HEADLESS GUITARS. Why not ?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by gw247, Jun 14, 2019.

1. gw247

gw247 Member

I got a prototype by Seismic Audio. I asked about it while making a "big deal" with Brad. He gave it to me. I like Brad.... So I have a "headless strat" HSH, no paint, trim and the only one ever to be made. I REALLY should plug it in. I don't how to approach the finish. Basswood is light and PLAIN grain. He also mentioned "knockoff" greenbacks. HMMM...

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:photos: please... :)...

ricksconnected and gw247 like this.
  3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

When did Siesmic Audio get into headless guitars?
    More information would be helpful and appreciated.

Steinberger?????
    LSR?????

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    gw247 likes this.
  4. gw247

gw247 Member

I think it was a prototype for a diy kit. I saw it at the warehouse and Brad wanted me to have it, since I asked about buying it. I've not had any luck with iPhone pictures here, except the X2 tag.

5. mickeydg5

A copy and paste of the jpeg may work if pixels are small enough.

gw247 likes this.
  6. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Active Member

Where do you jam your cancer stick if there aint no headstock?

gw247 and Phony iommi like this.
  7. mickeydg5

I do not like cancer sticks. I also do not care about anyone and their cancer sticks.

But if you must have a cancer stick then place it between the nut and first fret on the first string next to your Stick Up on the back of the neck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  8. gw247

gw247 Member

I played it for a minute and uh oh, the open high E string buzzes on the zero fret. Maybe there's a filter stuck in there. It does have an Ibanez "monkey grip", which may help me find a place to hang it.

I'm trying to learn acoustic. Guitarists/singers should be exempt from yard projects. "Welcome to the Jungle" comes to mind.

9. mickeydg5

Would not that filter raise the string and dampen/mute it? No open high E. :D

gw247 likes this.
  10. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Active Member

Yeah, my mom died of lung cancer and I've, believe it or not, continued to struggle w tobacco for most of my adult life. Going on a year and half clean tho, now.

MarshallDog, mickeydg5 and gw247 like this.
  11. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I love steinbergers they are my favorite guitars i own

I have an original one from the late 80s but i havnt got it out in years, its stashed away where i hide my guns and stuff.

I also have a 5 string bass that matches the sunburst one on the right

The black one on th eleft has an old old set of duncan blackouts ive never seen them before. The humbucker is running 18volts and the single coil is on 9, the center is just for looks to fill the cavity.
    Bergers.jpg

mickeydg5, Dogs of Doom and gw247 like this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

you have 3 batteries in that?

from what I understand, the Blackouts do not benefit from 18 volt...

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I has a Steinberger spirit for a travelling guitar to take onto the oil rigs for a while (the only full sized guitar I could fit in my luggage). This was the smaller one without the body too. I really could not get on with it. I never realised before, but I need the body to hug with my arm to keep the whole thing stable. Without it the whole thing was uncontrollable. Had to do all the stabilising with my fretting hand. Too much hard work.
    Had no problem with the lack of headstock though, and the tremolo had a locking catch that worked a treat. But I did carry a stubby screwdriver to tune the damn thing properly.

gw247 likes this.
  14. gw247

gw247 Member

15. gw247

gw247 Member

Those are killer! Basswood's won't stain like that but I could veneer some maple over it. The cut away for the fine tuners on mine is too deep so I may change its pointy hook to a shorter S curve to meet the center. I hope I can fix the buzz on the zero fret. Thanks for posting your picture. I can see that the kit owes its style to Steinberger.

16. BowerR64

Well i don't know how they work now, i got these in the early 90's and i can tell a difference.

18 volts on the humbucker gave it more gain or output or something but i didn't like how 18 v sounded on the single coil so yeah, i stuffed 3 9 volts in it. I tried to some how tap off the 18 volt so i only had to run 2 but i couldn't figure out a way that worked.

Now that i play different music i may like the 9 v on both now. Its been like 10 years since iv'e plugged any of em in.

I'm on a mahogany kick right now so i may be disappointed in their tone now. I think the natural finish and the sunburst one is ash or alder but i know the blue one claims its "hard rock maple" man i cant imagine how bright an all maple body would sound *cringes*

I know my good one from the 90's i think its called GR4R or something like that its mahogany with a solid graphite neck.

gw247 likes this.
  17. BowerR64

The steinberger tremolo design sucks, it uses a single spring and instead of pulling the springs like the floyd it compresses it with a tongue that hangs down and they are not stable at all. The only good thing about em is they have alot more mass then a floyd, plus the zero nut is actually just a fret so they have really good sustain for a as little as they are.

Its hard to say without looking at it whats wrong but check the break after the zero nut maybe it doesnt have enough break. If its buzzing on the first fret just raise the string and put a little strip cut from a pop can under the string it should raise it enough but still have the same sustain and tone.

gw247 likes this.
  18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I just never got into the look of the headless guitars!

gw247 likes this.
  19. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Kind of like a chick getting used to a headless ---- :shock:

20. BowerR64

Everyone needs atleast one steinberger. I will agree the boat oar/broom stick ones arnt that great to look at but man they are super small if you like skinny necks they are really nice to play.

They lay really flat and with the design they dont fall over if you lean them up against an amp or a wall.

One year when i only had one guitar left (the steinberger) i left it in the trunk all winter and it didnt even faze the graphite neck, yea the nitro finish checked like crazy but the neck is still straight as an arrow.

I kinda like the look of the steinberger strats for some reason they have a look reminds me of a BC Rich, a little like the Ibanez Voyager and the strat body version doesnt feel that bad when playing it

gw247 likes this.