Got Any Vintage Gear War Stories Of When You Were Younger?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by tomykoz, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Active Member

We had a Vox Berkeley in our teenage band. Used it as rhythm and even as a bass amp a couple of times. Wonder it didn't blow the speakers. Sold it for almost nothing since we didn't have a clue at that time. I have searched some for one, but the good ones are really pricey. Like this one.

[​IMG]

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I'm having the mental yard sale to snag a '75 Gibson Flying V.:naughty:

stratburst likes this.
  3. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

amen!!!!....i think im gonna put a big sign on my music room wall that says "dont sell it you idiot,your gonna miss it"....ive sold so much gear that i wish id kept.....and the things i hate myself for selling the most are the items i bought that were worth 3 times what i paid.....makes me sick just thinking about it......
    .....i tell my son now....if i ever wanna sell this,grab it when i aint looking and hide it at somebodys house till i come to my senses...

im always searching the local ads and the net for deals on gear...i cant help my self...its an addiction....

....i just know under somebodys bed are some 1958 les pauls in new condition...or some 1959 plexi's collecting dust in some closet...and there probably people who would take $500 for them in a hot second!

....you really cant have too many amps or guitars or anything musical...:)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    stratburst and SG~GUY like this.
  4. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-yeah I dream of finding stuff like that too, or a brand new LES PAUL R9 GOLD TOP that fell off the truck right out side my house, or the 63 corvette that someone died in, they can't get the smell out so they sell it for .50 cents

5. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Back in the 80's in my piss-head days I fell off the stage a couple of times. Was so plastered I didn't feel a thing though....'till next morning.
    We used to have a couple of girl backing singers, that sung lead on a couple of tunes. During "Nutbush City" she came strutting across the stage tripped over a monitor and body surfed into my pedal board knocking the lot off the stage. She also managed to get her mike lead caught in a revolving light at the front of the stage which proceeded to wind her in.....she also fell for the old Mike Hunt joke. Message passed to the stage, 'it's Mike Hunt's birthday today....has anyone seen Mike Hunt". I nearly pissed myself laughing. Ahh happy days. :lol::lol:

SG~GUY and liontato like this.
  6. liontato

liontato Active Member

Gibson Les Paul custom sunburst..playing a gig as a teenager in the 80's. Drunk guy comes to the stage and asks for a David Allen Coe song...mind you we're in the middle of a song and I'm playing rhythm talking to him...we didn't do any Coe at the time...he's says, "if you don't play Coe, you ain't sh$t!"...pulls out a knife and slices across my strings along the neck. I was in shock more or less. He laughs, puts the knife away, and stumbles off. Didn't hurt the guitar as he sliced perpendicular and only touched the strings. I never stopped playing rhythm during the whole thing!...again, I was just a kid. The next night at the gig my bass player brought a 44 mag and laid it on top of his bass amp and put his coat over it. He was older than me and was very mad about what had happened. He gave me strict orders not to go out and talk to anyone but to stay on the stage....behind him...,nothing else ever happened there in that dive....thankfully. My uncle bought me that guitar. Traded it for Takamine acoustic as an ignorant stupid kid.....I hate myself ......and David Allen Coe! True story.

Bought a jmp 50 watt half stack for $600 in the 80's and 100 early 70's plexi full stack for $600. Sold them both for nothing as a dumb teen. Major regrets. Life rarely gives you a second chance.

SG~GUY likes this.
  7. liontato

liontato Active Member

have to share....when I bought the 100 watt plexi as a teen in the 80's (mom gave me the money)...no internet then, classified ad in the Muncie star for this stack, I go into the house, guy and his wife with a brand new baby...little tiny house....crib sitting right next to this 100 watt plexi full stack! Ha ha! There it is, black massive full stack of thunder, towering over top of this sweet white baby crib in the crowded little house. He had to sell it! Lol! I will never forget that picture......words weren't even needed....it was obvious why he was selling it. $600. I sold it for $600 as well....geez I hate that....bet he does too...

SG~GUY likes this.
  8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I WOULDA SOLD THE BABY FIRST!!:hbang::lol:

SG~GUY and liontato like this.
  9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Well, as far as gettin rid of stuff goes.....I kinda forgot about these
    I went through a couple or 3 "unplugged" periods in the 80s & 90s ...Of course ,thanks to the last one ,I have somewhat of a music career, but in the process,I sold some good electric guitars & amps
    I have NONE of the pieces in this picture anymore . I DO have duplicates of a couple things , but all that in the pic is gone

[​IMG]

10. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I'll take the the V-(korina?)-the early 70's SG in the middle, and is that a les Paul gold top? And a large fries!! Super size that!