giging with small tube amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by grainman, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:47 PM.

1. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

I did a small gig last weekend with only 2x small 15/22 watters....stuff a mic in front and I rediscover stage balance and .."yep we hear the singers lyrics that time..." I use to do bigger venue and now it was only 120 people in there so I put my trusty 1959 to rest and grab my new ampeg to try it out....the experience was weird at first but after few tunes it was alright...it sad to let our big amps in the locker but it seems to be the way to go these days...

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes hearing the monitor and singers is essential IMO. I do some vocals as well so I appreciate that. As long as it sounds good on stage and has some oomph it doesn't have to be painfully loud. Venue dependent.

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

In the not too distant future ( if it's not already here ) we'll be smiling and shaking our heads when we see 4 x 12 cabs with 100 watt heads and thinking to ourselves " dinosaurs ".
    The digital age has long been with us and will soon equal and surpass the audio, dynamics and "feel" that we still desperately hang on to. Kemper/Helix/Axe/Line 6/Strymon et al will soon dominate the electrified musical landscape. Roadies are fast becoming an endangered species along with the lumbering equipment with which they toiled.
    Evolution.
    :2c:
    BP

5. Thunderslug

Thunderslug New Member

Both myself and the other guitarist in my band have ditched the 100W heads and have 20W ones. I got a 2525h about a year ago (will also soon get an sc20) and he has some Dr Z amp. Previously I had a 2203 and he had a JVMHJS. Neither of us miss the big amps...and believe me I am as surprised as anyone.

We play in a 5 piece rock band and typically play large pubs of maybe 300 people and these little amps are plenty loud enough. OK so we mic them too but we did that with the big amps as well in order to throw a bit of sound out above heads to the back of the venue...but to be honest, there's not a lot going through the PA, and nothing in monitors.

The difference is that the 100W heads were barely ticking over (I usually had the 2203 on about 3...at 4 it would rip your head off and you had no chance of hearing anyone else) whereas the 2525h is fairly cranked...not flat out though as there is still a bit of headroom and the clean channel is still mostly clean.

The 4x12 went a while back too as I have a Zilla 2x12.

What I do have is more enjoyment of the gig as the load in and more importantly the load out at a gig is so much easier with to be honest, no compromise on sound.

6. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I said bye bye to my 4x12 years ago. I still have a 100 watt DSL that I cannot move. I have a 50 watt JMP that I will never sell because of the tone. I'll only use it on outside gigs. I prefer 20-30 watt amps these days into a 1 or 2x12.

7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

When you say " cannot move" do you mean sell it or pick it up?
    BP

tce63 likes this.
  8. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

That is exactly my experience too. Went from the DSL100 with a 4x12 to the SV20H with an EVH 212 (going stereo with another head and 2x12 for bigger/outdoors gigs), and load-in/load-out is immensely easier now. Plus my tone actually improved, and as much as I LOVE the DSL rig, the SV is super fun to play. And I can actually make the speakers work at gig volume without flattening the whole stage (which the SV rig can do easily if needed btw).

10. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

yea I agree , I did a solo gig with my jube combo on 20 watt setting ,playing guitar and singing with a peavy solo pa combo on 15 watt setting and it was great , pretty loud and clear, but not sure how it would work with a loud drummer, a local drummer I know is very good and has a massive kit , and he always plays loud ,I've been in 3 pieces with him and it works well , but I think i'd need a bigger amp with him , but I would say a bit of volume is great in a 3 piece, I do think the more musicians you have, the more you can lose clarity especially if you play loud -better if you have a sound man and moniters

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 5:19 AM
  11. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Back in the 70s we used to go to a 2000 capacity venue to see the big bands and were used to the wall of 4x12s along the back of the stage. One day we went to see Rory Gallagher and he had a vox AC30 on a plastic chair. How we laughed. Until he strated playing. His roadie must have loved him so much.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am a Dinosaur
    :cheers:

jmp45, KraftyBob and tce63 like this.
  13. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

A proper AC30 is still quite the beast to haul around! But I totally get your point!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Posted it on here for sale also????? Good deals usually "evaporate" rather quickly .....

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot New Member

Musicians seem to know much about equipment , but nothing about decibels and how is applies to sound. Wattage vs decibels isn't linear, not even close. Amp manufacturers say nothing about it because they love to sell high wattage amps for big dollars profit. Musicians fall right into the trap and equate 100 watts with being 2x as loud as a 50 when in reality, a 100 isn't 2x as loud as a 20!

With today's explosion in lunchbox amps, there really aren't many reasons why 100 watters are even needed.

One who gigs regularly knows that amp tone is a combination of effects.Get the preamp AND power tubes roasting and then start pushing a lot of air.

KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

A lot of us are aware of all this at least here on this forum. There is still an oomph associated with large iron and 4x EL34 tubes even at lower volumes that an EL84 amp doesn't seem to have. But yes, 100 watts is really not that useful at all anymore.

17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Should probably read "Some musicians", as there are plenty of musicians that also know their equipment. As for "pushing a lot of air", it takes power to move speaker cones, so regardless of your needs, you won't find a 20 watt amp "pushing a lot of air" like a 100 watt amp.

18. Headache

Headache Member

I totally understand what may work for you, and maybe I'm the weird one here, but cranking up a hundred watt amp is what metal is about. (Granted, that's all I know or do)

So, for me, the louder the better! I have tried taking 20- 40w amps to rehearsal and cheat the weight... No way. Can't get my tone thru the singer, drums, other guitarist, bassist.... It's just not enough.

The drummer works harder, and the tightness and emotion of the band and show just gets better. I get off on that feeling.

I like to roll that volume knob up and watch the audience slide back a little bit and then I like to melt their faces off!

Now having said all that metal attitude stuff.... I'll say this: when the front of house guy tells me to turn down, or point my amp a certain way, I do it. He's got to make his venue work. And I want my show to sound as good as it can sound.

Also, 100 watt heads have volume knobs.... you can turn them down (I guess that happens?)

I have small practice amps that sound great, but there's no way I'd step onstage without a half stack behind me, that's just the way I am.

All the bands I go see are half stack or better, with the single exception of Ted Nugent, he played with a small maxed out 1x12 Peavey Vypyr or something, but the venue had huge sound.

I get I'm the weird metalhead guy that sees the world differently, it's been that way my whole life.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 12:59 AM
    tce63 likes this.
  19. Robus

Robus Active Member

My hearing thanks you.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I didn't gig with a 100 and quad.

Australian and tce63 like this.