Hendrix’s Marshall Settings

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by WhiteCatzs, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

You can just buy the Hendrix
    RH strat that is set up that way now.
    Mitch

Trelwheen likes this.
  2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    From what I've "heard", he used to start with everything on 10 then take off what he didn't want, rolling the palm of his hand across all the knobs. He would control the volume, tone and gain from his guitar. Of course a Strat was ideal for this, and many others have used the same technique since....Myself included.

loowood and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I remember hearing his rig sounding like it was on the verge of blowing all the speakers. A fatal crackling at the end of damped notes and on the tails of suspended notes. Sounded like a dimed amp to me in those instances.... It sounded oddly appropriate for those occasions

4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I've read lots of old interviews where Clapton said he dimed everything except the bass when he was with Cream.

My personal experience is that low gain amps usually sound glorious dimed, when the power tubes, transformer, and speakers are all adding their own distortion. It's high gain amps where most of the distortion is designed to come from the preamp that start to lose it if you turn everything too high.

5. junk notes

junk notes Active Member

Look through some of The Experience's black & white footage on youtube. Freeze or capture a still and you could spy on all knobs or individually on some camera angles on higher quality definitions.

loowood and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

Interesting thread. I'll chuck in my 2c worth..

I have never had a 1959 but I always started the major on 10 for everything and backed off the volume as necessary, but mostly did the guitar knobs thing. As I've said elsewhere I don't understand tone knobs so one is more than enough for me.

While I am a huge Hendrix fan I know little of his setups and gear, but I think some of you have missed that 60's marshalls are not high gain amps and that 60's strats have low output single coils. So a "dimed" 1959 is different to say a JCM and a strat is different to a humbucker guitar or one with overwound singles.

Majors are notoriously clean of course but even on full song from a strat it never gave enough distortion for my tastes. Mine sits atop a Vox series 90 V130 sans amp, so 4 69-71 vintage celestian G12s with the magnet caps. Maybe they are 35w maybe 75w, dunno. One had been reconed before I bought it but I have never blown a speaker. The V130 was rated at 140w but that could be the amp.

I am not left handed. I am ambidextrous but not true ambidextrous. True ambidextrous can do everything equally well with both hands. My grandfather was one. I'm the other sort, some things I do right handed some left. I started right handed tried for a year or so and struggled terribly with the guitar. One day I flipped it over and it all got 100x easier.

Having suffered with flipped right handed strats IMO there is nothing good about them. PITA. I am sure you all have read about Hendrix' earlier years struggling for money. He pawned guitars to eat and used what he could find. I suspect he settled on strats because they could be flipped easily unlike a tele or LP, and maybe were more versatile/readily availabe/cheaper or whatever than SGs or whatever. For all the overthinking and examination of every detail of his gear I bet he just winged it most of the time and when he did make a solid decision it was for simple reasons.

There were certainly left handed fenders available back to the 50's. You could also order wider fretboards. They were probably uncommon and obviously he didn't bother.

loowood, scozz, El Gringo and 2 others like this.
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I think he stuck with the strat simply because the trem was such a big part of his style.

8. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

If you don`t have this then you`re missing something really really good! Yeah it was the debut of his new band--the first edition of the BOG & yeah even though he was the headliner at Woodstock he chose to preform early Monday morning rather than late Sunday night as 'the closer'. Some really good things happened that Monday morning 50 years ago. About a year later he left the planet.
    https://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Live-at-Woodstock/dp/B0033AGPGC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4C7D2LN161X5&keywords=jimi+hendrix+woodstock+dvd&qid=1574802098&sprefix=jimi+hendrix+wo,aps,165&sr=8-1

9. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

'Hear My Train Coming' [2nd tune] is awesome!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

I was born on the Isle of Wight, England where he played his last large touring gig in the U.K on Aug 30th 1970 to an estimated crowd of 600,000. His final, final tour gig was the Isle of Fehmarn, Germany just a few days before he died. RIP brother.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I am sure someone has already said this...everything on 10 except the volume at 8. Just my guess!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

The version of that tune that was originally heard on the rainbow bridge album is the tune I will have playing at my funeral. Assuming I manage to die.

loowood, wntbtw and Scumback Speakers like this.
  13. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I agree with matthew, what is the point, you should be learning how to get the sound you want, and continue to learn as your playing improves -I remember robin trower saying he did not learn other players songs , because he wanted to sound like robin trower, not anyone else

14. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Totally agree here. If I sounded like everyone else why would anyone want me to play.
    I like what I like. Guitars/Amps/Pedals, I think I get a really nice tone. Arrived at what I believe was the magic combo for me, in the early 2000's. No guitar center Pedals for me. If I bought that stuff I'd sound more like you. I always wanted to sound like me. That being said, I have dimed my JTM45 and it sounded glorious. Unusable volume level in todays environment. Remember sound systems were very limited back then. But if you want a 60's type of tone, that's how to get it. Pedals are just icing on the cake. Dime a JTM45 and even a Strat will sustain as long as you keep string depressed. "BLISS"

slide222, loowood, K2JLX and 2 others like this.
  15. slide222

check out that Swedish clip - he's a step down

16. Kats

Kats Active Member

i didn’t really learn other people’s songs verbatim because I was lazy. Lifting a needle back and forth on a vinyl LP was ridiculous. Now with youtube/internet it’s so easy :)

Thing is, I still sound like me.

loowood, ken361, slide222 and 2 others like this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I have always held this opinion. I laugh when I read about people spending all kinds of money and time trying to sound like someone else! What a waste imo.

Just play your guitar,...or as Frank Zappa once said,....”just shut up and play yer guitar”!

18. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Umm I seem to recall the Robin Trower went out of his way to reproduce the sound and similar playing style of Hendrix..

loowood, matttornado and wntbtw like this.
  19. slide222

the style yes but have you ever heard him play purple haze , but you could say every guitarist around the world was drawn to that sound , but c'mon what will having Hendrix amp setting do for ya playing - what mods might his amps have as well anyway.
    learning other playing settings is for babies

20. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

Chasing tone is what you make of it. It's either a rabbit hole that can distract you forever or it's a happy surprise kind of bonus that can inspire you. I've found myself to be more the latter variety. I recall working on a cover recording of Blind Faith's "Presence of the Lord" and the tone I was getting for the solo (or parts of the solo anyway, as I had done a few overdubs to try and stay true to the original) were mind-blowingly accurate. Despite copying down the settings, I haven't been able to replicate that since.

loowood, Mitchell Pearrow and guzzis3 like this.