How is everyone during this madness that's going on right now?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

74F375A8-CF67-4715-900E-ADE5729C0A25.jpeg

:cheers:

2. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

In all seriousness here is what Trader Joe’s Market in Ventura looked one week ago today.
    F8996BC7-6E7A-4D9B-AAA9-1916278711D8.jpeg The Gov has been slow to act, but people were hip to the news...
    (at that time 5 coronavirus cases in Ventura County, five who were on the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship, where 700 people ended up testing positive for the virus)
    ...and started taking matters into their own hands. The next day when the President declared the Emergency, stores got over-ran. By Saturday the stores were decimated. If you want to get into the grocery now, they make you wait outside in a line, six feet apart, with tape on the ground to mark the line’s spacing between customers. Only a small amount of people are allowed in at any given time. I haven’t seen it myself cause I ain’t going out there. The local Gov is starting to act now. Here is the local news. http://vcreporter.com/2020/03/vc-coronavirus-update-county-hunkering-down-during-pandemic/

DaDoc likes this.
  3. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

DaDoc and Lance Chambers like this.
  4. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I'm in NJ very close to Philadelphia. Lots of new cases here. All 3 kids are home. The two in college are completing this years classes online and my youngest most likely will finish his 1st year in high school online at home. We've started self quarantining last Thursday night.

My two sons play music...one is a guitarist/drummer/bass player and the other plays drums. I play guitar but have been playing bass so we are able to jam together. Since this all happened last week, we've been recording and jamming and fixing our gear, etc

I've been following the covid-19 outbreak since it was made public. I manage a small team of scientists and engineers at a pharma company. My group does sterilization validation and sterility assurance....anything related to the sterilization of products, components, equipment, filling environments, and staff is our realm. One of the guys in my group has a brother in China. He's in one of the Cities that was quarantined in China (not Wuhan) and he was providing daily updates to us back in January. Since our expertise is in the sterilization field, we were interested in his daily reports and we continued to follow the spread into Italy. One of my other guys was in Italy when the northern region was quarantined and made it back home ok but a women in my group had a trip to Italy scheduled next week....which of course got canceled. I was headed to Greece in April for a vacation, so we were all tracking this for our own interests too and began to realize this was going to be a worldwide issue a few days before Italy closed.

Other coworkers were calling us/me chicken little 2 weeks ago because we were tracking the data out of Italy and making projections for the US. When the NBA and NHL closed down last Thursday, our non-beliver coworkers asked to see our projections...lol. We kill and remove bacteria, bacterial spores, fungus, and remove and/or destroy bacterial endotoxin and crunch the data related to experiments and studies on a dialy basis. Viruses are not something that we use or test/monitor because our processes and techniques assume that viruses are eliminated with the same techniques (viruses are not living and many magnitudes smaller than most bacteria....plus without a host they are not active and don't replicate)....but numbers work the same way...lol. Several weeks ago we predicted the US at greater than 10,000 cases on 3/20/20. We are at 11.5K today!

I hope everyone takes this seriously and stays away from older loved ones....and anyone outside of their home.

DaDoc, Time2Fly, Nik Henville and 5 others like this.
  5. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I work in the grocery industry, on the supply side. Basically, I'm working my ass off trying to keep my inventory just on top of the current market trend (which is basically a panicked free-for-all), and looking forward to the day when people finally calm down and quit hoarding.

But the paychecks have been pretty nice. :)

DaDoc, AlvisX, Lance Chambers and 5 others like this.
  6. flyinguitars

Wow! so you are ON it right now. Your industry and healthcare must be crazy right now.

Mitchell Pearrow, netlocal and jmp45 like this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Batshit crazy, actually. I work for a bakery. Mostly 11-13 hour days, though I hit sixteen hours on Saturday, starting work at 10:00 Friday night and finally leaving for home at 2PM Saturday. Good times-it's like a prolonged snow scare, except the roads aren't all fucked up.

netlocal and jmp45 like this.
  8. usednabused

usednabused Active Member

hangin out with my gear in my home...fiddling while Rome burns...

