Gibson Flying V vs. Jackson V?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by rjtm, Nov 21, 2011.

1. rjtm

rjtm New Member

I've been gassing for a gibson flying V for a long time, and a guitar with a floyd rose. A few months ago, I found out they released the gibson flying V tremolo, which is a mix of those exacxt two things. Right when I was about to buy the Gibson flying V tremolo, my rhythm guitarist said it looked too "plain" and kind of looked "cheap" because it was just all white and shiny. This made me realize that it did look kind of plain, so now I'm looking for more opinions to see if I should go for the gibby v tremolo or something else. I definitely want a V with a floyd rose, and the only other option is Jackson. The only thing I dont like about them is the pointy look, and I've played one before (a rr jackson v), and in my opinion, they dont feel too good to play for the price, but I've only played one for a very short amount of time, sitting down (which is already uncomfortable enough).

I want one for 80's hard rock/metal, but not the "extreme shred" type thing, more like for the heavier stuff I play like Ozzy and Metallia and stuff with divebombs like Van Halen.

I was just looking for opinions on people who have played them or owned them (the regular gibson flying V is the same as the flying V tremolo, but the tremolo doesnt have a pickguard and is all white, has a floyd rose, and has on "obeche" fretboard). Any opinions would be helpful for things like feel, sound, look, etc.

Edit: My budget is around 1500, so the really expensive jacksons aren't available to me

Thanks,
    rjtm

2. rdamaral

rdamaral New Member

You can get a badass USA jackson for under $1,500 easy.

SwampThing likes this.
  3. Jesstaa

Jesstaa New Member

The Jackson King V is a very different guitar to the Gibson V, they're much faster/aggressive. Designed for thrash I guess.

If you can't play a flying V sitting down you're doing it wrong, they're a hell of a lot easier/more comfortable to play than regular shape guitars. You just gotta play them in classical position.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  4. Jack92CH

Jack92CH New Member

Gibson Flying Vs have a serious mojo about them in person. (Especially the cream-colored ones)

Personally I think the Jackson V's are trying too hard to look cool. They are nice guitars though.

5. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Gibson Flying V Tremolo

Attached Files:

ibmorjamn likes this.
  6. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Jackson rr3 V

Attached Files:

ibmorjamn likes this.
  7. JSJ900

JSJ900 Active Member

In your price range, you can pic up a really nice Jackson. I like the offset rhodes ones a bit better. I love LPs but never liked the Gibson Vs. I figure if you want a V it ought to be pointy. The shark fin inlays look pretty bad ass with that body style.

8. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Dude I've been saying for months on how I want a V so badly. One thing is always for sure, Gibson is usually as classy as it gets...

9. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

Probably because they're not readily available, it seems the Dean V gets overlooked. I don't mean the BS bolt-on, lower line Vs that you do see - the set neck upper end guitars (like my vintage baby V). Always felt like what a Gibson V should be to me... and yes, I had one. Don't care for the pointy bottom Vs tho.

Worth a look and a sit down with one. ;)

10. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

The Dean V's look nice and big. I like guitars with some wieght on them. I gotta check one out, but ya I don't see the quality ones around enough....

11. drewz120

drewz120 New Member

That white V looks sick. I like Jacksons too but I think that says metal all the way while the V can be metal/rock

I just caught GAS cause of you, you bastard.

rjtm likes this.
  12. Moose Lewis

[​IMG]
    This one's a bit smaller - but not tiny or short scale. Hangs about like in the pic. She's sportin' a chrome pickup ring, a custom wired Fralin reverse zebra, and all new wiring since this shot. It'll go for anything from rockabilly to shred to metal... no worries (it's also not as yellow as the pics seem). ;)

sinner 13 and jvm210guy like this.
  13. newbies

newbies New Member

I have never really been a massive fan of Gibson v's mainly because of the headstock for some reason but man that pic you posted damn that's a cool guitar!!

14. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque Well-Known Member

I have a V and a Rhoads, the Rhoads is better balanced although heavier. They are very different animals though, born in different era's but both based on looks more than anything else perhaps ?

15. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

Gibson V with the Floyd HANDS DOWN!!!!!

Dude, if you have had the G.A.S. for a Gibson V and an axe with a Floyd then why would you even waste a nano second giving a chyt what your other guitarist thinks? This is WHAT YOU WANT, not what he wants. Gibson V's in white look bad@$$ awesome!!! Plain...classic...it's all relative.

Go for the Gibson and make it YOUR trademark. :thumb:

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  16. Moose Lewis

As far as that goes - let him buy you what he wants you to play, and you get what you're GAS'ing over. Never a good idea to let a band member 'browbeat' you into something you don't want. It's a double fail.

... and what DSL100 Dude said. ;)

White guitars do not look plain on stage. They pick up all the colors of the lighting. IMO, Vs look better without pickguards anyway.

If yer really bugged about it being all white - go to the auto parts store, pick up some flame vinyls and rock out. :p
    ... or snag one of these:
    [​IMG]
    ... y'know - that tribal would look good on my V. Oh, crap!

Happy huntin' man! :headbanger:

crossroadsnyc and DSL100 Dude like this.
  17. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Haha thanks guys. I think I'm really leaning toward the gibson, but theres one thing that really turns me off: the "Obeche" fretboard. It is supposed to be a cheap replacement of rosewood and ebony and no one knows what it is and how long it will last. Why does gibson have to make cheap budget cuts why cant they just put quality wood and not ruin the guitar :confused:

18. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

But I would NEVER get a Jackson V.

19. zslane

zslane New Member

I have to agree with the others who advocate the white Gibson V. I know that black is the standard "metal" color (unless we're talking about hair metal I suppose), but white can be metal and classy at the same time. Forget what your buddy says about it looking too plain. It's not that he's wrong; it's that his observatioon is irrelevant.

DSL100 Dude likes this.
  20. Moose Lewis

Hmmm... a quick Go0gle shows it to be a light colored, somewhat soft African wood that requires filler. Gibson must be staining them... hopefully injecting them with something to make them durable. This is not an endangered species and is readily available on the cheap too.
    Exotic Wood obeche
    Obeche wood - shipped directly to you.

Harummm... ? :confused: