Gillan/glover Vs. Coverdale/hughes

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by paul hancher, Feb 1, 2019.

1. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

which was the better vocal/ bass combo for Deep Purple? discuss amongst yourselves...

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I don't really see a comparison...

Glover never sang lead. Hughes was more funky, whereas, Glover was more straightforward rock. I think Coverdale was the better singer, than Gillian, but Gillian was perfect for the band...

I like both eras. I could dig the Evans era, although it wasn't so original at the time. I never got on w/ DP after Blackmore left. IMO, they aren't/weren't DP w/o him...

3. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Gillan/Glover for me. No question. Glover is probably one of the most underrated musicians in rock. Listening to his isolated bass parts is a real treat. Clinical, very musical, awesome sound and technique. Gillan simply wrote some of the most memorable songs in rock. His voice was unique and at the top of his form nobody could touch him back then.

I like Coverdale and Hughes a great deal too. "Burn" is a masterpiece. But ultimately they veered Purple in the direction of funk/pop, prompting Blackmore to leave. Which killed the band.

4. paul hancher

i hear all of ya! i just can’t decide myself. oh well, go listen to some more an compair.

jimmyjames likes this.
  5. paul hancher

and if Tommy Bolen could have got together with either combo look out!

oops, i guess Bolen did play wih Coverdale/Hughes...

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Gillan WAS Deep Purple.
    Coverdale didn't come into his own until Whitesnake...

2203xman, Jakeboy, Antmax and 4 others like this.
  7. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

8. Dogs of Doom

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I was watchin Burn from Cal Jam yesterday ...before i saw this thread, because I'd previously watched Glenn, Paice & Bruce Bruce performing it at a tribute for Jon....but I had to hear the real thing
    While I dig Glenn's range and Coverdale's vocal girth.....DP is Gillan for me

One a side note, i was workin on a Tele for a friend the other day, he mentioned how one of his bands was on a fest in Norway with a waaay post 80's Whitesnake . he said David was a proper English C_NT
    Apparently he pitched a bitch at the hotel breakfast about my buddy and his wife being in the room.....Coverdale acted as if HE was Blackmore or somethin'......:lol::lol::lol:

2203xman, jimmyjames, johnfv and 2 others like this.
  10. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

Not even close . I enjoyed Burn when debuted . But the legacy is about everything before that album . I was yawn , not inspired by the latter stuff. The magic was gone.

The thudding bass passages Glover laid down and the Gillan screaming vocals on Made in Japan are epic .

11. Dogs of Doom

I was at an awards show, where he was awarded best vocal lifetime achievement. He definitely has that rough British attitude/crudeness... He got the award & said it looked like an anal probe, then went on to talk about how Prince Harry was in town & what he wanted to do to him w/ it...

I think that Dave lost a lot of his vocal "girth", when he got his nose job in the '80s. Notice how thin & whiny he sounds now? I think he was pretty badass in DP, but he probably hit his high point after hooking up w/ Sykes/Powell, etc. That album w/ Dunbar/Murray was his high point, then it all went downhill, IMO...

AlvisX and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

I wore out the cassette w/ Evans on it. It was pretty much all covers, except "Hush", but, that's what got them launched.

At around the same time, Evans was booted for Gillian, Iron Butterfly split up & they formed this band:

So, they had Evans, the guitar/bass from IB & drummer Bobby Caldwell, who is very similar to Paice in playing & although not a houselhold name, inside the industry, he had just as good of a rep on drums...

Mitchell Pearrow and johnfv like this.
  13. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

That version of "Burn" from Cal Jam is smoking, I prefer it over the studio version. I don't think there can be much debate about the classic DP lineup (Mark 2, with Gillan and Glover). That said, when I was 13 I saw Mark 4 on tour and was blown away by Tommy Bolin. Ian Paice's drum solo is still burned in my memory, what an amazing player. It's not classic Deep Purple but IMO "Come Taste The Band" is a killer album. Glenn Hughes is still a great singer *today*. Coverdale has lost his range, good thing he tours with young guys that can sing the high notes :)

Coverdale sure sounds great here:

Some other favs from the album:

jimmyjames, AlvisX, mAx___ and 2 others like this.
  14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

EDIT: Sorry for drifting so far OT but I'm a stickler for accuracy. As AlvisX pointed out my original post was actually Richard Hughes on the drums. :facepalm:
    Here is Johnny with Bobby Caldwell on drums:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Right after Stormbringer, I lost DP to Rainbow, I thought they were (a different flavor than DP) but I could still hear Blackmore in the raw and rocking form I loved about Deep Purple! :2c:Cheers Mitch

16. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Off Topic ,but I always thought that record was Richard Hughes on drums
    Caldwell on Johnny Winter AND .....

Dogs of Doom and johnfv like this.
  17. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

tommy bolin has always got a bad rep because of made in japan where he couldn't feel his arms after sleeping on his arms on a 8hour plane flight , the roadies open tuned his guitars but he was disabled
    you can hear it on the start of burn- check out , teaser and private eyes to get an idea of tommy bolin as a guitarist

paul hancher and johnfv like this.
  18. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Damn, I *did* get that mixed up. Thanks for correcting me. And now I recall I prefer Richard Hughes :)

Sorry for drifting so far off topic but here is Richard Hughes again with Johnny Winter. That lineup ( Richard Hughes and Randy Jo Hobbs ) was definitely my favorite, Floyd Radford was a great addition here (I was fortunate to see that lineup when I was a youngster):

Badass powere trio here:

And now back to Deep Purple :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  19. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, I was so impressed by Tommy when I saw him I immediately became a big fan. I bought Teaser right away and Private Eyes when it came out. Some of his James Gang stuff was killer also. I'm still a big Bolin fan (and Glenn Hughes fan for that matter). All that said, I recognize Mark 4 Deep Purple had become something different from the "classic" band.

slide222 and paul hancher like this.
  20. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

a problem both glen and tommy had was coke and they took a guitar case full on the road,word has it

paul hancher and johnfv like this.