DaDoc, netlocal and jmp45 like this.
  9. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

FG, help me understand this, which I've heard before. "Viruses are not living". Why then do they say it will live on a surface for x hours / days?

flyinguitars and netlocal like this.
  10. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Guys ever watch "The Andromeda Strain" from the 1970s? Good movie that kind of relates to today. Watched it again the other day.

usednabused, jmp45 and netlocal like this.
  11. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Belgium. We are basically less than one week away from ICs getting overflooded by corona patients. The storm is right in front of us. We are 10 days behind Italy, luckily better equipped.

Hard times being a hypochondriac

usednabused and netlocal like this.
  12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Yes you are better equipped, almost as well as the Germans!
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00134-012-2627-8

We were seeing if the PPE fits properly today:
    [​IMG]

netlocal likes this.
  13. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Active Member

netlocal likes this.
  14. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

A virus is a piece of DNA or RNA wrapped up in a delivery pod called a capsid, sometimes coated in a lipid envelope, all called a virion.
    The virus needs a living host to replicate because it inserts its DNA/RNA into the host cell genome and hijacks the cell processes to make more virions.
    The cell usually ruptures to release the millions of new virions, though some viruses cause the cell to shed virions over a sustained period.
    The virion is extremely fragile and degrades easily from heat, UV, desiccation, etc.
    That is why they are said to be able to "live" on surfaces for a limited amount of time.
    But that is a misnomer, they are not living entities.
    The correct term would be "viable".

3-s2.0-B9780128008386000023-f02-02-9780128008386[1].jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    DaDoc, neikeel, netlocal and 2 others like this.
  15. flyinguitars

Its a subject of debate because they need a host cell to turn on and replicate. They are a particle that contains rna/dna, protein, and some have lipids. They rest on surfaces and float around in the air riding on particulates. Once they reach a cell they attach and turn on and replicate. The particles assemble over and over and then the cell bursts open and the new copies spill out into new cells...and over and over....

Outside of a host cell, viruses cannot function.

As far as saying they live on a surface.....I think its just easier and assumed that 'living" means they could become activated. I think the correct term would be to say the are "viable" on a surface for X hours.

netlocal, DaDoc and jmp45 like this.
  16. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

I can handle everything except my boy's baseball seasons being over. I wait all MN winter for that, and missing it is gonna hurt so much.

17. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Ok, makes sense.. This sums it up for me.

netlocal likes this.
  18. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

Got my SV20H and 212 cabinet last night,so I know what I am doing!!!

19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Here in Montana we're somewhat behind a lot of the states on a lot of levels, but we finally had a couple of cases pop up..It was going to happen eventually. One over in Bozeman, but so far none here in Livingston.

Still, it seems there's beginning to be a lot of panic happening..Stuff like canned goods, dried rice and beans, ect. are flying off the shelves at the grocery stores..And of course paper goods TP, paper towels, and so on.

The wife is a teacher, and the schools closed this week..Next week is spring break, and after that is still up in the air.

The printing company I'm working part-time for is still open for the time being, but is not letting any non-essential personnel in..And we're having to wipe down surfaces and work stations constantly..I'm sure it helps, but I figure it's going to take only one infected individual coming in to expose everyone there.

Both scary and annoying, especially the hoarding..And to take take that one step further, the hoarding to profit from a bad situation..:mad:

Like I stated on another thread, this kind of sh*t brings out both the best and worst in people. :shrug:

As for us, we're in pretty good shape right now, we raise a garden and do home canning, so we have plenty of grub for now, and I also have plenty of ammo for a worst-case scenario. :naughty:

My biggest concern at the moment is my wifey..She's had asthma all her life, and was diagnosed this last summer with COPD because of it, so she's in the "extremely high risk" category. I'm far more worried for her than I am for myself, although at 62 I suppose I'm also high risk.

Hang in there and rock on Y'all, here's hoping this will blow over eventually! :jam:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  20. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Reassembled my old bowflex home gym