Haze 40 Normal Channel Only Was Cutting Out/problem Solved

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by tomykoz, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

SYMPTOM'S:
    had occasional cut out of my normal channel..... it would slowly start dropping in volume and become distorted and brittle sounding....turning the volume up on the guitar and amp seemed to kick it back in again....then it was hard to get it to do it again....sometimes it would do it when i first turned the amp on sometimes after 30 minutes....no set pattern.

...i put in new pre-amp tubes in which seemed to fix it for a while but then it did it again.

....i later found out i could get it to do the drop out quick if i put the amp in standby mode then back on again a few times.

MY THOUGHT PROCESS ON WHAT IT WAS AND WASN'T(since my tech and problem finding skills are limited):

.....it wasn't the pre-amp tubes(put new ones and even switched them around to make sure it wasnt a bad tube)
    ......it wasn't a heating up issue because sometimes it did it as soon as i turned the amp on.

.....no cracked resisters or any burn marks anywhere.

.....couldnt be the power amp section because when the cut out occurred the overdrive channel would still work.

.....wasnt a failed capacitor saw no visible signs of tops bubbled up(im guessing if a capacitor fails in the pre-amp section that it would be a constant problem not intermittent)

.....im thinking it could be a solder joint or v1 tube socket problem.

TESTING:(do this at your own risk,i dont recommend you do this if your a novice)

.....i did a quick inspection of the solder joints in the pre-amp stage(was only able to inspect the one side, i wasn't about to take out the circuit board to see the other side). saw a few that looked questionable around R40 resister.

.....i turned the amp on and got the problem to occur again by turning the standby on and off a few times.....then i carefully with a wooden stick started pushing on solder connections in and around v1.....finally when i pushed on pin #2 on v1 the problem went away :).....rechecked several times to make sure that was it and yes , that was the problem spot..

SOLUTION:
    .....so i shut the amp off....pulled the power cord....turned the power switches on...waited for capacitors to drain just incase,electricity scares me :)

.....with my soldering iron i reheated and applied a small amount of solder to pin #2 on the v1 socket....i know the propper way would have been to suck out the solder put flux on the joint and re-solder....but i did it the quick way :)

....so far no more cut out on the normal channel

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    myersbw likes this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Wow, so glad to hear you figured out a real pain in the a-s problem. Those are the most frustrating and time consuming types.

tomykoz likes this.
  3. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

yep...i guess i got lucky...i only paid $160 for the amp.....the guy i bought this amp off of was afraid to take it to a tech in fear he would be paying more to repair it than it was worth....i've heard horror stories of hourly bills of upwards of $300 just to find a cutout problem....techs in my area charge $75 per hour.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

160.00 a great price seeing as you got it fixed yourself...

tomykoz likes this.
  5. myersbw

myersbw Well-Known Member

The guy is right...time is money...it is so nice to be handy! Great job!

tomykoz likes this.