Help Identifying Vintage Celestion Alnico (T652??)

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by fogdart, Sep 21, 2019.

1. fogdart

fogdart New Member

Hi guys... New forum member here. I've posted this thread on other forums with few results. I'm hoping the Marshall nuts can help me here!!

I’ve recently purchased these speakers from a friend. My original plan was to recone one of them (I know, sacrilegious) so that I could run it in higher wattage amps. After doing a little research I can’t find any pictures of a T652 with a smooth cone like this. Or any vintage Celestion for that matter.

Can anyone help me to identify this speaker and cone? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Before you recone, let Bygonetones chime in. He will know what's up with these.
    And, welcome to the forum!

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

I don't know much about those sorry, but they are not guitar speakers. Interesting speakers though. What did you find them inside?

I think the '3563' on the back of the magnet is likely to be the T model number. There is a GL12 mentioned in the old catalogues, and it was more expensive than the G12. Notice the 10 watt power rating, so go easy with them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a similar speaker model T1095 that has the smooth cone like that. But the ones I have seen had the 009 pulsonic stamp, yours are 001. The T1095's turn up on ebay every now and again. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestion-G12-12-034-Speaker-15-Ohms-Hospiscare-/383034390351?hash=item592ea0f74f:g:EcwAAOSwyvtdHcZz&nma=true&si=jeZ%2FpgC%2FJl6ZVXaOa70Wy4%2FqoOM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm guessing they were the top of the line full range speakers for hifi. Maybe email drdecibel@celestion.com and see if they can shed any more light on it.

Unless they are badly coil rubbing I would definitely think twice about reconing them, they look in excellent condition. Maybe sell them to an audiophile.

4. fogdart

fogdart New Member

That’s wonderful info, and I really appreciate you taking the time to go that in-depth!

You’re right that I should probably sell them to an audiophile, but for interests sake, do you figure that they could be reconed with a Celestion guitar speaker cone kit? And at that point would they would like a T652 that had been reconed?

5. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

So long as they have the same voice coil diameter (1.75") you can put any matching Celestion cone you like in there. So yes they would sound like a reconed T652. I reconed a T1095 a few years ago with a greenback kit. If money is no object go for the more expensive vox blue kit. Would be a shame to destroy that pair though, Im sure someone out there will appreciate them for what they are.

6. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Bygone's right, you should probably sell them to an audiophile, or blues player that wants the organic sound of the
    original cones and alnico.

Don't tear one up just to experiment.

My two cents.

7. fogdart

fogdart New Member

Well, I really do appreciate the input gentleman.

For the sake of preserving history I would consider selling them. Problem is, I don’t have any audiophile friends nor am I about to join an audiophile forum. If anyone knows someone who might be interested they’re welcome to to PM me or on the Guitars Canada forum. I’ve got over 40 positive reviews on the Guitars Canada forum and another 18 on Reverb.

Cheers,
    Matt

8. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    I would highly recommend trying at diyaudio.com

fogdart likes this.