Haze 15 mod

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by headcrash, Feb 2, 2020.

1. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

I recently had the chance to get a Haze 15 pretty cheap, and thought, why not.

While the clean channel sounds quite good stock, the gain channel just didn't do it for me.
    Since its architecture is 2203/2204-ish, I modded it that way, but with some taming of the trebliness, and a switch that adds a reasonable amount of gain for a more hi gain-ish sound (not really by nowadays standards).
    Schem attached, sounds here:

Some more infos on the recording on the soundcloud page.

I could imagine, that these modifications could sound really good on any 2203/2204-ish amplifier. They're done quite simple and quickly, but to mee sound really good.

Attached Files:

Micky and BftGibson like this.
  2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

pretty cool... left mine stock...was really surprised how thick it recorded. Kinda use the lil bugger for edge of OD driving the 6v6..into jensens for nice warm-thick leads. really like the amp.

headcrash likes this.
  3. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

That tone doesn't suck, dude.

headcrash likes this.
  4. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

i like the added cold clipper
    have you messed around with a soldano-like 39k? recent build i put that cathode resistor on a 40k pot in series with a 6k8 resistor. all the way up is TIGHT. it's amazing how it goes from loose to tight with just the turn of a pot

5. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

No, not recently. I remember experimenting with the Soldano circuit when I started understanding guitar amp circuits some 15 years ago or so. But I guess I wouldn't have understood the concept of a cold clipper back then. Should be worth a try :)