Got My First Jvm410h After A Js And I'm Just Waw!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Silverburst, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Silverburst

Silverburst Well-Known Member

It's been a long time I was wandering around here. It the time I bought the first JVM JS limited blue in my country, hell, It must have been one of the first hitting European land from UK. It was my first big purchase, a gift for myself after a few years of misery. But I almost hated the amp. I tried so many things like biasing, switching all kind of tubes, cabs, guitars, you name. It always sounded flubby, poor pickup response, raising gain equaled mud, there always was something in the gain structure I never liked. I even had it sent back to Bletchley and had talks with Santiago, all super super helpful beyond anything. The said they replaced the board and tubes and upon getting it back with the greatest expections, nothing had changed. I held on for a long time as it was a big purchase but it was only collecting dust and I didn't dare to mod a signature amp.

So have been to Friedman BE, Runt, Smallbox, Laney Ironheart (this one was pretty cool though!), Axe FX etc and these units surely sounded nice, don't get me wrong! But I always have been fond of tones like AC/DC, early Van Halen, Nuno bettencourt.... yeah you know that drill if you are like me so the pull to Marshall always has been big. I came across a cheap JVM which I was not able to buy, but it made look at some tube vids where I came across a guy Shawn Talyer, nailing some frigging nice old skool Van Halen, yup and that bug in my head was lit up again.... and made remember the mod community on jvmforum because Shawn did a few mods (plexi cap, neg feedback, choke).

So I have been on the hunt and just got one stock JVM410h half stack this week. Well and I'll be darned... I'm frigging floored! Such great attack, punch, response. Everything the JS WAS NOT and what I wanted it to be!!! How could that be possible ??? Man, even my Taiwanese DS-1 sounds quite good through Clean orange mode holy cow!!! Satch used that for years and indeed on a lot of amps it does not sound good, but it works on the JVM !!! I'm having so much fun with this amp now. I can't believe all the hate I have read, even from Marshall lovers who swear on the old ones. OD1 orange is so much crunch with the right sizzle! Luv it!

And at the end it is simple... you want AC/DC, early Van Halen, Nuno bettencourt tones? Well just get a Marshall, end of story. I have been purchasing to many dreams and stuff, until expensive Friedman stuff, and they sound amazing in their own way, and might be based on Marshalls, but they are just not Marshalls in the end. Amen and thanks for reading! ;) Now my Helix in 4CM and I'm juiced up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Good to have you back Brother, congratulations on getting your tone as well,

Silverburst likes this.
  3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Hi Silverburst !!
    What JVM did you end up with ??

tce63 likes this.
  4. Silverburst

The traditional 410h

5. jchrisf

jchrisf Active Member

I'm going to have to check out some of its hot rodded plexi tones on YT

6. Silverburst

This one triggered me and the rest is history ;)

JAC and jchrisf like this.
  7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

The reason for all the hate is not all JVMs are good. I've rented a couple times and got a lemon, other times it totally smoked!

The 210H I owned was a temperamental biatch to say the least... if you breathed on it the tone would change lol...

Anyways glad you got a good one!

Cheers

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I've never tried the JS but my 410H smokes especially with the neg feedback mod. Glad you like it!

9. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

could you help me understand negative feedback mod ? pretty sure my modded amps have it..but can you explain to a tech dummie what it does, thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Rudy v

Rudy v Member

It is not the tone evh talke about its about gain he wanted more overdrive on a tube amp look at the 5150 amps its gain all over thats is what ed is after not the tone you hear on the record he wanted more gain you know 78 marshall was the best oppions he got lissen to vh 2 ore diver down ore van halen live right here right know you go allway go the first sound no wan cant handel its gain off the 5150 i play with 3 5150 gain set on 6 all post gain one 3 how you like those appels i know its hart to play like this but it is what he wanted out off controle 5150

11. Rudy v

Rudy v Member

You know how he play his guitar in this days just dry mixing board do all the rest i know he usse a marshall whit a varyac ore something but he lower the voltage by a 30 vollt but is glose to his sound to your ears even the 5150 and 5150ii sound difference

12. Rudy v

Rudy v Member

Listen to Michael Jackson beat it i think it is his best sound he got

13. Rudy v

Rudy v Member

Never lissen to a record by the way he never usse a reverb

14. Silverburst

This thread explains it very well.

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4467

It gradually removes the restriction on the power amp section. This restriction aims for maximum headroom because all drive comes from preamps in modern amps like jvm. removing that effect makes the amp louder and gets the powersection kicking. The more you remove it the more it goes towards a vox. Interesting thing I learned was that a plexi actually has quite some negative feedback already in there to retain headroom.

15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

thanks and def my ptp jmp50 has headroom, crazy good amps

Mitchell Pearrow and Silverburst like this.
  16. Silverburst

Seriously? when I visited the Marshall factory once, they told me that there was a tollerance of 3% or 0.3% (not sure anymore) on each of the 500+ parts in the jvm amps. but even with 0.3% it adds up significantly if you'd compare 2 extreme cases of amps. Then it is always a crapshoot. And I might have had a crappy jvmjs.

but tyx though, glad this jvm rocks ;)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

It opens up the amp more tonally like an 800. I have mine set around there. About 4 outta 10. More in your face mids.

18. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

What the f....

19. Buzzard

What....

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  20. Buzzard

the...