Gutting The Electronics Out Of My Epiphone Lp Std

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by ianbourg, May 12, 2016.

1. ianbourg

ianbourg New Member

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and now I think it's time to finally take action. I've decided to replace the crappy switch, jack, pots, caps, and pickups in my epi les paul standard. Always been looking forward to switching out the pickups for the seymour duncan '59 and sh-5 custom, and I figured I might as well go all-out.

My question is if I should reuse some of the wire or start completely from scratch with all new wires, even the one grounded to the bridge. And if I should replace all or most of the wiring, what kind of wire should I use and where can I get it? Any tips would be appreciated :dude:

Also, should I pull the trigger on this kit from stewmac? : http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...um_Wiring_Kit_for_Gibson_Les_Paul_Guitar.html

2. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I had some buzz and humm from one of my EPIs so i used a USB cable that got cut it has the 4 wires and the shield and the foil around all 4 wires. I used that to make the long run from the switch. It didnt eliminate all my noise but it reduced it a TON i figured it would solve the noise completely but i guess my pickups still have an issue. Mine is wired the classic way with the caps jumping across from the volume to the tone.

3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Then ground wire isn't going to make a difference in my opinion. For the rest of the wire, I would use the wire that comes in that kit, the kit looks fine to me

A more expensive option is to buy a prewired RS kit. Remember to buy the wire though, I don't think it's included.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/kit-selection-chart/

4. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Rick has the right idea, go to RS Guitarworks. They have the vintage braided cable for wiring your 3 way switch to your pots & jack, they also have solid ground wire for the back of your volume and tone pots. I would recommend that they send you their free 50's Les Paul wiring diagram and template in order to mount and wire your pots upon. Then order (2) 500K SuperPots (long or short shaft) for your Volume pots, and (2) 500K CTS Tone pots (long or short shaft). Get (2) Jensen Aluminum or Copper foil PIO caps for your tone caps. I'd highly recommend the .022uF for the bridge and a .015uF for the neck. I wired both of my LPPP guitars this way and couldn't be happier.

http://rs-guitarworks.myshopify.com/collections/upgrade-kits

http://www.angela.com/angelajensensequapaperinoilsignaltypecapacitors.aspx

5. jack daniels

Naturally if you buy the parts and assemble it yourself it will be cheaper AND the added bonus is that RS Guitarworks has instructional videos that will help guide you through the process of doing it yourself (and properly).

30watt likes this.
  6. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-keep the ground wire-

-I'm assuming the wiring in the epi is the same quality as the rest of the electronics, sh*t can all of it, try a new jack, new shielded wire, new 500 or better yet 1 meg volume pot by pass the tone controls & the split coil/phase crap and see if you like it. If not wire it any way ya want-

blues_n_cues likes this.
  7. 30watt

30watt Well-Known Member

Good advice. Learning how the guitar is wired and assembled is never a bad thing

8. BowerR64

My Epiphone Studio has "Alpha" pots in it, i took mine apart just to check the inside and see if i could see any issues with the pots. They are decent quality i did however notice that the tabs that hold the back can to the front of the pot were not tight on all of them. I noticed some Deox-it under the tabs when i went to take em apart. I pushed the tabs down tight and then rewired it back up and my issues are gone now.

The pots wernt fully grounded! I had all the ground wires all soldered to the backs of the pots but they wernt fully seated to the front. I think pushing new knobs on is what made them worse. (the knobs fit on pretty tight)

Im just glad i got it all sorted out without having to order a bunch of parts.

9. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

To clarify, I meant reuse the existing ground wire as opposed to needing to buy new wire. I didnt mean get rid of the ground wire completely.

10. jack daniels

Some will say that Alpha pots are fine, and even some builders will use Alpha pots in their amps. I'd rather use CTS, Centralab, Allen Bradley, or anything else that's typically american made. It has more to do with failure rates like so many revolutions (of the pots) before failure.

11. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

12. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Member

Scrap it all except the ground wire. That said current production Epiphones have decent electronics except the 3 way. Stuff from Jonesy and the likes is far better though.
    http://www.jonesyblues.com/les-paul-wiring-upgrades.html
    Good choice of pickups in my opinion. And they take magnet swapping well :)

13. BowerR64

Well i was about ready to ditch the stock Epiphone pots till i took one apart just to see if i could see any issue with them. Like i said ive taken many apart and i really was shocked at the quality of them. Ive taken some Marshall pots apart that quit completely (all 3 were SS Marshall amps MG, VS and 3210) 2 of them had single wiper pots the 3210 i dont remember exactly its quality.

It seems to me that more wiper contacts would last longer before they wear out and develop dead spots. How much tension the wipers push on the trace and how thick the trace is would also play a part. The epiphone pots arnt noisy when you rotate them so i wasnt ready to just throw em out. This is the first time ive had pots buzz like these. Never really thought about the pots creating this type of noise really.

Inside pots.JPG