Gibson LP question

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Hutch, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I have a 1987 LP custom that has the Bradshaw pickups that everyone talks about. They do sound good but just not getting the drive I want. I play more heavy stuff. I'm so undecided on swapping out pickups kinda want to leave original but again they are still a bit mellow for my liking. so 2 questions would you change them out? and if so what would you put in there place.
    I have a set of 57 classics but not sure if they are hotter or not. I put a set of SD 's in my standard and love it. so not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

M22 or C22 Kiesel or Carvin.

3. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

I few days ago i took out the bridge t-top from custom i love the the one on the neck , the one on the bridge was not making it for metal so i put SD Jb and it sound killer i feel that still something very little its missing so my next step its to try the 57+ which are my favorites from gibson.

It took me long time to decide to take out the t-top out because was stock but i don regret it besides its reversible , so ahead take those suckers out and try the them all

you will never know just by guessing.

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Are the pickups adjusted close up to the strings?
    If the PU is too low you will lose the output level.

5. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Thats what I put in my Standard was the SH-4 JB Killer for sure. The set of 57's I have is the 57 Classic neck and the 57+ bridge. I might just give it a try. Thanks

6. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

yes I have tried moving up and down. Did not mess with the individual poles.

7. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

I like 500T and dirty fingers from Gibson to play heavy metal stuff but in the current market exist a lot of options.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I see you having some high gain amps, I'm surprised you cant get heavy tones out of them with your current pickups just by turning up the amp gain. The 57+ you speak of measures about 8.5k more or less, its a fairly low gain paf style pickup one of my favorites, this pickup is quite capable of heavy tones just by turning up the gain on your amp or using an OD pedal.

neikeel likes this.
  9. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

My 2 cents is go for Throbak MXV-SLE-101 Plus , yes they are pricey , but they are worth it and pair so well in my Les Paul's with my Marshall 2555X www.throbak.com

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  10. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I get a heavy tone for say maybe its just me but they just don't do it for me I guess. I don't want to keep changing the gain when I switch guitars and use a Sd1 to boost solos. was going to try the 57's becasue I have them laying around with out spending 200 bucks. thanks for the input.

11. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    They replaced them with 498T (bridge) and 490R (neck). 498T is a very hot Alnico 5.

Musicmaniac and Hutch like this.
  12. RobS

RobS Active Member

57 /57+ combo works great.
    Take the time to get the height set right and once done will be fine. I radius the pole pieces once the height set
    sure, theyre not the hottest driving pickup but the sound is great and when paired with a sd1 / ts9 is 80's hair metal / hard rock, back off the vol and they do lots more.
    you have multi channel amps so you should be right

13. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Member

Sounds like you want something hotter so I wouldn't use the 57's.

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

DiMarzio, ToneZone in the bridge and either Breed or PAF Pro in the neck. I did this to my ESP Eclipse and it is a rock machine. In my '77 LP Std. I put a Super Dist. in the bridge and an old PAF (around 1980) in the neck. Both are super nice for rock guitars and are very touch sensitive. The LP will play clean as can be as well, the E2 is dirtier quicker because there is less wood to smooth out the tone.

15. jensvonbustenskjol

jensvonbustenskjol Active Member

Tim Shaw PUs are extremely good, IMO. A bit more refined than T-tops, which are my favorite.
    If you want hotter I suggest you look in the special direction for heavy.
    Tesla Nitro /extreme, very nice sounding PUs for metal. Hidden treasure :) check out this video by Ola englund

16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Keep the neck, try some hot pickups in the bridge?