Harry Kolbe Modded 71 Super Lead

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by John DeVries, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    That Hiwatt is a beautiful thing to behold. That is craftsmanship personified...

:hippie::pirate::uk:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Gregg Livesay

Gregg Livesay New Member

The small grey box is actually Harry’s solid state pre amp that he incloses inside. He did that so no one could see what it actually is or steal it. If you attempt to take apart the box the circuitry will be ruined.

3. John DeVries

John DeVries New Member

The amp did find a new home on the east coast to someone who appreciates it for what it is.
    How did it sound?
    Three channel amp.
    The lead channel was exceptional. Everything that is glorious. Thick, not overly compressed, huge amounts of gain with clarity. Awesome sounding no matter what volume it was at.
    Rhythm channel and clean channel were useless, Thin, bright and brittle unless you re-set everything. Great effects loop. It was also the quietest tube amp I have ever heard, I thought it was blown when I first plugged it in because of the lack of noise.
    The amp has similar issues to other modded Marshalls of the era like the shared EQ. The lead channel was awesome, but I can get the same tone out of my Yeti, which leads me to believe it was just a variation of the "super secret" diode clipping circuit. Harry did do some neat things in there, I should have taken more time and a multimeter to it.
    It is a work of art in it's own way, a time capsule, and a testament to one guys vision of the ultimate Marshall tone.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. Gregg Livesay

Gregg Livesay New Member

Nik Henville likes this.
  5. Gregg Livesay

Gregg Livesay New Member

First of all I can say that Harry’s amps are the loudest Marshalls I’ve ever heard. Quite possibly the loudest amps I’ve ever heard. His mod when tweaked properly sounds incredible. The amp has a huge amount of natural gain but it’s not compressed gain like you would hear in an Engl amp. Harry’s amp “breaths” and the clarity is amazing.

Nik Henville likes this.
  6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Too bad it sounds so sterile and clean.....looks great.
    The new hiwatt seems to be the opposite, a real monster.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It sounds so clean it's disturbing.
    It defies every attempt to make the sound break up into distortion.

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

They do crunch at 7 or 8 on the dial and do have a master volume. Great pedal platforms and they do test your technique as there is no hiding your mistakes.

9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

ps going to build a Jimmy Page Version 100w next. Egged in by another forum member!

10. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

A friend had a Kolbe modded Fender Showman back in the late '80s. I recall it sounded great (thick and loud) for crunch and gain, but not so much like the original amp. I never saw the inside.

11. South Park

South Park Active Member

The secret sauce is in the unstable preamp tubes.that is the sound you want in a Marshall. The transistors are a gain stage some ware in the preamp. I would not touch a thing on that amp