Gibson Les Paul Custom Or Gibson Flying V Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Benjamin isaacs, Nov 2, 2017.

?

What should I get?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2017.
  1. Les Paul Custom

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Flying V Custom

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

When in doubt, get an Explorer....

ThePitbullofLove and ChrisM1889 like this.
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

My first question is what is this guy in the video playing thru amp wise and sounds like he is using a pedal also. The thing that bugs me about this video demo is the 2 instruments sound the same .I do know a little about Flying V tone versus Les Paul tone as I have both guitars myself . My Flying V is a Korina reissue which this one in the demo video is a Mahogany V ,both have the same identical 57 pickups in the neck and 57+ in the bridge but they sound different and it is very noticeable to anybody as the tone woods used are different so that accounts for some of it ,but in this demo video to my ears they both sounded alike and I do know that videos can sound different than actual live playing .

3. 60Cycle

60Cycle Active Member

I have the 2016 Traditional V and it has the 57 in the neck and the BB3 in the bridge and honestly it sounds so similar to the LPs it’s crazy. The mid is a touch thicker and woodier if that were a word I guess when you plug a BB3 loaded LP into the same amp without messing with the settings. The 57 Classic in the V I need to test it seems hotter than hell.

4. El Gringo

The 57's have good output and I do like them a lot and have them in 3 Gibson's

5. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

I've owned a paul custom and a V.. I'd go with the Les Paul. If you can play both that will help you decide but I had issues with the V. The neck seemed "rubbery" ( I jumped around a lot ) and would not stay in "F"in' tune for the life of me.. and I have no problems with any other guitar. The Les Paul sounded killer and was a great axe. It was super heavy though. I weighed 135lbs so ultimately I traded them both in for a custom made guitar. But the paul killed.

6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Missed the poll.
    Everyone who has a Marshall had to have a decent Les Paul- fact.

BanditPanda, EndGame00 and El Gringo like this.
  7. El Gringo

The classic tone machine Les Paul into a Marshall -does not get any better than that IMHO

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. Guitarpsycho

Guitarpsycho New Member

I will say that you should listen to your heart. You seem to be leaning heavily towards Flying V. If that's what you really want then go for it. I think both are great for heavy metal. I have an Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Blackouts which I use for Metal and hard rock. Just keep in mind that there will be a difference in tone between les paul and the fly v. You can also get one then get the other later

9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Albert King taught me how to hold one...put the point of the "V" between your knees, and that's how you sit w/ it.
    His "V" was made by some friend of his Dan Erlwine, and not a Gibson. It's the middle one in the picture, that's the one he taught me how to sit with.
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/3813/albert-kings-flying-vs/
    If you like the V, go for it.
    Certainly one of the most iconic / recognizable guitars of R&R history.
    Also, LP and V quite different sounding guitars...but any Gibson is OK w/ me.

[​IMG]

El Gringo and BanditPanda like this.