Hello and getting details on G12T speakers

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by DistrictOfJP, Oct 23, 2019.

1. DistrictOfJP

DistrictOfJP New Member

Hello Marshall Forums! New to the site and to Marshall amplification although I have played guitar my whole life. Recently I have hauled out all my old gear, one part of which was a 30 year old Crate 4x12 slant, filled with 3 cheap 4ohm taiwan speakers and what was described to me as a 'Black Widow' back 30 years ago when I would have bought anything named Black Widow (Scarlett wasn't even born yet I don't think).
    So in my search to do things right this time, I purchased two Marshall Celestion G12T 8ohm speakers, which are combined with the aforementioned unmarked 8ohm 'Black Widow' and a Celestion Modern Lead from a Laney AOR30. It works for me but I am just curious on how I can find out more about these G12T speakers. The music store where I picked up the speakers mentioned that they came out of a 60 watt amp that wasn't fixable but I would like to know for sure what wattage they are rated at etc - any advice here about how I could tell, there is little other marking on them.

Thank you, glad to be learning so much from this site - play loud!

jp

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Would those be G12T75 speakers? If so, those were pretty much the standard speakers provided in Marshall JCM800 series 1960A top/angled and 1960B bottom/straight front cabinets. Generally it'd be easy to tell because the data plate would indicate a 300 watt power rating. It's the only common type of Celestion speaker that has a 75 watt power rating so when you see a 300 watt rated 4x12 Marshall cab, it's nearly certain that it came factory equipped with
    four G12T75s.

It's a good speaker that has a very classic 70s rock sound to it. The sound of KISS would be a 70s Marshall running cabinets full of these speakers.

Generally you'd install four 16 ohm G12T75s in a 4x12 and end up with a 16 ohm load when wired the usual series-parallel way.

8 ohm speakers are more commonly found in 2x12 cabinets.

3. DistrictOfJP

DistrictOfJP New Member

Yes, I think they came from a 2x12, they only say G12T, no additional number after that. The only other legible writing is an 8ohm stamp.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Pictures?

5. Edokter

Edokter Member

The ones labelled 'G12T' are in fact old incarnations of the G12T-100's, later marketed as the G12T 'hot' 100. As the name implies, they are rated 100 watt. Their sound is very close to their 75 counterpart. They came installed in the first series higher power Valvestate, like the 8080 combo, and early MkII Valvestate combo's [edit] where they were labeled as Celestion 'Goldback' speakers. [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    DistrictOfJP likes this.
  6. DistrictOfJP

DistrictOfJP New Member

I would have expected to find they were 30w speakers since they came out of a 60w combo but I don't have exact details. G12T-jp.jpg

7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I think @Edokter is correct. That speaker is the stock for the Valvestate 8080 (80W).

marshall-8080-valvestate-80v-511462[1]-1500.jpg

DistrictOfJP likes this.
  8. DistrictOfJP

DistrictOfJP New Member

Cool, thank you! I am happy with the sound and the deal I got.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

The G12T-100 is a decent speaker. Supposedly a higher wattage version of the G12T-75, but Celestion do not state this.
    Reputed to have a slightly better bass response than the 75.
    I am using two G12T-100 16 Ohm together in a VS65R and a 1912 cab. They sound great.

10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Cut off those ends and solder the speaker wires. Cheap insurance.

11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to the Forum new MF’r!!

DistrictOfJP likes this.