorial around here somewhere about the horrors of DIY guitar projects.

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Most likely needs a setup. Google the subject for instructions, you should be able to remedy it yourself otherwise you'll have to spend about $100 for a luthier to do it.

6. justinrhoads80

Yeah I am already planning to do a setup before I can rule that out. I did have my guitar setup 2 months ago so I don't know if maybe the truss rod has moved since then? All I know is I am not paying another $90 for a setup! That is ridiculous when I have the tools and instructions to do this myself.

ESP on YouTube has a tutorial series on a floyd guitar so I am all good there

There is another guy who has a 30 minute video where he goes in depth about the floyd rose and adjusting it for Lowering Tuning/Lighter Gauge strings and Raising Up Tuning/Higher Gauge Strings

pedecamp likes this.
  7. pedecamp

I just reread your OP, are the rest of your strings ok? Raise the high E string saddle just a hair should fix it.

8. justinrhoads80

The rest of the strings are fine except the 6th where it is played open it vibrations and lightly grazes the fret, I am pretty sure that is normal or am I wrong?

I should have mentioned that the guitar is equipped with a Floyd Rose. I would think maybe raising the action on that side would do the trick? If not I should probably do something about the fret

9. pedecamp

Raise the post on that side just a hair, literally like microscopic then retune then see how it goes.

10. justinrhoads80

Got it I will try that going home today, If it doesn't work I will report back. What about the bottom string? When I had my guitar setup it had D'addarios and I switched them to Ernie Ball and noticed that the 6t string would vibrate more and graze the fret more. I decided I would raise up the bass side and I really raised it up, and I still have the problem. I am think that the truss rod possibly needs a slight adjustment

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

However, the fretboard should not be flat.
    The neck should have a very slight bow, and if the bow is not there, the frets in the middle of the fretboard will tend to buzz.
    This is because the string vibrates more in the middle than at the ends.

So, check the bow of the neck first- make sure the truss rod is not too tight.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. pedecamp

That's another thought, with temperatures rising and falling this time of year it can change your guitar setup, maybe not raise the post but instead add a hair of relief to the neck to change everything overall, your guy might have set the action too low, me my measurement is 1/16" gap at the 12th fret, anything lower is too low for my taste, I need to be able to grab my strings for bends.

13. ampmadscientist

A lot of how-to videos located here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/

14. justinrhoads80

I have a notched straight edge at home, How can I use this to measure if the neck needs to be loosened?

15. justinrhoads80

Same I agree, I like my action low, but not to the point where my strings feel light and I don't have enough of a grip on them. If I have a notched straight edge, Is there anyway this can be of use to help me decide what needs to happen with the truss rod?

Thanks

16. ampmadscientist

Read this:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...e_nervous_about_adjusting_that_truss_rod.html

It depends on your playing.
    Some guitar players pick really lightly, just barely touching the strings w/ the pick.
    A less-bowed or "almost flat neck" will work for them.
    They don't play hard enough to get a fret buzz.
    (unless the frets are not leveled)
    But, they can set action super low....and it plays fine for them.

Students / less experienced - tend to play harder.
    Super low action will not work for them...too much buzzing because picking strings harder.

So you see? there is a large variation that depends on "how" the individual plays !

For Me: I can set the action super low...because I don't pick hard. And I don't get buzzing.
    But that style playing developed over decades of time.
    I play the guitar "lightly," and let the amp do the work. This is technique that comes with experience.

17. pedecamp

Whats the notched straight edge for? I just adjust truss rod by sight and feel and that 1/16" magic number, I also set my pickups to be 1/16" from the strings. Like I was saying add a hair of relief until the buzz stops all around, retune and youre done.

18. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

usually its more then just 1 fret, if you lower the one buzzing chances are you have to continue up the neck towards the bridge to make up for that one fret you just corrected.

I have one on a cheapie guitar i traded with a friend and its lifted a little on the low E, and A right after the nut the very first fret. It almost looks like the fret came unglued and lifted out of the fretboard. Might need to be tapped back down with a hammer. Right now i just put a couple layers of paper under the low E at the nut just to lift it up a little

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I check relief quickly by fretting at the first on the g string and right little finger around the 14th for a quick visual. Personally, if I have a high fret I level and dress. The tools to do it right can get $. I purchased a couple Agile guitars for experience, then sold. Really not that hard to do.

20. ampmadscientist

If you level and crown frets, that can be real work.
    Making a little more bow, is less work.

justinrhoads80 likes this.