Good guitars for $600 and under

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by chromeboy, May 23, 2019.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Active Member

So I know that a lot of guys will say you get what you pay for but I don't always agree with that. Now I have owned les Paul's, strats and the like and they were great guitars. However, some of the best sounding and playing guitars I have and still own were all less than $1000. That said I've been in the market for a decent guitar maybe as a back up for under $600. My friend was telling about a guitar he played at GC that he said played great. It was a Schecter Banshee extreme or something like that. I looked it up on YouTube and it looked decent and I have been wanting a two single coil one humbucker guitar for awhile and the humbuckers on this guitar can be coil tapped so it could be used like a strat. What do you guys think of this guitar and what other under $600 guitars would you consider to be decent. I figure if the neck plays fast and feels good ,pups can always be swapped out and I would still be at $600 and definitely under $800
    What do you guys think?

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

buy used...

3. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Can't help you on the Schecter cause my local music store doesn't carry em and I seldomly played one, but they seem to be solid, built in Korea instruments.

That said I agree with DoD here, buy used. I would suggest LTD/ESP. They have some of the best playing guitars with flawless fretwork and can be found cheap all day long. The Deluxe Series guitars (they have the 1000 in the name, like EC-1000) are great and I'd go for something like that :)

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

600 - 800 HSS?

ESP Japan or Fender USA strat

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I got this many years ago (1998).

It was a Christamas gift from my wife.

She paid $699.00 got this Limited Edition 1997 Fender Jimi Hendrix Tribute Strat.

I know this is a $600.00 threshold thread but I had to post it.

It was a "rent was due" guitar and it was new.

Jimi Hendrix Strat.jpg

Another new guitar, was this McInturff Empress with G&G case at a Russo Music "once a year tent sale".

I telephoned McInturff guitars and spoke to Terry McInturff.

He told me that he doesn't do business with Russo anymore and they were taking a loss on it and wanted to get rid of the guitar.

Terry told me, "I can't build that guitar and get the woods for that much".

It has a triple Nitro hand rubbed finish.

Cool boutique guitar.

Russo Music doesn't do these sales anymore.

McInturff.jpg
    McInturff lg.jpg

Here's another find.

My buddy at GC called me and said that a guitarist, who was signed to a record contract, got an advance and special ordered a couple of guitars.

He special ordered this MIJ Gretsch Sparkle Jet but spent his wad and didn't have enough to pay the balance.

My buddy told me, "if I paid the $500.00 balance, I could have the guitar".

I did.

Thank you Pete.

I think it's a one off.

gretsch6129strap.jpg

Here's another one.

It was used.

Cost me $349.00.

epiphone es 355.jpg

Shop and be patient.

Most of all be frugal.

Even GC has rent that is due.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    ibmorjamn, Mitchell Pearrow and nichd like this.
  6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

:shred2:

7. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

There are some nice finds out there for affordable new guitars. I spotted a new Schecter super shredder (or whatever its called) and sampled it a bit simply because I thought it looked sharp, I was surprised at the quality for the price (in your sought after range). You can also go used and then if need be, do some upgrading and personalizing to make it better suited to you (IOW, you already have the right idea :thumb:).

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. nichd

nichd Member

lots of great guitars under 600 used... PRS SE, Fender MIJ or MIM, gretsch, epiphone etc.

Try to find one where the electronics/pups have already been upgraded as that is typically one of the things you have to do (typically but not always).

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

GC corporate office reviews used items every 90 days and the price usually goes down.

It's a waiting game and luck game too.

10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

anitoli likes this.
  11. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

12. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I guess i didn't catch what type of guitar he was wanting, i don't feel all guitars are the style.

Like i wouldn't buy an Ibanez to play jazz with, and i wouldn't get a hallow body to shred on

13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Wizard necks.

:rolleyes:

14. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I can't tout this guitar enough. I got mine on sale 2 years ago for $499. It's now on sale for $549 and worth a lot more.

Very well built. Sure, you can upgrade the pups, tuners and pots, but there's certainly no need to. The Probucker-3 in the bridge position is more than adequate for both lead or rhythm. The Probucker-2 in the neck...eh, nothing to write home about. It comes with Grover tuners. The fit & finish is flawless.

If you're looking for a Les Paul, but can't justify spending [$2,000] on a Gibson, I highly recommend this one; it's worth every penny. It plays great; sounds great; weighs a ton; and is every bit as uncomfortable as a Les Paul is supposed to be. You'll love it. :)

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-PRO-Electric-Guitar.gc

15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i patiently wait..with cash in hand..my Gibby's were bought pretty low..its all timing when they sit for sale for awhile or someone is dumping for low price cause they want to get something new

ricksconnected likes this.
  16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

When I bought my Gary Kramer™ prototype Turbulence 29, the girl who put the ad up, wanted $1300, the 1st time I saw it. I saw her drop it incrementally to $1200, $1100, $1000, $900, $800. When she got to $700, I snagged it. I figured at that price, someone else would probably snag it.

So, it was waiting it out, but, the gamble was that if I waited too long, someone else would have gotten it. I hate when that happens, especially w/ rare items.

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  17. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

yeah, when its a must have..gotta snag it for sure !! couple bucks is not worth missing great gear

18. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

While a Schecter may play well they are cheaply made. They use veneers, the overall quality of the wood is low grade, the electronics are about the cheapest Asia has to offer.

IME, if you want a guitar that has a quality standard of a $2000+ instrument you really need to look at used Carvin's. My last seven ax buys were all used Carvin's and not one of them has disappointed me. Seriously check some of them out.

https://reverb.com/item/24212463-carvin-dc-135-red

https://reverb.com/item/23697080-ca...-made-in-usa-1992-good-condition-sounds-great

https://reverb.com/item/23049953-carvin-dc135-1988-red

https://reverb.com/item/21735496-carvin-dc-145-2010-sunburst

https://reverb.com/item/17552334-ca...rzio-upgrade-hsc-50-discount-for-local-pickup

19. Madfinger

Madfinger Active Member

Picked up a MIJ Tele for that price. All the top quality hardware, best materials, the neck setup, fret dress and build quality is flawless. A definite keeper for the cost.

20. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Not all wizards are created equal.... The Wizard necks on the Premium is actually a thicker than the Prestige, almost like a 60’s profile neck on LP feel... the Wizard HP is the thinnest...