Help Not Loving My 83 2204 Jcm 800 Vertical Input.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Buzzard, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

still want to get a jcm 800 cab w/g 12 65's and try that as well. Wishful thinking, they're probably hard to come by,expensive and beat on.

2. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

Yup, I lucked into my A cab early into my Marshall experience 15 or so years ago. My B cab? I finally snagged one last year...they ARE out there though! Just keep your eyes peeled

Also, don’t pass up a good 1st gen G12-75 loaded cab (1984 is first year). Excellent speakers, very similar to G12-65’s. you can tell them apart as they have a vent on the magnet. Later G12-75’s don’t.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

So, is this one of the later ones? These are in the cab that came with my 87 2203.

B5F3210E-DA7B-4C82-B9A3-D4B72467B373.jpeg

4. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

Yup, the vented ones look like this

[​IMG]

I’m speaking through personal experience of course, I have owned multiple variations of this speaker. But as always your ears will differ and what sounds the same to you may not sound the same to me.

5. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Active Member

I bought 2 modded 2203's from Paul Reed Smith in the 90's. They are fantastic amps, but I haven't played un-modified versions of this model. The reason I joined this morning was looking into a problem that developed on #2. I opened this one up yesterday to see if it was anything obvious and check out the mods. So this may help you, because Paul clipped the bright bypass (C4 and C5). That's an ice pick all right, it's 470pf.

I typically run Presence on 10 and Treble on 6 on these amps and dial the top off the bridge pickup at the guitar. Plenty of top end.

Also R22 has another 100K resister added in parallel. This one is a bit cleaner that the other with really tight bass response. Not a full on tech, so I can't explain this value change well, I suspect it impacts NFB, but kind of at the limit of my knowledge here.
    2 2203 C4C5 c.jpg
    Hope this helps.

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  6. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I’ve gotten good sounds from those (to my ears) but you do have to approach them differently than a lot of amps. You can run the gain lower but they will be very bright. Bring the bass up, mids up, and keep the treble at 5 or less. Run the presence low too. Get the master as loud as you can stand it.

For what it’s worth I HATE G12-65’s. I love Greenbacks and I like T75’s okay. Also keep in mind that if you are on-axis you will hear a lot of ice picky treble and A cabinets tend to be more trebly (imho) than B cabinets. I prefer running B cabs unless I’m standing right on top of the amp and need the angled part to hear myself.

As far as pedals, the ones I’ve played didn’t like distortion pedals. They liked booster pedals. TS9’s with the volume wound up, rangemaster type stuff... There are good sounds to be had in those amps, for sure. You do need to find them though.

One other thing to keep in mind. The 2204/2203 was not designed for home playing. They were designed for playing loud, in a band. Once you get them in traffic many of those harsh overtones disappear or, rather, they help the amp jump to the front of the mix. Play a JCM800 in a band and you won’t get lost. They’re like an 80’s supercar. Not really designed for polite trips around the countryside or going to the mall. You can do that with a modern one because they have made them more well-mannered, but the old ones were built for one thing and one thing only: hooning.

7. tidbit

tidbit Member

I have a 1980 JMP. Very similar to your 2204. For years I ran it with the treble down to 0 or 1, using the mid knob for the brightness control.
    Finally, one day I just decided to clip one leg of the input bright cap. It took less than 15 minutes. I honestly don't know why I waited so long. What an improvement! Now I have an adjustable treble (anywhere from 4 to 6.5), middle and bass.
    I've been running the amp like this for several years now and it never sounded better. Plus, it's totally reversible if you don't like it.

8. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like it’s lowering the NFB.

9. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Great info on these posts.As a 900 DR player,when I first got my 800 I didnt really dig it.Fooled around with it a bit and its the coolest amp Ive owned.The magic is in the simplicity.Turn the treble basically off,same w presence.Crank bass up.Use mids to taste.The guitars volume and tone knobs are crucial as is a decent OD pedal.Also cranking pre amp and using guitar volume to clean up is key.This has all been said and is all true.I’m getting sweet blues tones out of a amp that was/is used by metal bands-pretty cool.From Slayer to the Crowes the 800 is suprisingly versatile

Mitchell Pearrow and John BNY like this.
  10. MoreAmpsPlease

I did this session with mine if anybody want's to hear what the PRS mod sounds like.

JCarno, Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  11. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be condescending but I'm fascinated that someone complained about the tone of an amp and didn't simply adjust the eq to suit. Am I missing something? I don't start at 12 o'clock with Marshall amps. I start at 0 and bring in what I want.

12. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

have you tried a different guitar?

13. plexilespaul

a norlin era les paul (which is around the time of the jmp's and early jcm's) with 250 k pots will be a match made in heaven with those amps..

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That sounds fat and chunky, nice playing to brother :cheers:

15. MoreAmpsPlease

thanks man! BTW, thanks to searching this board I resurrected this amp from the dead yesterday. Replaced the 2 caps supplying the bias voltage (blowing fuses) and then found the a loose solder joint going to ground. Played it for an hour and no noise, no problems!

SlapHand and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Glad you got it all back to normal, they are still killer amps

MoreAmpsPlease likes this.
  17. dro

dro Active Member

V 30's I use greenbacks with thigs I want clean but for raw overdrive V 30's

18. plexilespaul

but as always in life you loose something else...I tried that with my jcm's and it killed the brightness ( at lower volumes I must say)...with the bright cap on at higher volumes the brighteness blended well with the band.

19. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

The icepick is in the treble peaking caps & not so much the brite cap over the pot IMO
    I am not in favor of removing the brite cap ..takes away the "twang" when you play a tele /strat
    I am in favor of changing the brite cap value to the 220-270 pf range
    I tend to lift a leg on both treble peak caps though
    But WTF do I know ...
    I think those cap values have been givin' g 12 75's a bad reputation for decades

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Kinkless Tetrode and K2JLX like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

I know this is a bit belated but :welcome: to the best forum ever

MoreAmpsPlease likes this.