Heritage G12-65 vs original 80's G12-65

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by stickyfinger, Aug 13, 2019.

1. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

Any one compare these? No youtube comparisons out there. How do thy stack up?
    The Reissue greenbacks are nothing alike to the originals.

79 2203 likes this.
  2. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

I haven’t touched a heritage 65, but I have an ‘83 65 in my combo and love it.

79 2203 likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a Marshall branded G12-65 if anybody is interest - $125 plus shipping.

4. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

I only have the real ones from the 80's. And with these I hear nothing like anything that is new from Celestion. So from an educated, 'empirical' and intuitive perspective I would say no!

JCarno likes this.
  5. buddy7168

buddy7168 Member

I have a quad of heritage g1265 and while I’ve never compared to the originals, they sound great. They do exactly what I expected from watching YouTube vids of originals but I know that’s not the best way to compare. I use them with a ‘77 JMP 2203.

6. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Which original 65? There are supposedly 40 slightly different versions among the original run. One thing the Heritage has going for it, it is the one that finally got the nod from Robbin Ford after several attempts.

7. 79 2203

79 2203 Active Member

I had some Heritage 12-65's in a Avatar Contemporary 2x12 that I gigged for many years with various amps and guitars.......Mesa LSS, Hotrod Deville, Landry LS 100 G3, Ceriatone 2061, Yeti and 2203, and a 1980 JMP 2203, and they were ok speakers. Abit polite and wooly/middy for my tastes.
    I had an early 80's slant with original 12-65's for a while and compared them often to the Heritage ones and thought they were pretty similar.
    I still have a 82 4104 with original 12-65's and they are much nicer with sweeter high frequencies but also not as polite.

As much as I love the tone of my 4104, I think it would sound even better with vintage Greenbacks, Blackbacks, or even well broken in V30's.

People always bang on about how they are a perfect match for 2203/4's but that's not been my experience.

8. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Hey Kinkless, do you have any info or source where the various versions of old G12-65's are listed and described? Maybe derivable from the T-numbers? I'm about to get one from the 80s, but don't have the chance to get the serial number, and the owner doesn't know when it was made.

9. Kinkless Tetrode

We have contributors to this forum who know this stuff far better than I.

As I understand it, though, since 1968 the T number and the date code have been printed together on the frame. For example, a speaker from March, 1, 1979 would have CM01/ Txxxxx.

C=the 3rd Month
    M= the year 1979
    01 = the day of the month.

For the G12-65 years:

L=78
    M=79
    N=80
    O=81
    P=82
    Possibly R=83 and so forth

10. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Hey Kinkless. thanks for the info. This info can be found on bygonetones and elsewhere, I guess.

I was rather asking (or at least meant to do so...), if there is info on the 40 versions and how they differ in sound, look a.s.o.

11. Kinkless Tetrode

That will require somebody like Jim at Scumback Speakers who have much more experience than I to provide a better answer. You will find descriptions of 65's sound quality all over the place from warm to bright, to bassy to treblely, and all points in between.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

I was told by Duncan Boniface, a former lead speaker engineer at Celestion, the G12-65 had over 40 variations/changes in it's four year run. That puts it at being modified once every 5-6 weeks while it was being offered in the the late 70's to early 80's when it was discontinued and the G12T-75 came out.

That makes it hard to pin down as to what was the "the standard" G12-65.

13. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Thanks Jim. I guess I'll just have to try it.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  14. Scumback Speakers

One of my clients did this comparison four years ago. Looks like an original G12-65 from the pics.

15. Scumback Speakers

Duncan told me the phrase "Specifications subject to change without notice." was particularly true with this speaker. Maybe they have something condensed now, but 20 years ago he said there was just a pile of notes and paperwork on that speaker that was so thick he didn't have time to go through it all and figure it out. That's saying something for a loudspeaker engineer.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I don't have any "original" greenbacks to compare to, but I can tell you that reissue greenbacks do change their tone and mellow out considerably as you break them in. I tend to believe that they're a lot closer to originals in tone when they're fully broken in than some people give them credit for.

In any event, my reissue, well broken in greenbacks are my favorite speakers for vintage type tone. For modern tone I like EVM-12Ls, the Series II version from the 80s specifically.