Help tweaking my 2 12 combo please.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Danny Lee, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Danny Lee

Danny Lee New Member

I can not get any reasonable tone out of this 2 12 code combo. I bought the amp for convenience as far as versatility and size. I bought a 2019 Epiphone Les Paul standard pro guitar thinking it would mess well with this amp. I've been playing for a long time and have owned countless amps and guitars over the years. I've never been more frustrated with a small rig. (With any rig for that matter) I don't have any problems editing this amp and I don't have any reason to believe that the guitar is a peace of crap. So far I've replaced the back of the amp with a new back board with some holes in it to let the speakers breathe a little. And yes I got the pedal upgrade with the amp. I put a Seymour Duncan JB model pickup in the bridge position of the Epiphone and still can't get what I'm looking for, not even close. I fully understand that most of the time, you get what you pay for. Please believe me when I say, I Researched the hell out of this amp and was convinced it was the best way to go. I've played a good handful of Epiphones through the years and I don't believe it's the guitar blowing me s#%t. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Hope all is well with the Marshall forum family.
    Danny

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Sorry Danny can be of no assistance as I play thru the DSL40.
    Should be some Code owners on here who can help.
    And :welcome: to the Marshall Forum.
    BP

3. Danny Lee

Danny Lee New Member

Thanks man. I should have went ahead and spent the paper to get something that I knew about like something with tubes from Marshall or Laney, Boogie ? Just couldn't spare that kind of paper at the time. There was a pressing project and I needed something. And I will NEVER EVER buy an amp online AGAIN EVER...

4. BanditPanda

I will tell you that I have read in here that someone had found a good tone and provided the settings for it if I remember correctly,
    I will see if I can find it for you.
    BP

5. BanditPanda

OK Here';s something from Jethro Rocker, a member here with quite a a few great Marshall amps and guitar experience.

I personally found the following:

Gain is set too high initially.
    Noise gate way too high. It chokes the sounds.
    Too many effects set initially.
    I picked a preset say with a JCM800 power amp. Kill all the effects, set noise gate way down. It can go up as necessary later.

Start setting parameters one at a time. Pick no cab sim to begin with then start rotating through them to see what you like. I find it boxy a bit and changed out the speaker to a 70/80. Gave it some life.
    Add some reverb etc a bit at a time then save it somewhere as one of your own presets.
    That's how I approached mine.

6. BanditPanda

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Danny Lee:cheers: I see you have already met BP, he is a great forum brother and his contributions are all over the forum.
    Don’t give up just yet, there is more to learn with a code amp than many others.
    Cheers Mitch

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. Danny Lee

Danny Lee New Member

Thanks for kindly replying to my plea for help with this amp. I couldn't be more grateful for the suggestions and advice. I'm gonna check into a couple more of the suggested forums on here, if I can't get what I'm looking for out of this amp I'm probably going to get rid of it and go plug into a Laney LX1202 2x12 combo or the Randall RG 1503 2x12 and see what happens with one of them. Again, I'm grateful to find a forum that doesn't seem to have a bunch of asshats randomly posting stupid crap. Whatever the outcome with this amp issue I'd like to stick around this forum and possibly be helpful to someone else if I can. Thanks again
    Danny

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

10. Danny Lee

Danny Lee New Member

So I've come to the conclusion that, the Marshall code amps are worth what you pay for them. I'm thinking there's a lot of players on this forum that are genuinely great knowledgeable guitarists that want to help out other players and possibly resolve some gear issues themselves. I'm gonna spit my 2 cents on the Marshall code 2 12 combo. First and foremost, there worth what you pay for them. The overall quality of this amp does leave a little bit to be desired. The master volume pot seems to be a very common problem with the code line. The speaker quality is definitely a huge issue in these amps. There is a remedy, replace them with some mid priced 12 inch celestions and forget it. My only problem with that is, unless you get a really good deal on them or have a couple laying around, your probably looking at a bone fifty to or more for them. That takes the total price of the amp (including the programmable pedal) between $700 to $800. Recently I've looked into some 2 12 combo amps for around the $800 range that is a couple steps up from the code amps that you just pull out of the box, plug in and play with very little to no issues. I could go on for a few minutes about my 2 cents but it would get pretty boring. So I'll give the amp 4 and a half out of 5 star review. Hope all are well on this forum.......
    Danny