Gibson SG's: What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Vinsanitizer, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

This picture is perfect

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  2. nichd

nichd Active Member

3. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I assume that the "dive" issue is why most SG's still come with plastic tuning keys. If you keep the weight down it helps the issue, however, I have not really had an issue with it. Sure, if I let go of the guitar completely it will tip down but it isn't anything that would ever bother me enough to not play one. IMO the SG is one of the best playing and most aggressive sounding guitars ever made and I love them.

4. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I owned one briefly about a year ago, just couldn’t bond with it. Sounded ok, but just felt odd to me after playing my LP’s. Upper fret access was nice, and so was the weight. Those are the only nice things I can say about them. I much prefer Les Pauls for humbucker tones, even though they are heavier and bulkier.

5. RobV

RobV Member

Must be the color, I had a 2012 Std. & MM both with baked maple boards and it didn't say limited, neither did the 2 Tribute's ...60's & 70's)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. telemarshall

telemarshall Well-Known Member

I had an '08 Special Faded - never should have sold it! :(

[​IMG]

79 2203, AlanH, Ian Alderman and 4 others like this.
  7. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

That was a beauty.. This is why I horde, I always regret. The faded I gave my son has the moon inlays, would have rather had dot. He's a drummer so it hangs much of the time

8. telemarshall

telemarshall Well-Known Member

Yep, seems I always regret selling 'em!!

I traded it in on a 2013 Standard (which I love), but wish I had kept both now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow, pedecamp and jmp45 like this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I've got the same two SGs, a black 2013 Standard and a brown 2005 faded, both are great guitars! :yesway:

10. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Only problems I've had with SGs, is how the neck sits out on the edge of the body, making me have to reach a little farther than I would with say a Les Paul. Also can find myself getting lost in the upper register if I look at it. Cause I'm expecting the body to be there, and It's not. Never had the " neck dive " be an issue. Not like a Moserite. Maybe the 3" strap I have used since the 70's. Mainly use in recording. Only take to a gig now and then to use as a (last set) guitar, for its lighter weight. Have a Les Paul Classic now that is comparable in weight, so left the SG as a recording only ax.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member Premium Member

20190625_194940.jpg

I love my SG. It's the one on the right. 2018 standard. My first guitar was a beat up pos white '68 SG that I got for $200 in a shop in Davenport IA. It was right handed, but due to the wonderful design and strap mounts it worked just fine. I've never even noticed this tuning dive issue being talked about. I really like the snappier tone when I change up from a Les Paul. If I've been playing for a few hours on a LP it is nice to switch over and finish with the lighter guitar. Can't wait to try the V.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

You are either going to love the V like no other or it is only for the sake of having one,
    I love my V , and it was the inspiration for a song of mine called Scatterbrain !
    Cheers Mitch

13. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Hey Mitchell! That Garage Jam was fun as fvk for only 2 guys man! I really appreciated how your drummer was actually playing to & with you & not simply playing a beat or just doing his own thing. He complimented the guitar nicely. Hold on to this young man as drummers with musical aptitude like that just aren't the norm & are too often hard to come by, especially one who obviously like to play & is willing to play with only a lone guitarist! Lucky you bruddah.

Gotta say that although I'm a tube fanatic (love 50 watt EL34 Marshalls on the upper volume / loud side & some pushed & saturated 6v6 tubes on the lower) I found your 100 watt mosfet to be quite enjoyable although I can't say how much of the Origin 50 we are hearing as it was closer to the recorder. But hell ya man, I mean overall it was a very decent sound clip from a phone of all things! It was exceptionally nice considering how it was done.

So.. just how close are you guys from the Catskills anyway eh??
    Meh.. what's 2-3 thousand miles or so when it comes to making good music thats fun to play anyway huh? lol

Keep rocking Mitchell, rehearsal was cancelled for me today & watching you 2 play together really was enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

14. Relic61

As for general thoughts to have in mind when considering the SG, I thought it worth mentioning,..

Essentially the SG has been around almost 60 years now and there has been a myriad of variation done on it's original theme. Meaning, they just ain't all alike man! The sound & pickups have varied over the years from the original iconic & much sought after PAF to mini-humbuckers, Lipstick Tubes, P-90's, single coils, Push-Pull Pots controlling coil split/tap & Phase, & DIP switching controlling coil Tap or Split coil preference, High Pass Filter (Treble Bleed), and Transient Suppression.

Although the Two Horned body shape has been constant over the years, bevels have varied, different woods have been used, neck joint construction evolved with the course of time along with Headstock sizing and various Bridge, Tremolo & Tuner variations as well as Fret sizing, Nut width, Neck shape and the availability of 22 or 24 frets! And now with the HP line we can add body thickness to the long list of variations.

And lets not forget about neck stiffness or the amount flex found throughout the various years & models. For instance, some SG's can reflect a change in tuning by resting a heavy right hand on the neck or add note vibrato by shaking the instrument and yet another might seem firm as a baseball bat.

The point not to be missed is that you simply can not play one SG and summarize what an SG plays like, sounds like, looks like or feels like based on limited experience because there truly is a dramatic range of variation that can be found available for the discerning player that knows what he wants & who is willing to seek it out.

In closing, it is in fairness that I disclose that I do own 8 various Gibson SG's & 1 Epiphone 1275 SG Doubleneck. That said it has been just recently that I found the new Gibson SG HP line to quite possibly be the best guitar line I've played. They are just that good, that solid, that tonally expressive & variable and just so damn well made!

Ya, the SG.. go find one that works for you. For the informed buyer, Guitar Happiness awaits.

15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Is there enough range in the TOM saddles to intonate properly for reverse-handedness?

Or did you reposition the studs?

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

The origin is feeding the mosfet, so it is coloring the mosfets tone.
    And I thank you for taking the time to check out our clip,
    I will be sure to pass the compliment on to my grandson

17. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I watched the latest episode of Sammy Hagar's R&R Road Trip, with Joe Bonamassa and Robbie Kieger playing Roadhouse Blues. Joe was playing what appeared to be a vintage Les Paul Standard burst '58 or '59, Robbie was on his SG. Robbie's SG tone was embarrassingly better then Joe's LP tone. Robbie's playing was much sweeter, of course.

The SG is a seriously awesome sounding axe! Why I don't own one, I have no earthly idea? :shrug:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  18. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member Premium Member

Plenty of range. I've never had to relocate studs on my Gibsons.

19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I will never, ever understand why skinny necks are called "fast".

20. Relic61

Awesome. He really has a noticeable talent & I hope he is able to go somewhere with it. I had no idea he was related (grandson). You no doubt must be proud of him. Can't help but feel what a gift it is to be able to do that with your grandson. Doubly awesome!