How To Choose A Cabinet For Low Volume Playing?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Roudan, May 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM.

1. Roudan

Roudan New Member

Hi

I am new to cabinet and speaker. I have a new DSL1c for bedroom playing. I am thinking to buy a 112 Cab. I have few questions.

1. Which cab do I get, open or closed back? I play both rock and blues.
    2. Does cab size matter? Is bigger size better than smaller size? How is this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/Seismic-Audio...id=1495251410&sr=8-15&keywords=guitar+cabinet

3. What speaker match DSL1 better? Celestion Vintage 30 or Eminence Cannabis Rex?

https://www.amazon.ca/Eminence-CANN...5251589&sr=8-1&keywords=Eminence+Cannabis+Rex

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

2. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

why do you want a cab for such a small amp? curious.

Roudan likes this.
  3. ricksconnected

I would never pay $250 for a empty cab. EVER.

Roudan likes this.
  4. Roudan

Roudan New Member

Is 12 inch speaker better than 8 inch? Thx

5. ricksconnected

to me, yes. the sound is fuller to me ears.
    some folks like a 10 inch speaker though.

Roudan likes this.
  6. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

1 watt can be very loud. A nice 1x12 closed back can compliment a lil 1x8 combo nicely.

I say yes to the choice.

You may want to try a Maverick 16 which has a nice response and can be adjusted to match the output of the 8 inch internal speaker if it stays connected.

ricksconnected and Roudan like this.
  7. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

What i think i hear is open back sounds better then closed back at low volumes. At higher volumes the open back tends to let the speaker move to much then it starts to sound flubby which is a sound i dont like.

Ive tried the same speaker in a smaller enclosure and a larger one and the larger one sounds better even though its open back.

I would say since your amp is a 1 watt amp you would want the largest cabinet you can find for a 1X12 and open back.

Ive seen some that have panels you can remove and sort of tune the cabinet to your taste this might be an option also. If im thinking right its like a closed back with 3 panels that you can remove one, two or all three to have closed, open or WAY open or something.

Open back also sounds wider and you can get some cool sounds when you tilt the cab back against a wall

mickeydg5 and Roudan like this.
  8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Convertible cabinets are always a good idea. They can be open or closed. :thumb:

Roudan likes this.
  9. Roudan

Roudan New Member

10. Roudan

Roudan New Member

Thanks BowerR64. For largest open cab I found is this one, egnater tweaker 112x

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-tweaker-112x-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet

How is this one?

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM
  11. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

12 inch speakers sound deeper and fuller , and get 2 and make up a 2x12 and you will surprized how big the sound is - I made up 3 2x12's for use with my 1 watt heads - jtm1H tru a 2x12 of cannabis rex speakers -jmp1H tru a greenback mix H and M,and jcm1H tru a 2x12 of 1981 g12 80's ,and it is worth doing , I had 1x12's but changed to 2x12's with the palmer (made by eminence) empty 2x12 cabs closed back and they thump it out very nicely

and how do I like the cannabis rex speakers ,I got 16 ohm so parallel is 8ohm - yes they are great , a loverly soft clean sound that break up a bit when pushed

a v30 will growl a bit more than a cannabis rex

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    Roudan likes this.
  12. Roudan

Roudan New Member

Thanks slide222. Is 212 too loud for night time playing at home?

13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The way it works out is:
    closed back is going to have better bass.
    Ported cabinet is going to be more efficient...flatter response.
    Open back is less efficient, and does not have the low end.

But 1X12 cab is the best choice for most small applications.

I like ported cabinets, because I go for a more "hi fi" type sound.

Roudan likes this.
  14. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

My advice to you is to check avatar speakers. They custom build very high quality cabinets for a very reasonable price. In addition to that you can choose to have your cabinet be convertible, meaning it can be open AND closed back depending on what you need at the time.

Also, they have a huge selection of speakers that you can choose from. As far as speakers go the big question is what kind of music are you playing? For classic tones you'll want a greenback, for 80's esq tones you'll want a G12T75 (these are the Marshall speakers of choice and sound awesome with a DSL) then for more modern tone into metal the V30 is a solid choice. I would reccomend that you look at some speaker demo shootout videos on YouTube, and find what works for you.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Roudan likes this.
  15. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

If you want the natural breakup of the amp most cabs can be too 'loud' even with a 1 watter. More speakers push more air and [to me] add depth and complexity to the sound - a benefit to the home player. I'd take your amp and guitar to all the local guitar shops and try out everything you can get your mitts on. Blindly buying speakers is a crap shoot - I know as I have gone through 24 in the last 4 years.

I recommend looking at the equipment used by the guys making your target sound. For me that is the Celestion Greenback and clones - everything else missed the mark. You need to play the speaker loud to determine it's future in your equipment stash. Many speakers sounded great and full at low volume only to turn into bass-zilla mush at high volume. Your amp has a lot to do with this transformation.

Cab size wise there is a load of non scientific opinion here. The virtues of compact, standard and over sized cabs are extolled with little or no scientific data / measuring to back up the claims. Individual speakers [same model] are like women they all have the same fixtures but aren't the same. Ditto on amps / signal chain. I'd look for cabs built with Baltic Birch [meaning 11 to 18 ply void less] plywood, pine or poplar that fit into your equipment scheme [lugging it around or taking up 1/2 of your living space]. 12" depth is common. The other dimensions are like women - do you like 'em big, skinny or in between.

Russ

Roudan likes this.
  16. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

bedroom quiet playing?

for the win:

[​IMG]

SG~GUY and Roudan like this.
  17. ricksconnected

the tweaker isn't bad nor is the rebel 20 cab. however, I haven't found them to sound very good with other amps for some reason.
    at the prices your showing, I would go used myself.
    ive seen the blackstar cabs go for $100.00 on ebay. they sound very solid and a GREAT bang for the buck.

Roudan likes this.
  18. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Just to point out that the speaker itself has much to do with the tone. And very importantly the speaker can have a HUGE effect on the LOUDNESS. For example a G12-65 will sound less than half as loud as a Vintage 30.

Also some speakers just sound better in 1x12s. The G12-75 sounds pretty decent with higher gain amps. The Vintage 30 helps clean up mud with drop tunings.

19. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

that's an ISO cab, which may, or may not be the best solution. I have mu ISO cab, & it's cool for hearing myself like listening to a record, but it is not like listening to a guitar & amp on a soundstage...

You also need a mic & a decent monitoring system.

I've never heard that cab open, but, I'm not sure it would thrive in that environment, as it's made for 1 purpose - to be an ISO cab.

I could be wrong - :shrug:...

I'd suggest a low sensitivity speaker & an oversized box. I actually like my ATV112 cab w/ a GB25. Here's a sample:

20. ricksconnected

I like that doom. what exactly are ya using there?? (amp)