Having A Small Conundrum Of Sorts Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by bobpick68, Dec 21, 2018.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Active Member

I have a 65 Deluxe Reverb FSR Limited that is just sitting under it's cover in brand new condition. I do love how it sounds but it's not an amp I would ever use on a regular basis. I don't think I will live long enough for it to get to collector status or anything like that but OTOH I do plan on having a recording studio within the next 2 years. Pretty sure I won't have a change of heart musically. I am over 50 and still love to play hard rock and metal.

I won't say I dont need money because I think everyone needs money regardless of their financial status or situation but there are things I could buy with it that would certainly serve me better in the immediate and distant future.

So why can't I bring myself to sell this thing? Every time I get up the gumption and motivation to sell it, I talk myself out of it. I think it's mostly because I dont have any other amps that look like it. It has that beautiful Wine Red tolex on it and the wheat grille cloth. A friend of mine who comes over to jam here and there has offered me a pretty fair price for it several times. I let him play through it once and he was smitten with it afterwards. I HATE selling gear to friends unless it's some crazy good deal they couldnt get elsewhere. I'd feel so bad if the OT fried on him 3 months down the road or something else major went wrong.

Eh who knows maybe I will stick it up on Reverb and see what it fetches. Or maybe put it up locally as trade only deal and try to snag a JCM800 for it or something similar. It's not quite in JCM800 price range but it's close enough and new enough to where someone might bite on a straight up swap.

Just typing out my thoughts. What would you do if you were me? Talk me into it/out of it. Go ahead. :)

Trelwheen and ricksconnected like this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The 65 Deluxe is a blues amp, and it is one of the best sounding Fender amps produced in a long time.
    It's not an amp for hard rock / metal. And it is not an amp for large venues; mostly at home in small spaces and recording studios.

Mitchell Pearrow and bobpick68 like this.
  3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Sell it to your friend and safe the hassle...cut him a deal, too!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Active Member

I don't see the conundrum. You love the way it looks, but the sound doesn't fit your needs.

Sell or trade it, get something that sounds great and looks good.

Fender has done lots of FSR DRRI's. None of them have ever become collectable. Used ones sell for the same as normal DRRI's. And FSR's aren't strict limited editions -- Fender may do another batch of wine/wheats someday.

They've been making the reissues longer than the originals, and they've made more of the reissues than the originals. And they continue to make them. Fine amps for their intended purpose, but just interchangeable commodities.

If someday you decide you need the DRRI tone for your studio, you can buy a lightly used one for the same price you sell this one for. Might take you a while if you need red/wheat, but they've done other colors that might float your boat.

Or find one with a few scuffs or torn grille, and use the money you save to reTolex and recloth it.

5. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

one amp I wouldn't get rid of if I had one.
    the tones are impressive in these and they work
    with pedals pretty good. when used for what they were designed to do these are just damn hard to beat.

6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey Bob. Just a few points to make.
    1. We all have extra amps sitting around with covers on them not getting used. We often think about selling them but generally don't because, based on past experience, we usually regret it. lol.
    2. You remember Andy from ProGuitarShop.com? He always used a DRRI to demo guitars and pedals. Always got great tones. It would be a great platform for you if you planned to get your heavy rock and metal tones through pedals
    3. As previously mentioned the DRRI is not a stand alone heavy rock or metal amp.
    4.It may look real pretty but if it's not working for you then what's the point?
    So if you're averse to achieving your desired tones through pedals then definitely get an amp that will serve you better in your chosen genres of music.
    :2c:
    BP

7. bobpick68

bobpick68 Active Member

Thanks for the cool informed responses everyone. I have listed it locally to see if it will sell or a trade comes up. The local market is bad right now so if it doesn't sell there then to reverb she goes. Lucky for me and a potential buyer I know how to ship an amp. I just dislike doing it.

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  8. ricksconnected

its Christmas.
    all used markets are down.

9. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

1) If the conundrum is too small, don't try to wear it. It might split open. Give it to someone with a small pecker.

2) The DR is a great amp and would be an asset in your future studio.

3) A JCM800 would also be an asset in the studio, with the added bonus that it's more the kind of amp that you'd probably enjoy. A JCM800 beats just about anything.

4) I wouldn't try to sell anything right now.... I'd wait until after the holidays.

5) Speaking of the holidays....Merry Christmas!

10. danfrank

danfrank Well-Known Member

Is it an actual '65 amp or a reissue?
    If it's the real deal, keep it as with regular maintenance they last forever.

If it's a reissue, sell the piece of $heite as the Fender reissues' build quality sucks big time (cheap PC Boards) and once they start having problems, it's downhill from there.
    I work with a guy and he's always talking about the prices of Fender reissues vs a mid to late 1970s silverface... For the same price as a new reissue, you can get a silverface and put some money into it to fix it up, and the SF will last forever... Overall a much better deal.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the FSR edition... If it's built like the old BF or SF amps, keep it. If it's built like the other reissues, sell it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    bobpick68 likes this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Be a good friend and sell it to your friend. Also saves you the hassle of shipping. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  12. bobpick68

bobpick68 Active Member

No it's a re-issue. I have no idea how it's built but it is a great amp for sure I just have no real world use for it.

13. bobpick68

bobpick68 Active Member

Same to you Merry Christmas and that's a great point. Most folks have already spent their money.

14. ricksconnected

if thre is just no use whatsoever, purge it for something you can use now
    if the fender just isn't your bag at all.

15. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Gone! Man i wish i kept some amps i let go but you cant keep everything.

Trelwheen likes this.
  16. Robus

Robus Active Member

The Deluxe is incredibly useful as a recording amp.

17. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you had yourself 75% talked into selling it, and you put it up. Did you at least offer it to your friend at any price? If I offered to buy an amp from a friend and they never accepted but then I found they put it up for sale, without telling me; I would wonder what is up. At any rate, hopefully it will sell for you, and you can get something more usable for yourself.

ricksconnected and bobpick68 like this.
  18. bad565ss

bad565ss Active Member

I would just sell it to my buddy for a good price. Win/Win.

Mitchell Pearrow and bobpick68 like this.
  19. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Unless you play blues, then it's a keeper.

And so it is time for you to audition DSL.

bobpick68 likes this.
  20. Robus

Robus Active Member

The Deluxe can do much more than blues. For starters it has an awesome clean tone, which is useful in most genres.