Gibson Explorer Tuning Issues

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jamest, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jamest

jamest Member

Hi guys, I have a Gibson Explorer made in 2009.
    Since the first time that I played it, there's this problem: the G and E (thinner) strings don't stay in tune very well. I mean, after a little, they get out of tune.
    The guitar is the typical Explorer with tune o matic and grover tuners, as it comes from the factory.
    Did someone notice same issues? How to solve?

Coronado likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton Member

try putting some lube in the nut slots. i use chapstick. just take a toothpick and get some in there.
    also, most tuners have a screw in the top of the peg. make sure its not too loose. i tighten mine a little but dont overtighten it to where its a bitch to turn.
    last thing.....make sure your strings are stretched out well.
    oh, and make sure the nut slots are cut right. if you dont know how to do it take it to someone who does.

pedecamp and jamest like this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton Member

one other very important thing i forgot to mention.....always tune up to pitch...never tune down to pitch. if you are tuning and go a bit sharp, start over by tuning below the pitch then tuning back up.

4. jamest

jamest Member

Thanks, I didn't know this thing.

5. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

What heltershelton means is detune each string so that it's flat to the note you are trying to tune to, and then tune up until you are in tune. You don't want slack, which you can get if you tune down to hit your note.

Generally and in my experience, guitars don't stay in tune if the gear head in the tuning machines wears down, or the nut is not cut properly. If you hear pinging noise when tuning, that means the string is getting stuck on the nut, which can cause tuning problems. The more common problem is the nut being cut right. You can try using nut sauce to lubricate the nut, but the better long term solution is to file the nut. Unless you know how to file the nut, I suggest you take it to a luthier.

jamest and DPTONE5 like this.
  6. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

Exactly John. My LP was so frustrating until I got the nut properly cut. Made all the difference in the world!!

jamest and John BNY like this.
  7. jamest

jamest Member

When you talk about to file the nut, do you mean to file the grooves where the strings sit?

8. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Yes, but you shouldn't do it unless you know what you are doing. Take the guitar to a luthier and explain the problem. Good luck.

jamest and DPTONE5 like this.
  9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

a. put the string thru the tuner hole, and leave about 2-3 inches slack in the string.
    b. lock the string in place by looping tying it around itself, then wind the rest of the string DOWN the string post.
    c. tune the string to pitch, then pull on it till it slips out of tune.
    d. re-tune the string and pull again, till it slips out of tune.
    e. continue pulling the string, retuning, until the string stops slipping and holds pitch when it's pulled on...(pull on the string fairly hard to make it slip)
    f. Do this for ALL the strings, until they are locked so they won't slip.
    G. now the strings should hold in tune, even when the string is pulled / whammy bar is pulled...

This is the Dan Armstrong "locking string" method. (Dan Armstrong, designer of the real USA SVT amp)

This method was NOT created by Paul Reed Smith...I actually taught him HOW to do this myself.

If you follow this method, you will never need a "locking nut" or a "locking tuner." The guitar will stay in tune without any of that stuff.
    (locking nut is a gimmick which nobody really needs)

Study the video instruction, and learn it.

jamest and heltershelton like this.
  10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I have run the tip of string under the top wind in a tie and tuned so it winds underneath for years. Stretch em over and over till no slip. You can still have a nut problem. Also, my Gibby's seem quite susceptible to temperature changes and can fall out during a show.
    Other guitars I have are bullet proof with this method.
    A locking nut is still useful. Hit the whammy till the strings fall completely slack and shake the entire guitar by the arm ala Steve Vai. That's what a locking is for. A Strat won't stay in tune for that, I don't care how you tie your strings.

jamest and jstich like this.
  11. heltershelton

heltershelton Member

this is exactly how i do it.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Member

i think the original fr is the best system there is, however a stock strat can be set up to stay in tune with hard whammy use. here is a vid i made with a stock mim strat to prove it. there is no way im gonna hold it up by the bar and shake it.....not because it wont stay in tune but because if you try that with a strat bar it will probably snap off. but i did go pretty hard on it. a lot of people dont know how to set up a strat properly, and thats why their strats go out of tune with just a little wiggle.

jamest and Jethro Rocker like this.
  13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You would be surprised how many people don't know how, and the guitar is constantly slipping out of tune.
    But it's an easy thing to learn.

I learned this from an Ampeg news letter when I was about 12.
    (before dinosaurs walked the earth) (before cordless drills)
    Dan Armstrong used to write articles for musicians, and I think that's who I learned it from.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:34 AM
  14. heltershelton

heltershelton Member

i like watching the frudua stuff on youtube.

15. jamest

jamest Member

Thaks guys, when I will change the strings, I will try this method!!

16. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Damn, not bad at all! Hell, some of my Floyds don't stay in tune that well! :D

jamest and heltershelton like this.
  17. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 Gibson Explorer, had similar problems. Nut was in somewhat ruff shape, actually snapped my string. Had to get my nuts fixed. :nono: I mean get the nut filed a bit. :D Out the box, it would do that "ping" when I tightened the string, which was a telltale sign.

Once you get in the habbit of tuning up, you will see a big difference. After a while, it will become second nature to you. Best of luck! :yesway:

jamest likes this.
  18. jamest

jamest Member

I don't understand the reason why, if you pay over 1000$ for a Gibson, they have these problems. I mean, I paid 1200$ for mine, then I want PERFECTION. Men, c'mon, I'm talkin' about Gibson, the biggest guitar brand in the world. If they continue to make mistakes like that, they will lose customers.