Heading to the Rainbow Concert

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Deep Purple fan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

im in Munich and heading to Rainbow show at the famous Olympia Halle. As long as I have connectivity I will provide updates.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  2. Deep Purple fan

3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Please share your review and thoughts as I would be interested please . P.S , that is so awesome getting to see Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow :headbanger:

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  4. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Oh man

5. Deep Purple fan

For sure. With photos, set list and review. Big write up on front page of entertainment section of Munich news paper about Ritchie, Rainbow and a purple.

6. Deep Purple fan

AE599CD0-9208-4CEC-B3C4-C3FBB1F137CE.jpeg 91073ECF-B5F2-4FC9-975A-1FFFFC5E3D56.jpeg B483772F-0409-4975-A8EA-AE518F69750C.jpeg F016F08D-ACE6-41A4-9981-3D2A2380C856.jpeg 788FC7AD-3C6A-42F0-9D58-E0F3BD8118F3.jpeg 5BAC8D68-1000-4518-BD25-21BDA7AE4F9A.jpeg

Ok, just got back from the Rainbow show. I did this more for nostalgia than anything. I figured this was my goodbye so to speak to Blackmore who is most influential in my love of the guitar. The guy inspired me.

I saw a concert in the first batch of new Rainbow shows, a concert in Stuttgart in 2016. Was not expecting much, hoping for competent after 20 plus years of not playing rock. That show was fun, song selection was good and the crowd ate it up. Saw some mixed reviews but personally thought it was a ok.

I saw some videos of more recent shows and I thought Ritchie sounded bad, he could not keep up, made obvious mistakes. So going into this the analogy is like going to the Ali-Holmes fight. You know Ali is getting beat but he looked great at 218 pounds and you thought maybe he can do it.....until Holmes beats the crap out of him for 9 rounds and knocks him to submission. I thought the same might happen tonight. Could Ritchie step up?

The short answer is he really did. Great show. Was it 72 Purple amazing....no! Was it 77 Dio era Rainbow.....no!. But Ritchie was really into it tonight. Very active. Was handing out shots of whisky from row. His tone tonight was better than 2016. He clearly rehearsed and worked out a bunch of solos. To the Ali analogy.....was it Ali -Forman........ no.....more like Ali -Lyle. Blackmore showed he can still have significant moments of brilliance. Not a mere flash.

Set list was Spot Light Kid (1981 Rainbow Difficult to Cure), I Surrender (Difficult to Cure), Mistreated (Deep Purple Burn 1974), Since You've been Gone (1979 Rainbow Difficult to Cure), Man on the Silver Mountain (1975 RB’s Rainbow) / My Women from Tokyo (1973 DP Who do we think we are) medley, Perfect Strangers (1985 Deep Purple Perfect Strangers) , Black Night (1970 Deep Purple in Rock), Difficult to Cure (1981 Rainbow Difficult to Cure), All Night Long (1979 Rainbow Down to Earth). Stargazer (1976 Rainbow Rising), Long Live Rock n Roll (1978 Rainbow Long Live Rock n Roll), Carry on Jon (2012 Tribute to the late Jon Lord), Burn (1974 DP Burn). and the encore was Smoke on the Water (1971 Deep Purple Machine Head).

Gear - Ritchie played only strats all night. Not many changed guitars. One had the Roland and he used that a few times. The amp were Engl Sovereign combos......like last time. No Marshall Major. No Engl Blackmore Signature Head. By the way, no Fender Custom Shop 1968 reissue Blackmore Strats. His tone was about right. Much better than before.

7. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Lucky bastard! :dude:

Is Rainbow even touring in the USA? I doubt it...

tce63, Deep Purple fan and CraigP like this.
  8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I saw Rainbow when they first came to America with Dio.

They were great.

I saw Rainbow again with Graham Bonnet on vocals.

Ritchie should have paid me to see the band.

9. Deep Purple fan

No. He only does 4 or so rock shows a year.

tce63 and 67Mopar like this.
  10. 67Mopar

I saw Black Sabbath on their "Heaven and Hell" tour. Awesome concert! Whitford - St. Holmes opened for them. They were okay, I guess?

tce63 and Deep Purple fan like this.
  11. Deep Purple fan

Another point I forgot, the German audience is awesome. If you can do a concert there it’s fun! The people sing throughout the concert....and I mean sing.....and most know most of the words. Zero mass exodus for the exits before the encore like in the states. I saw Boston recently in Virginia, as soon as Don’t look back and More than a feeling we’re played half the audience hauled ass. In Germany folks rock to the end. Walking to the train station after there was a street musician playing on an electric and singing as a one piece Purple toons. Great atmosphere and you can legally drink on the train.

The other thing is it is still a Rock n Roll loving country. I’m sure there is that pop shit Beyeonce type shit but they know what is big in the Rock world. The tv and main papers all covered the Rainbow show and there were nice articles written about Ritchie, Purple and Rainbow.

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  12. Deep Purple fan

13. 67Mopar

That's cool! Here in the USA, rock has been replaced with politics.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. fifteenohms

SICK!

I don’t know what to say.

15. fifteenohms

I wasn’t a fan of Blackmore in my elementary-school years.

Then in my teens I found how essential it was to have a functional knowledge of his riffs.

Later when I bumped into him, how rude he was, and how I found a quandary between what I liked about his accomplishments vs what I don’t like about him as a person.

Then, how I missed all that he was the past 20 or so years, right?

Does anyone else feel like that I don’t know but I get super excited at the thought Rainbow as one of the great catalogues out there with the original head of it, is going out once more.

This is great in so many ways for all despite what I dislike of the guy.

Fanatastic writer composer player. Uncanny guy!

Boxtrot56 and Deep Purple fan like this.
  16. fifteenohms

AND I LLLLLLLLOVE THAT SHOW POSTER!

17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I was just listening to a recording of Sweden Rock Fest. They sound pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing them...

Deep Purple fan and fifteenohms like this.
  18. Deep Purple fan

I missed seeing Lemmy and Motörhead. I’ve never seen Page or Plant. These guys, like Ritchie, are getting old. If you want to see them and you get a chance.... go. There is nothing like them. I’m seeing the Stones in July because at their age it’s now or maybe never.

Boxtrot56 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  19. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I saw Rainbow a few x's during the Turner era. I've seen Page, in the Firm twice. I saw Motorhead, open for the Blizzard of Ozz. I haven't seen Plant, but, have no real desire anymore, since he's taken up hillbilly yodel music..

I have a couple people on my bucket list. I'd just go, if they (Rainbow) played around here. It's probably been since around 1983, since I saw Blackmore. Glover on bass...

My bucket:

Jeff Beck
    Trower

can't think of anyone else right off...

Deep Purple fan and Trident like this.
  20. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member