Gibson Shows A New Guitar At Ces?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Dogs of Doom, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

http://blog.zzounds.com/2017/01/09/did-gibson-just-unveil-a-new-guitar-at-ces/

Did Gibson Just Unveil a New Guitar at CES?

[​IMG]
    Gibson Brands had a big showing at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. There was a whole lot of spectacle going on inside Gibson’s standalone hangar/tent, including live performances, a fashion show, and a replica of the Iron Throne from the popular series Game of Thrones, made from guitars and basses. The consumer show was a natural fit for many of Gibson’s brands like Philips, Onkyo and Neat Microphones, but their 2017 lineup of guitars and basses was also prominently featured, and one in particular has piqued our interest:[​IMG]

Looks-wise, the model is not too far a stretch from the Les Paul shape, but that elongated left cutaway evokes the Epiphone EM. The guitar also sports 24 frets, and the added length seems to put the pickups a bit closer together than on most Gibsons. Judging from the picture above (taken by Twitter user @friveradigital), it comes in at least three finishes: gold top, ebony and a sort of silverburst with flame maple top. Otherwise, the model seems to be in keeping with traditional Gibson appointments: two humbuckers, two knobs, (what I’d assume to be master volume and tone), a 3-way pickup selector switch and Tune-o-Matic bridge.

There’s a product card sitting just below each guitar, but we can’t make anything out on it. We’re expecting to see more of this new model at Gibson’s booth in our 2017 NAMM coverage, so stay tuned to the zZounds Blog to find out more. And if we do discover anything in the meantime, we’ll be sure to keep you posted!

4Horseman, The Ozzk and crossroadsnyc like this.
  2. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

These will be worth $100,000+ in 40-50 years like the original Les Pauls from the 50's are today. There, I said it. Someone will come back to this post in that time and say I was right. :D

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  3. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Reminds me a bit of the Gibson M3 from late eighties. .not that I've sen one in ages. .or since. .
    j

4. Dogs of Doom

It's basically like a double cut-away LP, but asymmetrical & more frets. Maybe the complaints about neck diving on SGs (not sure about the double cut-away LPs)? It seems that PRS has really bit into the Gibson market. Also, those Wolfgang guitars...

The Ozzk likes this.
  5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Tak Matsumoto model

[​IMG]

Only thing being that I like where the switch is on the Tak and the others don't have it there... Either way, that flame top gray one is sexy.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Yuck.
    Anytime Gibson tries to go away from traditional designs, I'm out...

Micky likes this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

That guitar is just begging for a Floyd.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

The double cut looks sexy.... GAS!

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  9. blue

blue Active Member

I, too, am reminded of the MIII. I have a couple of those, and always liked the idea of a version with a carved maple top. I like this new guitar, if they would do one with the MIII's trick electronics and maybe a Floyd Rose, I'd be straight into getting one. As it is, I might still be tempted

10. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

No pick guard? Vin ain't gonna be happy... just sayin' :cool:

Dogs of Doom and Vinsanitizer like this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

Those Gibsons remind me of this white signature Phil Collen models.
    Hi Ozzk. :)

It's just on the regular Les Paul models, anything goes for the rest of the models because they don't express a particular era like the original LP's do. See, the thing is, the original Les Pauls (and other guitars) that were built in the 1950's were heavily influenced by the art of the time, which was primarily the "space age". Everything back then had rocket fins. The poker chip helped balance out the look (without the poker chip, that switch look like a nipple, and not in a good way. But with it, it looks electronic and futuristic). So when I see a Les Paul guitar with no pick guard I think it looks dorky. People have argued for the 'enhanced ability to show off the guitar's' wood grain by removing the guard, but I disagree: a Les Paul with good wood grain is going to be seen enough everywhere else on the guitar. It's ok to leave a little mystique in favor of a traditional, historic, nostalgic and original design by leaving the pickguard on. If a chick walks around naked all the time, there's no surprise. But if she hides a little under a bikini, you go "hey now!". Kinda similar. :D

Think about the Elton Jon song, "Rocket Man", right? How would you like it if Elton took a Les Paul to outer space in his rocket ship and there were no fins?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    keennay and The Ozzk like this.
  12. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I like that green one, I'd like to have an LPS in that color.

13. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

What a post, The Vinsanitizer©!

The reference to "Rocket man" just brought it home for me. My favorite song of all times:yesway:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Vinsanitizer likes this.
  14. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I like that silverburst one. They remind me of the Wolfgang. That volume knob is either in a perfect spot or a deal breaker for me. I'd buy one if it plays and sounds good.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  15. Dogs of Doom

[​IMG]

Were those set-neck? I missed those. Definitely a very similar design. I prefer the rear route cavity design of the newer ones, but the old one looks pretty sweet, if it's set neck. I'd like to see pictures of the neck joint. From the front, the maple neck on it, reminds me of my Kramer. I think the new ones would rock w/ a floating whammy. I wonder if they had a more Kramer neck profile, on that Explorer neck?

16. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

My often sought after opinion is:

Ass ugly

17. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

Not trilled with it.. Looks like they tried to keep the Les Paul design with a tad bit of a PRS in it..

18. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Also reminds me some of the ESP Horizon III

[​IMG]