Got My First Jvm410h After A Js And I'm Just Waw!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Silverburst, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

F.....?

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  2. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Silverburst likes this.
  3. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

What year is your JVM 410H? I was GAS'ing for a JVM for quite some time. I finally found a decent deal on a good condition 2007 410H last year. It is pretty much my main go to amp right now. I will be taking it out tomorrow to play lead guitar for my friends bands gig. Woohoo!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Silverburst

Silverburst Well-Known Member

2012 I believe. have to check. haven't heard of build years affecting tone like th dsl. If yours is 2007, check the heather fuse holders!

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Early jvm's had an issue with the board mounted fuse sockets failing ( I want to say prior to 2010).
    Those sockets have since been replaced with jumpers.

You'd have to do some investigating as I don't recall specifics any longer.
    The only change that will affect tone during the production time period....is what tubes came in it?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

cool video but tone IS NOT in your hands.

7. Silverburst

Hehe, I agree in a way. Tone is a part of the total picture, where the hands come into play, and define rhythm, feel, mojo..., but purely the output signal of an amp, nope not part of that. Tone is defined in a different (wrong?) way a lot of times.

Nuno stated once had had the chance to finaly play Ed's rig, like a childhood dream, and then came to the constation he just "sounded" like himself. Agreed there ;)

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Mine's a 2012. Take a guitar you like and tune to open G. Then strum it. No hands allowed. Play with different channels and different amps. You get different tones. Granted the above mentioned variables absolutely come into play when hands are on the neck.

9. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think I remember seeing some fuses on the PCB. I have not had any problems with this amp so far. Having fuses in the heater string seems like a good thing to have though.

I have been considering adding a choke. But doubting I will hear much change really.

10. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm? Sounds like the same symptoms that Fender Hot Rod Deluxes are plagued by.

11. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome!

Silverburst likes this.
  12. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

oh I agree totally. technique is in the hands, but tone...……………...

13. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Member

Waaaw...competely opposite experience for me. I went 410h to JS for the same reasons you did...I couldn't get a convincing brown sound out of mine. The tone I hear in the video on the first page isn't a great EVH brown, IMO. It just sounds like the 410h trying to do brown the best it can. It sounds compresses to me and the reverb isnt helping matters. The sound though is good, I like it. I just don't think it's very brown.

Does the guy even mention what channel he is on? I could only hear mention of speakers. I wish tha Danny Boilers JS video doing the brown sound was still in youtube...he had a few but two in particular were just incredible. Much in the same way as the OP, it made me seal the deal on trading in my 410h. I find the JS does brown just so much easier...all in the Crunch channel, but even possible in the Clean Red. And with lower gain , the ODs will do it.

I still love the 410h though for that OD1 orange...just love that channel, just a great 80s metal tone.

14. Silverburst

Wow odd.

Shawn also use the od1orange.

I've seen Danny Boilers clips when I was fighting with my JS. Thought ok wow the js can do that but I never got it out mine. The crunch red was my favorite I believe but I just HAD to have met SD1 in front to keep the toen together. Or it was muchy, attack-less and a grit/flavor in the gain structure that always bothered me... poor harmonics whem not boosted (and I really expected not to have to use boost pedals with such an amp) that amp never inspired me at all sadly enough.

Concerning brown sound.... well I believe different people define different aspect of tone as being "brown" I believe. For me it is that very bouncy a lot of attack out of control derailed gain where specific frequencies give it a specofic honk. My 410h's od1 orange comes closer to that instantly. It could react better to pick attack, but I have the impression the nev feedback mod and/or choke will take care of that of I'd want. Not sure how the plexi cap mod will impact that but I plan on adding these switchable so I can return to stock anytime. I believe early VH is quite compressed actually.... the amounts of gain are quite staggering I always find when I revisit the vh1 album.and listen closely. Might be my ears though. All so relative huh ? ;) but nevertheless interesting to discuss.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  15. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Member

I simply dialed up the amp with Dannys setings and I got a brown that my 410h never did...although for best results i needed a guitar with a bit less output. The bass was cut way back. Personally, I prefered a bit more gain than he used to get an EVH tone I really liked. Bottom line for me was that the JS could do that tone, and like you I do use pedals with it to do my everyday tones at lower volumes. The thing I lioed kost about the 410h was that od2 orange could do that great 80s metal tone all day long at lower volumes. The JS...nope. That crunch channel needs to be opened up.

I got over having to use pedals with my JS long ago. But since Santiago apparently came out with instructions how to mod a 410's loop to make it work like the JS serial loop, I almost want to go pick up a used 410h and do that. The loop drove me nuts on the 410h.

Great, now ya got me going to Reverb

Mitchell Pearrow and Silverburst like this.
  16. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Low to medium output pickups and the right cab are key elements for early VH.

17. Silverburst

Sure, the evh frsnkenstein pup on my maple neck n4 gets me a lot closer than any other guitar. now have to get my hands on greenbacks, again.

18. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I much prefer the JS to the stock JVM (I have owned both) but the important thing is *you* are happy with your rig. Cheers!

19. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Never got, what I'd call close, with the Frankenstein. Tried it in 2 Floyd equipped guitars and sold it. I'm another former JVM owner that preferred the JS over the standard 410. I agree that the JS has a "dull" pick attack. I did a couple of very minor mods to mine that woke that pick attack right up. Still ended up selling it, but the new owner loved it with the mods.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  20. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have always preferred the js model to the base 410h. It is darker so i see why some may not like that. I'd love to have both but for my taste a boosted JCM800 type amp gets me the exact tone I want most of the time. I need to try a modded one with negative feedback mod to see how it compares.