Got Any Vintage Gear War Stories Of When You Were Younger?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by tomykoz, Jan 18, 2017.

1. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

if i only knew then what i know now.

....i remember taking my 1/2 stack super lead 100 and mismatching the ohms cause i liked the sound better....and i would blow it up every few weeks....the local tech would tell me "your killing your amp tom"

.....the only thing i owned in 1967 was a thomas organ wah...a les paul custom and a freakin plexi 100 that was so loud in them little bars...

.....then i tried a trick that an area local musician(phil keagy from Glass Harp) used to do to his twin reverb to get it to distort at lower volumes....i took a razor knife and put multiple slits in my 25 watt celestions.....nowadays i think the marshall police would hang me for doing that :)

...then to ad injury to insult...i threw the celestions away and bought sro's and slit them all up.

....finally i got in my head an idea to take a mighty mite guitar preamp and put jacks on it so i could mess with the volume boost adjustment as needed.....it gave me a great distorted sound at lower volumes especially after i ripped out my vintage les paul custom pickups and threw in dimarzio's....sad part is somebody im sure probably had a pedal that woulda saved me from trashing all my vintage gear but i was too stupid to figure that out :)

i also remember another timewhen i was so trashed i spilled my drink in my marshall head...i looked down in there with my half open eyes and saw a small lake of beer....tubes were still glowing....i though maybe its ok....threw the thing off stand by and up in smoke it went

and my last and final stupid thing,and why them marshall boys know there stuff....is when i used a 12 foot guitar cord to walk 14 feet away from a whole stack.....it came crashing down...hit me in the head,,,when it all stopped falling...my guitar cord was pushed up inside the head and all the speaker cords were trashed.

.....pulled out the 1/4" plug from the head with needle nose pliers..stood it all back up/slapped in new speaker cords and it all worked!!......marshall knew that insane people are gonna be driving these things and they aint gonna be easy on em...R.I.P. JIM!

...i do miss being young but thank god most of my stupid is gone.....

Jakeboy, jmp45, SG~GUY and 1 other person like this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Half tempted to use that as quote in my sig! I don't have any stories as colorful as that but I did pass up on a JCM 800 combo that I probably would have blown up in similar fashion to the one you spilled beer on. I sold a Les Paul that I never should have.
    And finally, never assume other guitar players know gear. I loaned a Rectoverb combo to a guy that brought it back claiming no output. When I checked the speaker connection it was plugged into the loop. Now this guy was a really good player and was in a worship band!

Jakeboy and tomykoz like this.
  3. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-traded a late 60's Gibson Les Paul Gold Top with P-90's-(i hated the look of the funny little pick ups, i wanted some Dimarzio super distortions like Ace Frehley)-for a Fender Lead one-

tomykoz and soundboy57 like this.
  4. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Phil Keaggy? Local here too, many stories from back in the Glass Harp days and some more recent. My old drummer, pastor and friends are very close to Phil from back in the 60s. All in Nashville now. Anyhow, I had heard about that speaker trick but had no idea Phil did that. I did put coffee can SROs in my twin, it will get you there.

After saving and trading I finally got a 73 Marshall 1959 stack. The feet on the head were not placed right and sat on the edges on those anti skid pads on the 60a cab. Two weeks new I was pushing it with my back to the stack and there was a crash. The head fell to the floor bouncing off the bottom cab. The cab had a dent at the bottom, head survived just fine. The speaker cables minimized the impact. Still grinds my gears thinking about it... Same stack in my sig.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    tomykoz likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Seems a JMP can take a bounce or two..

A buddy was helping me load out after a gig one night years back, with my JMP2203 on top of the cab, pushing it out of the club...he hits a bump and off she goes..I see from across the room the head literally bounce off its side and land ass up...

I was mortified...my buddy thought I was gonna blow up...I told him that's why it had a damn handle!!! But when we got back from the gig, I made sure the tubes didn't un-seat (they didn't!), plugged it all back in, and fired it up, and it was just fine.....

tomykoz likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Nothing that I owned, but a buddy of mine had a collection of vintage gear, Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt, etc., you get the idea, I'd come jam at his house every so often and he'd say I was welcome to use any of his amps if I pleased. I'd be like nah I don't like tube amps I'll just play my solid state Crate that I love so much. Doh!

tomykoz likes this.
  7. JLBIII

JLBIII Active Member

IIRC during the mid '70's, in one of their advertising literature, Marshall used to quote a letter they received about a head that fell off a full stack during a performance, was put back on top and continued to work with no problems.

The old style pin impedance selector switch broke on my '72 1987 during transport to a gig around 1977. Even had a vinyl cover on it. That was one of the very few times, I wasn't able to be there to move equipment. Got out the soldering iron and hard wired the impedance receptacle switch to 8 ohms since I sometimes ran two 16 ohm cabs. Ran it for years like that into half and full stacks. The head stayed wired like that until '83 when I traded it in for a new JCM 800 2204 head.

Traded or sold more gear than I want to remember but wish I hadn't, including a beautiful white 1977 Gibson EDS1275.

8. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I was so thrilled to have Marshall's I babied the darn things.
    I do remember being on about a 6 foot stage, and the other guitarist had a 900 SLX half stack that the drummer bumped while messing with his kit on break.......it fell off backward to a wood floor, head and cab.
    We turned it off, set it back up, and it worked fine.

