How much difference between SV212 and ORI212A

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by BluesForDan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

Both are 2x12, one has the V-30 the other the Seventy 80 speakers

The former is built with tolex covered plywood, the latter tolex covered MDF. The dimensions are very close and the weight is almost the same.

I'm looking for an 8 ohm extension speaker for a combo I like and these cabs are the right size to fit under my amp. It is a non-master volume fender with reverb.

On an ergonomic standpoint, the ORI212A has an interesting slanted angle to the grab bar of the handle. Not that I'll be moving it much but if i were to start gigging, or even going to jams that might make it easier if the design is actually useful.

The vintage snob in me likes the look of the SV212, but I'm having a real hard time swallowing that 799.99 price tag while the ORI212A is less than half at 299.99

I'm not looking to change speakers to get a sound I like better. I want to buy and be done with it. I want a good full sound and while I would love love love to have a 4x12, space and money are not infinite in my universe.

Anybody out there have experience with the two of these? I'd love to hear from you.

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

No but my :2c: worth is that for 299 the Ori is the winner.
    Yes the SV has ply construct and the V30 said to be great BUT there are members here who will vouch for the 70/80 when broken in and within a closed back cab. The MDF construct will serve you well and last when properly taken care of.
    There really is no justification for Marshall to be charging that much for the SV cab.
    BP

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Just get one of these. They won't make you feel like you wasted your hard earned cash. Has all the beef of a 4x12 but in a smaller package and is all birch ply. I own several Marshall cabs as well as this one and another Bogner 4x12. For the money they are a better built cab than even the expensive Marshalls. Much more bang for buck if you are in the USA.
    I don't have the exact cab (SV212) but do have a Jubilee 2x12 which is identical for the most part. Very well made and sounds great. Those cheap cabs are cheap for a reason, don't be fooled. A good quality cab will last you a lifetime. The cheapies will leave you wanting to swap speakers and a good chance will fall apart while doing so.
    You could also just go used. I would always steer a guy to buy a good used cab over the cheap new junk.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/212CHelios--bogner-212ch-helios-120-watt-cabinet

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've never seen an Origin Cab, however, I have a SV212, was a bit disappointed at first and put in Greenbacks, but regretted and put back the original V-type speakers and after +50 hours the SV212C sounds completely fantastic.

Sustainium likes this.
  5. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

what are those metal clip looking things on the bottom of the cab?

tce63 likes this.
  6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Casters I would assume.

tce63 likes this.
  7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

I went to a music store today and was lamenting the price Marshall was asking for their 2x12 cab. The guy working there said "Oh, those, we got one. Wanna try it?"

Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls? Of course I wanted to try it.

Big mistake. The cab sounds fantastic, it was the SC212, same thing different grill cloth, if I'm not mistaken. I used an SV20H head with it. I played an SG with humbuckers, a Tele with single coils and an LP Jr with P-90 through it.

Gah, I'm a ruined man. I gotta have it.

8. BanditPanda

LOL....no worries...it'll all come out in the wash! :dude:
    Let us know when she's yours.
    BP

scott-colorado2016 likes this.
  9. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

I just went through the same dilemma to match with my SV20H. Since the SV212 has V-Types and the ORI212 has 70/80's, I was planning to swap speakers regardless. Both of these speakers are on the low-end of Celestion quality. I decided to go with the ORI212 plus a set of Creambacks as the total cost was a couple hundred less than the SV212 without the speaker swap. The cab sounds great. The MDF vs plywood didn't bother me.

IMG_6654.JPG

10. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

Thanks lp1987x for reporting in on the ORI212; I’m really having a hard time with $799 for the SV212; I’m sure the SV is wonderful n all, kind to marsupials n so forth, but it’s a lot of scratch for me. I put side handles in a DSL40C, and was reaaally impressed with the composite the case was made of as I made the cutouts for the handles. If the ORI212 is made of that same stuff, I’m in!! If it’s regular MDF, I think not.
    On the Fence! Ready to pull the trigger, just not sure WHICH one!

tce63 likes this.
  11. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

So how much are the 2061x type cabs as an alternative?

tce63 likes this.
  12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

If the Origin cab is MDF, your back will hate you....unless you have a hand truck or dolly with you...I didnt like MDF due to its weight....

tce63 likes this.
  13. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Weight is an issue for sure but how about the sound difference between the two cab materials with the same speakers..that would be interesting.

tce63 likes this.
  14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

actually the SV212 was 52.6 pounds (23.9 kg) and the ORI212-A was 51.1 pounds (23.2 kg}, not what I was expecting. I think the composite is something other than the traditional back breaking MDF of yore.

Sustainium and tce63 like this.
  15. BanditPanda

So you've got it BFD?
    BP

tce63 likes this.
  16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

Not yet! Just in my dreams for now :D I'm in a conundrum at the moment. I have a pair of vintage Fenders I could sell and get the cab and a lion's share of the head as well. So very tempting but then I wouldn't have those Fenders any more.

Patience. I must it learn do I.

tce63 and BanditPanda like this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

probably due to the difference in speaker magnet material, which accounts for a lot of a cab's weight...

tce63 likes this.
  18. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member

Seventy-80 is 6.8 lbs, creamback is 7.9 lbs, vtype is 7.2 lbs.

I have a MX212AR cab under my DSL20HR and to be honest I did not think it sounded to bad at all with the Seventy-80’s in it. Maybe a little to hifi as you had to run the treble low but if it sounds good, does anyone but you know where the tone pots are set? I thought it had decent cut and punch too but was very directional. It also completely blows away my DSL40C with either the 70-80 or the V-Type in it. The 40 will probably be sold off.

But since I am a tone chaser it now has a Creamback 65 in the top and a V-Type in the bottom. I’ll know more once they break in but I’m liking the new combination better already. I’m not gigging it so the MDF build does not bother me and the construction inside seemed good.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    BanditPanda likes this.