Got My Studio Vintage!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DesolationBlvd, Feb 2, 2019.

1. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

Left really early to make sure I got there before it sold. The loud room was occupied by a guy trying a Friedman, so I took the Marshall to what looked to be another loud room. No damping on the walls here, so diming it in there was gnarly. But that power was like nothing else I had ever experienced as a musician.

The sound I was chasing while blindly following schematics and hacking away at the JTM30 and JTM60 is here. I'm not modding this. I don't need the PPIMV when I have the MiniMASS. Granted, a no-load pot is a few dollars, but I'm not sure how they get the low power mode, and it could interfere with PPIMV operation. I don't need the one wire mod when I have the Turbo Rat clone I assembled. It has its clipping LEDs visible on the outside so I get a visual of when the Rat is right at the perfect point between boost and fuzz. In addition, the normal channel is necessary so my Les Paul "Deluxe" (2018 Classic with a mini-hum in the bridge) isn't an ice pick in bridge position.

Here it is on the 1966A. I chose this over the official vertical 2x12.

[​IMG]

Now I want a bottom cabinet - or fake cabinet since it's not going to get used anyway and I need space for tools, picks, straps, cables, etc.

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

HNAD looks great on 1966a, and your idea of a fake cab under is a great sounding,storage, and getting cab off the ground and in your face, I like the idea! Cheers Mitch

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

Love the look on top of the 1966A! So cool looking (I have mine on top of a 1965A).

Curious what speakers you have in the cab... G12T75's?

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

A funny story: While waiting for the guy trying the Friedman to finish, I was waiting and browsing outside, when a girl approached me and asked where stuff was. I was wearing all black with a Gibson t-shirt on top of it all, and have shoulder-length hair, so I guess I looked like an employee.

Looks like I'm going to Mojotone after all. Seeing if they'll make me the storage / spacer cab. As it is, I don't hear the bottom speaker.

Yep, the seller said that's what was in there. I haven't changed them out, they really work well with cranked and boosted settings.

I think the Plexi will keep itself distinct from the MIG-50. The MIG-50 has 6L6/5881s, fixed (adjustable) bias for more power, and the bass tone stack, along with a 12AY7 to keep it tamer. Maybe the reason I thought the MiniMASS was dull was because I was pushing it to its limits with the MIG-50? With the lower load, I had to switch the treble boost from 6 dB to 3 dB to keep it from getting ice-picky - I had to do that with the Vibro-Champ and Pathfinder too.

5. Mitchell Pearrow

That’s a cool story, I got a compliment from a young lady who was with her son, but it came out of left field, she asked me who I played with, and I answered truthfully and said no one that anybody would know! Cheers

stringtree, SHREDNECK and BftGibson like this.
  6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Clips...

:coffee:

7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Lol ...As long you didn't say you played with yourself, Mitch !!:facepalm:
    BP

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Ahhh yea that (if I would’ve thought about it) probably would be a better response! ha ha :cool:

9. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

A bag for the bits and pieces is much cheaper and easier to transport .

tce63, stringtree and houseofrock like this.
  10. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    stringtree likes this.
  11. Jubilee23

Jubilee23 Member

Sweet amp man

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

I was going to swap out the speakers - the G12T-75 does clean and high gain well, but classic gain was a bit harsh. Thought I would try the Marshall Heritage speakers, they can't be bad if they put them in the flagship JVM combo. I pulled the speakers out of the empty JTM60 cabinet and then opened up the 1966A, but saw original solder joints I didn't want to disturb. Now I have the Marshall Heritage speakers in my cupboard, and have gotten much of the harshness out by using the normal channel as my main gain, the treble channel only being blended in for detail.

The fake cabinet won't be for carrying, but for storage in the music corner. I figured I wanted something that'd look as cool as possible, even if slightly impractical. The MiniMASS will be in that cabinet so I don't accidentally hit the knob (or worse, the impedance selector).

Did not know about the Valvestate 4x12 being smaller. But the 1965/1966 is about 24" wide, and probably much lighter.

I'm actually asking Mojotone about the idea of the fake cabinet, and if I want the Classic/Jubilee later, I'll get a Canyon cabinet made for it. Similar size to the 1912 but shorter. The 2204S and 2553 made for the 1965/1966 are pretty rare.

13. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Just cut a circle with a jigsaw in your cupboard door, make it into a baffle. Use your cupboard as a closed back cabinet - problem solved! :D

DannyB and Ufoscorpion like this.
  14. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

I don't think my apartment complex would be very happy about that. One more reason I should reconsider future gear purchases, I should be saving for a down payment for a house. Though I'm not restricting myself from selling gear to buy gear at this point, it's just consolidation and less to move.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    assaf110 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I like this idea a lot , I'm disappointed I hadn't thought of it first myself , kitchen cabinets look out .

16. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

Congrats! I'm saving my pennies and thinking about what to possibly sell to get one.

Medronio likes this.
  17. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

18. houseofrock

19. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

Yeah, I just paid less for my Mojotone custom faux cabinet. I'll bump the thread when it arrives.

20. houseofrock

Sometimes you can find deals on used items at GC, other times it seems they are full of themselves. I just picked up a loaded MF280B for $299. Usually the B cabs are closer to $650, way over priced. Especially when MF280A cabs in good condition sell for around $450 or less all the time.
    I had 2 1965 cabs that I bought for $325 each and sold the pair for what I paid for them last year. Great cabs. It just looked odd with a full size head.
    I'm glad you got what you wanted.
    Show us pictures when it arrives.