Guitar Wiring Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by pedecamp, Jan 10, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I rewired my Chibson LP with a new harness I built. The bridge pickup works fine but the neck and middle position on the toggle nothing. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. See the picture of my layout. I have a multimeter but dont know how to use it for troubleshooting. Brand new Emerson bumblebee caps and CTS 500k pots. Please help. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. pedecamp

Wasnt too bad to build

[​IMG]

3. geddy

geddy Active Member

Looks like a lot of dry joints . Also the neck vol pot appears to have the cap lead touching the pot case. This will sound your signal

SRD and pedecamp like this.
  4. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Try resoldering the joints that connect those positions to the selector switch. If still nothing I think you can use a potentiometer to find where a possible dead spot is or if a certain wire might be dead.

I am not good at this diagnosing part unless it is obvious so I think others will be able to help much more than I can

custom53 and pedecamp like this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I need to get you a soldering station for your birthday.

pedecamp likes this.
  6. pedecamp

I'll send you my mailing address :yesway:

Dude seriously pick me out one, you'd laugh at my current setup LOL.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. pedecamp

Yes it is touching the case, I figured it didn't matter since the switch ground was tied into the pot, I'll start by pulling all that shizzle apart and do it over. Thanks!

8. pedecamp

Yeah that's what I think I'm gonna do, pull everything off the neck volume pot and just do it over.

9. geddy

geddy Active Member

You need a decent soldering iron for sure to make good connection s.

pedecamp likes this.
  10. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I learned the lesson the hard way. Never bothered to look anything up, I got a soldering iron and some solder, took a cheap beater guitar and started soldering.

A few hundred burned fingers and shoddy connections later I started reading and watching videos on Youtube.

Always tin your tip, invest some money and buy a soldering station that allows you to choose the temperature (around 60 bucks will be enough to get a decent one) and invest some time in learning the basics. Trust me. The fits I would throw after working on a guitar for hours only for it not to function properly, not fun.

Don't be me. Be clever :p

11. pedecamp

Congrats you are the winner! Clipped that cap lead off the pot and everything works! Thank you!

12. pedecamp

Played the guitar a bit and everything is a little brighter, dont know if its the new pots and caps or the 50's wiring thats doing that. I dont have any other guitars with 50's wiring so Im not used to that, gonna have to play some more and decide if I like it or not. The stock pickups that came with the guitar are Epiphone they dont sound so bad. I have some other sets of pickups laying around I might try, 500T / 496R and BB1 / BB2. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. pedecamp

I have an old Radio Shack 40 watt soldering iron, I clean the tip with sandpaper or it doesnt get hot enough to melt solder. I also use flux to help the solder stick thats why my solder joints are brown.

14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I'm glad its working.

With soldering, everything depends on having an iron hot enough and powerful enough to quickly heat the joint so the solder melts and flows on the joint, instead of just on the iron, Shouldn't need added flux. If it takes more than about 3-5 sec (much less to an actual solder lug or component lead) , its not hot enough, but may in fact, cause heat damage.

A good solder joint looks like the liquid metal guy in Terminator 2.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  15. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The tip is plated, or "was" until you sanded it.
    Sanding takes the plating off the metal.
    The best thing to clean a good tip is probably:
    upload_2019-1-11_2-55-8.jpeg But you need to start with a good tip.

Nowdays, I use the cleaning pad instead of a sponge.
    It maintains the tip better than any sponge or water ever did. The tips last longer, are cleaner and soldering is overall better without the sponge.

One of the reasons for this is the tap water.
    The water contaminates the tip surface, and the chemicals in the water degrade the tip.

Talking w/ the engineers at Weller:
    they tell me that the worst possible thing you could do is wipe the tip with a wet sponge....but yet that's what most people still use.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    MarshallDog and pedecamp like this.
  16. pedecamp

Do me a favor and list everything I should buy since you missed my birthday and tell me where to get it. I've been soldering all my life but been winging it, I need to take a soldering 101 class, youtube!

Hey why do you think my guitar now sounds brighter, is it the caps? the pots? the 50's wiring configuration? The old pots were 500k too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. geddy

geddy Active Member

Why does it sound brighter?
    1. It doesn't but you think it does.
    2. Variations in component torerances change the filter cut off frequency.
    3. Connecting the configuration of the filter component s change s the filter characteristics.
    4. A combination of the above.

I'm sure a modder will be along shortly to express an informed opinion

Glad u got it fixed.

pedecamp likes this.
  18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Pedecamp, are all the pots 500K ohm? If so this will make the guitar sound brighter. I have been experimenting with different value volume and tone pots and the higher the value with the pots set on the same knob dial, the tone will be brighter.

Personally, I dont understand why people like all 500k ohm post??? A semi famous friend of mine loves 500k post but when I look at his volume and tone settings they are set around 1.5 - 2 so whats the point IMO???

19. pedecamp

All the old pots were 500k as are the new ones, I wasnt expecting this tonal change. Maybe the caps make it brighter? or the 50s wiring configuration? I was gonna rewire to modern wiring its real easy just move the caps and grounding and see if its a big difference or not.

20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Interesting. However, did you check the max ohm reading of the original pots? They may have been on the low end tolerance level and it does make a difference if they were 10-15% lower and the new ones are now at 500K.