How Do You Guys Use Your Dsl’s?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossy67, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:15 PM.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Are we all talking about the same amp?

The JCM2000, or the DSL?

I know the JCM2000 says "Dual super lead" and everyone calls it a "DSL" but there is a DSL15, DSL40, DSL100 ide like to get a DSL but not the JCM2000 ide rather get the newer one that doesnt have the bias issue.

2. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 New Member

I've had mine for almost two years and have mainly only used the lead 1 channel with gain at noon and then rolled off my guitar's volume for a less dirty sound. However, I just got a Friedman BE-OD pedal and this thing into the clean channel of the DSL is just amazing and I think I like it better than the lead 1 channel to be honest with you. However, the rolled off sound with the pedal is not as good as the rolled off sound of the lead 1 channel, so I think I'll still switch to that for that sound.

solarburnDSL50 and crossy67 like this.
  3. Kutt

Kutt Active Member

upload_2017-12-6_12-42-18.png

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I have a '98 JCM 2000 DSL. I did not use it as a channel switcher. Green channel with a clean boost with an EQ in the FX for solos did it for me. gain never over 7. Red channel is ok with the gain around 2-3 max however never use for gigs anymore. After using a JMP 2204 or JCM 800 4104 the DSL sits collecting dust. Playing my older Marshalls makes me use my guitar volume knob a lot more however no problem there as I am old school. The DSL is one amp in my stable I would part with. My DSL got continuous use from 2010-2014 timeframe with no regrets. That green channel kills it and not far off from a JCM 800 voicing with Raytheon Blackplate and Tungsram pre amp tubes.

solarburnDSL50, crossy67 and JCarno like this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

As pointed out, tbey are run the same way. The 2000 series has a deep switch, the new series has a Resonance knob. But they are both Dual Super Leads. The controls are otherwise the same.
    JCM2000 also refers to the TSL series. Therefore the DSL moniker on both series.

6. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I used mine as Craigslist bait, to bring in cash. :D

In all seriousness, I only played the Red Lead channel, gain at around 6-7. I hated the green channel, and especially the clean. But I hate all cleans so, there's that.

Trelwheen and el_bastardo like this.
  7. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

8. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Member

Depends on the application really. Lately I'm only playing my 2203, when I was using the DSL every day I'd either go purely green channel set to crunch for Blues and Rock, so I could back off into clean territory using my volume control on the guitar or my Mad Professor Underdive pedal and then a Tubescreamer for an additional push to go into Hard Rock and Lead mode. For metal I'd set the green to clean mode with a bit of Reverb and/or Delay for ambient passages (never use the reverb on the head itself anymore, when switching back to the green from red you get a sudden burst of reverb out of nowhere) and the Lead channel on OD1 tightening it up with a Bad Monkey for riffing. 10 Band EQ would push some upper mids in conjunction with a Delay for solos.

For me personally the OD2 mode is too mushy, so I never used that. The mid scoop button also seems to castrate all the bite and balls out of the amp. More mids dialed in with the DSL = very good (imho ofc).

Good amp, versatile although it has it's quirks. Using the FX loop seems to add some distortion, makes it sound more fizzy at the same time. EQ difference between green and red is annoying, Reverb suddenly bursts in when switching from OD to Crunch, there's a noticable delay when engaging the footswitch.

I don't wanna hate on the amp, when I got it it was all I ever dreamed of. Hell I went my local music store and played an ENGL Powerball, a Peavey 6505 and the EVH 5153 and hated it. Too much gain, too modern sounding, really made me wonder why I should spend all that cash for those higher end amps when the DSL was cheaper and satisfied all my sound cravings better.

Now the 2203 is here and I am really tempted to sell the DSL. I don't play out with a band currently and the gigs I have upcoming are me and a singer, so steel string guitar and 2 voices. For home recording I have my Laney IRT Studio wich gets me all the sounds I need from clean to high gain and I can play it without annoying the neighbours. The 2203 will stay obviously for when I feel like cranking some tunes and when I get a band again and need some stage volume. Pedalboard with a tuner, a wah, a fuzz, the underdrive pedal (works in the exact opposite direction of an Overdrive) and a Tubescreamer, you're set. The rest is done via pots on the guitar.

So basically I used my DSL in a similar way to how I use my 2203. The only difference: the 800 doesn't have and doesn't need a second channel :D

9. solarburnDSL50

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    KraftyBob and Neil Skene like this.
  10. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Active Member

Like others I don't like to switch channels on MY DSL 100. I love the green clean channel full gain then pushed with an OD set clean with the volume up, This is a pretty versatile setting as you have clean with the guitar volume rolled back, then crunch at guitar full volume, then a decent amount of distortion with the OD on.
    This was with the OD on

11. solarburnDSL50

Fucking titz! Neil!

12. solarburnDSL50

Another pedal into the Green channel...

Neil Skene likes this.
  13. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Active Member

LOL. solarburnDSL50
    Loved it when you cleaned it up a little at around 3.19

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  14. solarburnDSL50

Loved your tone and feel! Gat daem bro. Good stuff!

Neil Skene likes this.
  15. solarburnDSL50

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:56 AM
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

With a cheap Epiphone special II that i like:) low volume

solarburnDSL50 and Neil Skene like this.
  17. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Lol. Well done.

SpHj likes this.
  18. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I actually modded my DSL100H quite a bit to balance the Green and Red channels. There's something about a 2 channel amp that can't be used effectively as a 2 channel amp without adding pedals that annoys the Hell out of me. After several changes to the Green and Red channels, I can now get a good rhythm crunch (anything classic rock) and then switch to the Red channel for higher gain/volume lead tone that actually sounds "right".

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  19. texhex

texhex Member

Posted this when I first joined the forum. It's just me having fun with the amp but that's what I really like about it. You can have Solarburn's gritty jams and stuff like this.

Lead 1
    Vol: 4
    Gain: 6
    Res: 6
    Pres: 8
    Bass: 5
    Mid: 7
    Treb: 6
    Tone Shift In

Tube Screamer and Delay
    MX412A and G12K-85 4x12s
    106db

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM
  20. Trelwheen

Trelwheen New Member

Ha! I bought one last week just because I saw them on Sweetwater with the creamback for $50 less than the stock model, and wanted to know what all the fuss was all about with these new DSL amps.

The OD channel is a little fuzzy fizzy for me in stock form but the clean channel is quite good, so I tried throwing a Bogner Burnley in front of it. Pretty good, actually...it reminds me of my JMP with a light OD in front.

I've got a lot of good tubes so I'm gonna try rolling some tonight to get that hi gain channel to sound more like an amp and less like my weedeater