Help Identifying "jcm 800"

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by dibble, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dibble

dibble New Member

Just picked this up online as 'working'. It's not. missing at least a 1 amp fuse and a 12AX7. Considering returning it. the transformer says JTM 1995. But, that's not the end of the world if that's all that's been replaced. So, I searched through all the usual places for date coding this thing. But, there's no letter code on the plate...just numbers. And, the model S/A model code for a 50 watt, even though it says 100w right on the same panel (and on the spec panel).

There's also cutouts in the chassis for 2 more ???? somethings ??? that I can't find in any other JCM800 pictures

Can anyone identify this thing?

Attached Files:

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

It says 2203 right on the model plate. Plus 4 power tubes would indicate a 100 watt 2203.
    It has the DI output as well which would mean later than early 80s.
    Serial number is all wrong. From Jan 1984 to October 1992 the model letter first, then the date letter second, were before the serial number.
    In any case, anyone who sells an amp like that as working is nuts. If you can get for a couple hundred? Who knows what else is amiss??

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. EddievanDamon#2

EddievanDamon#2 Active Member

I'll be honest I have an 83 2203 and the inside of yours looks nothing like mine. Looks like someone maybe was gonna Mod it then decided against it. I'd take it back if you can. Looks like a mess!

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. EddievanDamon#2

EddievanDamon#2 Active Member

Where is the build sticker? I don't see one.

5. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

Definitely Late ‘84-‘89 JCM 800 2203. Modded at some point for 2 extra 12ax7’s not the end of the world for a player. OT most likely replaced especially if it has a JTM date and model code on it. It’s also quite crooked on the bracket, kind of a sloppy job, I’d love to see the insides...probably more shoddy work.

Also, I see your missing preamp tube...it’s layingdown by the power transformer

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes a mess for sure!! I'd return it if seller claimed it to be working. Awful looking thing.

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Was it really really cheap.
    How are your fixing skills?

8. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Love to see the inside.

9. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Can’t be late 80’s, OP already stated that there is no letter in front of the serial number. Also, the choke is in the middle. My 86 2203 and 2204 both have the OT in the middle.

10. dibble

dibble New Member

Thanks, guys. This hot mess is going back from where it came.

11. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

You will likely want to say some incantations to rid your home of any retarded spirits that may have come in on that thing.

12. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

How much did you pay?..if it was only $200 I would keep it and fix it...$1000...I'd be pissed and would send it back.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. dibble

dibble New Member

Most vintage 2203s are going for $1400 ish. I was happy to get one for $1000. So, ya im in the second category.

I don’t mind torn tolex and patina and dust on used 40 year old gear. I do mind being told “here’s a working original amp” and it’s anything but.

14. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

Did you try it ? Put the preamp valve back in and new fuse in, fire it up see what pops lol

15. dibble

dibble New Member

I don’t have a fuse on hand. Needs a 30mm that I’ll have to special order. Best to just pack it back up and return to sender. Would have been interesting to hear it. If it had worked out of the box and I liked what I heard I might not have rushed to check the innards.

16. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

Could just need a fuse and sound incredible , preamp valve may of fell out when shipped? We have Plenty of 30mm/32mm fuses around here in AU (small country town) you should be able to grab a handful from any little electrical repairs store or even a auto supplies or musical instrument store.

17. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

That's why I voice against ANY mods to marshalls. It's a rocky road that ends up like this amp. A change in the NFB tap or clip a bright cap ok. But all else are VERBOTEN.

18. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with modding a Marshall, it all comes down to experience of the tech involved...it’s only a rocky road if you make it a rocky road. Besides, they more inexperienced hacks that mess up or “ruin” perfectly good amps makes for cheap and easy profit margins for those of us that know what we’re doing.

For the price the OP paid, yes I agree send it back and get a refund. As for finding amps like that at a bargain price for repair...hell thats how I acquire most of my surplus gear money.