Hotrod Deluxe problems

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by dna9656, Jan 26, 2020.

1. dna9656

dna9656 Member

This amp was built in July 2000. The Serial number is B-117187. I plugged it in, turned it on and got no sound. The tubes light up, it's like the speaker is disconnected, no hum when you touch the tip of the guitar input cable, no noise when you plugged/unplug the cord (not that I do that on a regular basis...); I did bump the amp and I heard the reverb tank make it's signature noise through the amp to the speaker. I think that means it's an input issue? I used it a couple of months ago and it worked fine. It's been sitting in my living room for over a year now and it's always worked fine. Suddenly POOF- NOTHING comes out of the amp. I looked at the wires on the input jack, no loose wires there, I pulled all the tubes to check for corrosion on the pins; I suppose a touch of spray electronic cleaner/lube in the sockets (after covering the back side of the sockets so as not to get lube in places it's not meant to be...) would help. Anybody got any ideas? I have a VOM and a capacitor meter/tester. I'm NOT an amp Tech however I know how to solder, used to know how to discharge caps (connect a jumper to (what end?) of the cap and ground the jumper to the chassis? I would however love to become an amp tech as few people work on tube technology and there's always some one that needs some help...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I am a HRD expert.
    And so you will UN-plug the speaker from the amp (remember there are 2 jacks, footswitch and speaker) remember which jack is the speaker jack.
    Now touch a 9 volt battery to the end of the speaker plug, there should be a loud POP from the speaker.

Test the speaker as above and tell me if the speaker POPS when you touch the battery to the speaker plug.

3. Travis398

Travis398 Member

that bad huh?

4. ampmadscientist

The baddest.
    Fender technician authorized for life to work on any Fender product, including Rhodes pianos...

The molded 1/4" plastic plug on the end of the stock speaker wire is known to fail.
    But then it could be the speaker too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    houseofrock likes this.
  5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I am intrigued to know outcome

I had a Deville 2x12 for years that behaved itself pretty well.

Still hanker for a smaller one like Deluxe or Junior

6. ampmadscientist

Dude are you still there?

7. ampmadscientist

It can be the speaker cable, the speaker...but could also be the low voltage power supplies etc.

8. Travis398

Travis398 Member

it sounds like he says the speaker is working

9. ampmadscientist

Then it's probably the 15 volt power supplies.
    It overheats the board and the circuit tracks peel up, then the op amps have no voltage to operate.
    The circuit board can come out, and the tracks can be repaired.

The power amp in jack can also corrode, then that would stop it from working too.

tce63 likes this.
  10. dna9656

dna9656 Member

Yeah, I'm here, I didn't get a notice anyone responded! Apologies to all! I will try as everyone suggested and post soon with the results! Thanks to you all for the responses!
    UPDATE! I did the battery on the speaker test, it pops just like it should; now here is the interesting part, While I was in there I pulled a narrow strip of paper between the contacts on the output jack to remove any corrosion that might be there. I turned the amp on and now I can hear the sssssssss sound the amps usually make when you turn up the gain a little. I learned that from a guy that was pretty old school, definitely a tube technology guy; he worked at Bell Telephone in the step swicth/relay days and he taught me that while we were cleaning relays.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  11. dna9656

dna9656 Member

Thanks tce63!

12. ampmadscientist

That's a switchcraft transfer jack. The contacts can corrode.
    So does the amp work now or do we need to test more?
    Switchcraft 13A jack.
    [​IMG]

tce63 likes this.
  13. dna9656

dna9656 Member

We need to test the 15 volt power supplies. I found a fender amp manual for the amp at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1059863/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe.html Up in the right corner of the page are links to other manuals for this amp. I don't know what the 15 volt power supplies look like or the location of same... I know how to test for voltage; you probe the + and the black probe goes to ground; would that be the chassis? I could check for those voltages if I knew what terminals to probe. I noticed on the schematic that all the terminals were identified.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Simple things I would check, first off just cuz a tube lights doesnt mean it works, take a known good tube and test all tube positions. Plug guitar into the return of the effects loop do you get sound? Check all fuses. Plug the speaker into the other input jack. Disconnect the speaker and plug into a cabinet. Clean all input jacks, pots and tube sockets with Deoxit. Try a different guitar, different cables, plug straight into amp with no pedals. Thats all I got. :yesway:

15. dna9656

dna9656 Member

I have replaced the 12AX7s with the orig tubes from my DSL100. The power tubes in it now have 5881 6L6WGC on them; I have some 6L6GCS I just found on my shelf. I'll pick up some deoxit and clean everything. I found the 12AX7 on the extream right (when looking at the back of the amp) reacts to light tapping you can hear in the speaker.I swapped out several other 12AX7s I have and the only variance in the sound was degress one tube made considerably less sound than the others

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  16. dna9656

dna9656 Member

It pops.

tce63 likes this.
  17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

happens ALOT

tce63 likes this.
  18. ampmadscientist

Plug the guitar into the "power amp in" jack.
    Turn up the guitar all the way and play.
    Is there any sound?

Yes you probably need to test the 15 volt supplies. Do you have a digital meter?

What does the date on the circuit board say? There is 2 boards, depending on the date.

tce63 likes this.
  19. dna9656

dna9656 Member

Which is the "IN" please. Sorry if I seem kinda ignorant, I have never used those jacks ( so I guess that makes me ignorant of that at least!)and they make me nervous.

tce63 likes this.
  20. dna9656

dna9656 Member

I have a digital VOM. So far the circuit board hasn't said anything but I'll let you know if it does...
    The date on the large CB is 1996, I don't see a date on the small CB. There are 2 little QA stickers underneath that look like they have been signed off. I noticed in some youtube repair videos that the input jack on the one being repaired has a plastic housing with 4 terminals, the ones on my amp are the traditional ones. The amp was built in July of 2000; the Serial Number is B-117187

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    tce63 likes this.