Help needed! Marshall SV20H fizzy on some cabs..

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Steven van der Vegt, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Steven van der Vegt

Steven van der Vegt New Member

Okay guys, strange issue here, or I just might be stupid.

After hearing the Marshall Studio Vintage head in Youtube vids I fell in love with it, basically because I love the old Super Lead sounds.

I first tried it at a Music Store, but it had this really dirty fizz in the highs when I played with harder pick attack. Back at home I checked some of those video's again and didn't hear anything fizzy. I figured I just order one and try it with my own gear. I could send it back after all.

Now, I have two almost identical cabs: a Palmer 2x12" 50 watt with two Greenbacks and the 1x12" 25 watt version of the same amp. I tried the latter first and none of that fizz, it sounds awesome and exactly how I wanted with this cab. But when I use the 2x12" I get that damn fizz again. And only with that head, no fizz with my other Marshall head.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? It's really annoying and I want to figure out what causes this.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Sorry I am no help !!
    But Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Steven van der Vegt and tce63 like this.
  3. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Im thinking maybe it is the high treble and the way it beams in certain directions which is very common in guitar cabs. Can you affect how it sounds by listening to it from different positions? on axis / off axis etc? if so, it can be understood and controlled in various ways.

4. Steven van der Vegt

I would have to put that to the test, but mostly I sit or stand in front of the amp, with mixed results thus far only with this head.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Move the head away from all speakers and test it w/ the 2X12 again.
    Do not set the head on top of the cab. Move the head away from the speaker magnets.

Let us know if that worked.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

How much time is on the 1x12 speaker? How much on the 2x12?

Is it during all notes and chords or on certain notes.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Kinkless Tetrode

Could also be something like the handle rattling. Take some paper towel folded up and jam it under the handle so it can't rattle and see what happens.

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. South Park

South Park Active Member

Dime the gain. Try a different guitar with single coils. Or dime the guitar or lower the pick ups. That fizz is to much signal . Find out what the amps likes. Different string . It’s all good

tce63 likes this.
  9. Steven van der Vegt

Sounds interesting, I'll give that a try during rehearsal tomorrow. If the issue occurs only with the head on top with my 2x12", would that suggest some kind of problem in the cab?

tce63 likes this.
  10. Steven van der Vegt

There's more time on the 2x12" since I mostly use the 1x12" at home. Both would have plenty of hours on them though.

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I've posted quite a bit about this, but that was my experience with G12Ms and the SV20h too, I didn't like the top end grind that the GBs have (sounds good with my DSL100 though). Which is the reason why I got an EVH 212 with Anniversary G12H30s, sounds much smoother in the top end, has the same full mids, and a fuller low end.
    Just a matter of finding the right speaker for your amp and what you want to hear I guess. To me, the Anni G12Hs are it. I'd advise you to give it a try.

12. Steven van der Vegt

Yeah, but isn't it strange that the greenback in my 1x12" doesn't have this and the 2x12" version of the same cab does have the fizz? Same brand, same model, same construction (open back), same speaker. Only difference is that the 2x12" is ofcourse a bit bigger, has two speakers and 50 watt instead of 25. It sounds great with the 1x12", but I also want to be able to use my other cab. It's just so strange to me.

13. ampmadscientist

1.The magnetic field of the speakers could possibly interfere with the switching relays inside the amplifier. So try moving the amp away from the speakers. Nothing wrong with the cabinet actually but shielding could be added inside the speaker cab.
    2. Second possibility: solder connections inside the amp may be causing noise that is triggered by vibration of the cabinet under the amplifier. Cold connections / cracked connection can cause noises when the amp vibrates. This is a fairly common problem in guitar amps.
    Solution is to re-solder the circuit boards.

Process of elimination will narrow down which cause triggers the noises.

tce63 and Steven van der Vegt like this.
  14. Kinkless Tetrode

This is why I suspect it is the cab not the speakers. The longer board sections might be resonating contributing the unwanted harmonics. Usually, it will be more prominent on certain notes and chords such as F# or G. E note resonation is sometimes the handle. Some internal bracing might help if that is indeed the cause.

tce63 likes this.
  15. ampmadscientist

Yes it could be a resonant frequency of the cabinet....good point.:eddie:

tce63 likes this.
  16. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

If its a cab resonant issue, then if you set up a loop with a short riff or something, you could test by touching/holding/pressing different parts of the cab to see if it changes.