Help Me Please....marshall Vs Orange

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Tone 11, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tone 11

Tone 11 New Member

Hello,
    I have owned a Marshall TSL100...liked it, but sold it because the effects loop was simply not practically functional; volume changes ON vs OFF...I later discovered Orange. I own a Thunderverb 50 head coupled to an Orange PPC 2X12 cab with v30s. I love it ! However, it has a hard time cutting through the mix. Low volumes have poor headroom (as could be expected) and it has a dark sound. Listened to the Rockerverb and it seems more "airy", more bright. Wondering what Marshall has going these days in newer products that are classic British tone and that would be a competitor to the rockerverb. Yes, I know each amp is unique, but if hypothetically, I was on tour with my rockerverb and it died, and I only had Marshall to choose from, what model would I pick? Anybody intimate with both to provide some guidance?
    thanks
    tony

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I have a rockerverb for years now. To me it’s a hotter version of a JCM800..... think 2203...... but with a decent Reverb, a very good clean channel and a transparent fx. I also thinks it compares well to a JCM2000 DSL. They mine the same territory for sure. You could add the 6100 30th anniversaries as well.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I don’t play it hardly at all as I am a Marshall fan! But I bought my grandson a orange th30 , he had already purchased the ppc212, it is a bit dark for sure but he is pairing it up with a DSL40C and the tones are great, I would(if I where you) I would get the origin 50h and run both amps in dual mono!

4. Mitchell Pearrow

For the last question in your post DSL, you can make it mimic an orange! In my ears! Cheers Mitch

5. Mitchell Pearrow

And sorry I forgot to welcome you to the best forum ever. Stick around, participate, and for the hazing ritual, you must post clips, and pics of your gear! Just kidding!! Cheers Mitch :cheers:

Jon C likes this.
  6. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Rockerverbs are killer sounding. I'd say it compares favorably with any moder Marshall amps. I prefer the jubilee reissue but the rockerverbs are on my want list for sure.

7. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

It's hard to compare an Orange to a Marshall. Two opposite ends the spectrum. I've always liked the rawness of the rocker 30 myself. As for Marshall those Astorias sound pretty sweet for being a new offering. Kind of flying under the radar though...maybe the high prices are scaring people away. Too deep for my pockets!

8. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

Orange amps are intriguing, particularly as I have always liked Peter Green's tone with the Bluesbreakers, but I don't know of any current Orange amps that get into that territory so that has always held me off from buying one.

9. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Active Member

Ade Emsley stated in a video that Marshall does the high
    mid thing, and Orange does the low mids. I would not compare today's Orange amps to those of the Free, Peter
    Green era. They might share the same name, but that's about all.

classicplayer

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  10. colchar

Do they even make anything today that sounds like those older amps?

Classicplayer likes this.
  11. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Active Member

Good question! I'm not sure that they do make something with the same sound. Even if they did, they might not be the best selling of Orange amps. The guitar
    world has moved on to different kinds of music today and does that not dictate what amp designs are going to be good sellers and which are not!?

classicplayer

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    colchar likes this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I play my Thunderverb 50 with a Boss SD-1 in front of it, set the pedal vol and tone knob all the way up and gain knob all the way down. Try it and tell me what you think. If you want Marshall I think you'll like the Jubilee. Welcome to the forum!

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No love for the Mesa Fillmore 50???? That would be my pick in a heartbeat. The more I see them the more I like them.

14. Dr. Gnosis

Dr. Gnosis New Member

The only head I've ever had that came close to my custom JCM800 clone was an Orange AD30. Man, that head was killer.

15. colchar

Nothing beats killer head................

16. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

I bought a Orange PCC412 HP from MF with free shipping for $589 New a few years ago,,,guess they had to unload them...
    Sounds good with my JCM2000 100 watt head.........JT