I also am lucky to still have good hearing. I could never handle a full stack plugged in, even with a 50 watt.
    I only played one gig with a full stack, outdoors about 1980 in Vancouver Washington, with two check cabs and a '74 50 watt.
    NO master volume...:)

Sounded godly, but I couldn't hear anything else, let alone a vocal monitor. LOL.
    Always played a half stack, though, for many years. Even for bigger festivals, it was plenty.

Oh yeah...and there was this mint RED Marshall slant cab, back in the 70s, that I bought, then took apart and painted
    black, so it matched my other gear....OUCH.

tomsvintage and strato2009 like this.
  9. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

i wanna see a marshall drivers license before i lend out gear:)...ouch....i liked those jcm800s.

..and about the les pauls,i sold a 1967 or 68 black beauty back in the day that my poor dads hard earned money bought in 1968 or sometime around that year.....and funny part was...my dad had told me no music store in my area had one...he went to a large department store called Strouss's and low and behold they had only one and he bought it for $560....wish i still had it

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  10. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

double ouch!!

11. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

yep...actually opened up for the band at an outdoor gig way back when...at a place called "lakewood beach"...im not sure if phil was there with glass harp...they had a guy named tim burkes filling in if memory serves me correct....

....my friend(bob ernst) was phils cousin or somehow related or was his neighbor i cant remember which...anyway he brought me over to phils twin and low and behold slit city not alot but a few.

on another note,,,,,i miss those old marshalls...nothing to matches the sound of 4 old greenbacks and a plexi head

jmp45 likes this.
  12. tomykoz

tomykoz Active Member

hahahaha.....that made me laugh.

pedecamp likes this.
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its pretty funny to me too when I think about it LOL. I played that Crate for 20 years and thought I was all the rage when I traded up to a solid state Marshall MG LOL. I've only been playing tubes amps now maybe less than 10 years.

Hogie34 likes this.
  14. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guitar into > Operadio amp into > Fender Showman into > 2X 4X12 cabinets- shreds, dude.
    Sounds like a chainsaw. :shred2:

15. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I've always babied most of my stuff ........I still take my Marshalls on
    the road ,but I treat 'em better than I did my kid when I was takin' him on the road

When I was 17 I tried to break a glass with feedback .
    I had done it in physics class with a signal generator........why not a guitar ,hell ,I heard Nugent did it onstage

So I get home from school n plug in the rig ....a '79 Stratocaster / DOD 250 and Peavey TKO -80 . Try to find the frequency of the glass by rotating a wet finger around the rim ......hmmm
    I think I find the note , crank up the amp ....it's fckn unbearable ,then ....NOTHING ..... Eminence speaker BLOWN

About 10 years ago in Zurich , we're mid song when I hear the drummer exclaim ,"HOLY SH^T!". I look back and there's a big cloud o' toxic smoke / dust comin from my Sovtek Mig 50
    Still playing ,I kick the head off the cab ,hoping to dislodge the power cable ......It looked like some totally staged Blackmorian fit ..but it wasn't ,apparently one of the Soyuz Space program era filter caps decided to blast off
    It was OK though, next day I found some German made caps ...amp still runnin today

tomykoz, wntbtw, soundboy57 and 3 others like this.
  16. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Funny stuff Alvin, interesting how you attempted to get the resonant freq of the glass.

I had my twin on a cab and mic'd having the cable looped through the handle hanging over the front. Mic placement wasn't considered at that time..;) Anyhow the snake was front stage, mic cable up from the back line. Snagged it with my foot and pulled it off the cab to the floor. Nice dent in the faceplate, chassis and broke the reverb pot. Put it back up, no issues. What a putz, at least it was during a practice. So that makes 2 amps for me hitting the floor.

tomykoz likes this.
  17. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I walked down to my old practice space one night to see my JMP2203 HANGING OFF THE SIDE of the cab by the speaker cable!?!?!?!

tomykoz likes this.
  18. RobLaQuinta

RobLaQuinta Active Member

No stories about Marshall gear, but on the way home from a wedding, they guy driving the pick up truck that was carrying my Leslie 147s. He went around a corner too fast and the top heavy Leslie fell out off the truck and slid across the intersection till it hit the curb on the other side of the street. I put the bands back on the rotating speakers and it worked fine. I was just happy my Hammond B3 didn't fall out.

tomykoz likes this.
  19. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Active Member

In 1966 when I was a naive 11 year old I traded my 64 Sunburst strat for a 12 string Greco semi hollow ~ :erk:

I bought the Strat for $180 of hard earned cash that took me about a year to save up.

A 16 year old kid found out I had the Strat and we made the dirty deal.

I have thought about sending the Greco out to sea on fire ~ :sadwave:

Since then I made up for that bad deal when I bought a 65 Candy Apple Red Strat for $80 in 1986 !! :fever:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    tomykoz likes this.
  20. stratburst

stratburst Member

This how my vintage hoarding addiction started! I sold a near perfect ~68 maple cap tele for 250 in 1982 because I wanted an 80's les Paul. I've regretted it ever since and now I have a hard time letting anything go.I have no problem picking up more gear though. Ill justify it by telling myself Ill sell something. Funny how it rarely works out that way.

There are worce things to be addicted to than vintage guitars and plexi's right? I'm headed to the Orlando Guitar show this weekend and I'm already thinking about what I could spin off to justify another Cab not that it would actually happen.

Kris Ford and tomykoz like this.