Headphone jack attenuation

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jak, Apr 10, 2020.

1. jak

jak Member

hi. Is it normal for there to be any type of sound quality loss when plugging an amp's speaker into the headphone jack for wattage attenuation? I have always done this with my 4001 studio 15 with no issues but I'm trying to diagnose a possible problem or figure out if my ears just changed. Even with my NS2 I only notice more noise with the speaker in the full power 8 ohm jack vs the speaker jack and I know my ears are what matters but I was just wondering.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It might not be a good idea to run a speaker from the headphone jack. Headphones are 50-300 ohm. Speaker is 4-16 ohm.

"I only notice more noise with the speaker in the full power 8 ohm jack vs the speaker jack..."

Try to explain that better. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to tell us.

3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

What’s an NS2?

4. jak

jak Member

The amp's speaker gets full power when plugged into the 8ohm jack. But there is a headphones jack next to the normal speaker jack. If you plug into that, it attenuates the output to th speaker to 5watts I think. The amp's manual from Marshall suggests doing that for 'attenuated' or low volume playing.

So I was wondering of people familiar with marshalls that have that feature would indicate that they have noticed a tonal difference when playing thru the attenuated headphone jack vs. the speakers full power 8ohm jack.

Of course with the gain pot on 10 and the separate 'output level' pot varying low to high, there's a noticeable tone difference, but again, I was wondering if the attenuated playing resulted in a similar tone loss.

I've used that headphone jack for the speaker for ages and the sound was beautiful. But now I'm noticing something just missing from my sound and I don't know if it's real or my ears changing.

To clarify what you asked specifically, playing thru the speakers normal 15w 8ohm jack has only added more volume (of course) and hiss compared to the attenuated jack; but the tone has always been identical to me. Now as I said something's seems off. And it doesn't seem to improve by going straight into the 15w speaker jack. But it's hard to say with the hiss.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. jak

jak Member

Sorry, that would be the boss noise suppressor 2 pedal. I was saying that the hiss is the only difference between the 15w vs 5 watt jacks, even with the ns2, regardless of the configuration. (There are a few ways to use the ns2 without an fx loop: in line, send/return, "X" pattern)

Thanks

6. jak

jak Member

Well, I think I’m going to have to start another thread because somethings definitely wrong with the amp. I’d still like to know if using that headphone jack as Marshall suggests for attenuated playing what affect tone. They advise it doesn’t, that the tubes do exactly what they do when the speaker is plugged into the full power speaker jack, the only thing is volume is reduced. But it looks like I have bigger problems. Thank you both for attempting to help me here. Maybe you can help in the other thread.

7. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe they can help you in the Workbench.

8. jak

jak Member

Yeah, thanks again.