get the jtm45 reissue????

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by sggibby, Jun 28, 2014.

1. sggibby

sggibby New Member

Hi, I guess that kind of question has been asked many times already, but seems like I can't read any good comments about the JTM45 reissue. You mainly find comments on how to mod it or change everything in order to get a decent sound.
    I would really prefer to get a 'real' Marshall jtm45, but if it's to spend time and money to make it sound good I'd rather not.
    Can any of you guys who own the reissue tell me whether it sounds good without any changes?

By the way, I play blues rock in a band. I live in Switzerland, so buying Marshall clones is nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance.

2. sullimd

sullimd Well-Known Member

Well, the only way you'll know if you like it is to play one man. the JTM45 is low low low gain, and not for everyone. But Clapton did great things on the Bluesbreaker, so its just up to what tone you're going for and how it plays in your hands with your instruments.

But asking other people if it sounds good isn't really a very good question... You get what Im saying?

zachman likes this.
  3. sggibby

sggibby New Member

I was just wondering if some people play this amp with no mod and like the sound of it?
    I have no chance to try it at a local shop and there aren't many videos on YouTube.

4. tweedman8758

tweedman8758 New Member

I've got an early 90s re-issue that I absolutely love. The only mod that I originally did was to put in KT66 tubes. I've recently put in a Lar/Mar PPIMV because I'm using it in smaller locations. No other mods. But IMHO the tube change makes it more original sounding. I know there are other mods that are recommended to make it even closer to original but I have never felt the need to go there. It sounds awesome as is. :dude:

I've also got a 71 SuperLead but that fills a whole other niche.

45 Degrees of Tone: The JTM45 Roundup

custom53 and SwampThing like this.
  5. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

I thought thye already came with KT 66's? No?

6. sggibby

sggibby New Member

Thanks for your answer, Tweedman.

Did you have to make any changes in order to put the kt66 tubes biside biasing?

That would be something I'd want to do.

7. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

The amp is perfect as is.
    the best sound you get is great voltage and that's what you want.
    when the dials are all on 10 that's full clearness. that means full sound. other wise known as full tone. in the same way as when you turn your stereo system to full tone power, that's all you need to hear.
    My 800, JMP both operate the same way.

a gain dial adds more volume which smoothes out volume spikes in the sound. the more gain you add the smoother the sound and also the more tiny string vibrations are picked up and heard from the speakers.

so don't expect to do any VH finger tapping. it will be too quiet to bother playing that way.

Your amp will be great at playing music in the style of 1900 to 1960's music. (yes I realise angus young plays this amp but it's maxed all the time and only for solos)
    DOn't worry about mods and valves etc... if your interested in that just buy the amp marshall did that stuff too. a new design model.
    DOn't expect to 'crank' this amp unless you have deep pockets like angus young.

When you have the right setup this amps going to make you play with the neck pickup as your main sound, and the bridge pickup is going to give you a 'treble' sound which is bright and very clear.
    The neck pickup location makes more powerful voltage and this is more enjoyible to hear from the amp.
    (that's why gibson labeled the pickup selector switch this way ;) )

Good luck!

8. levelx43

levelx43 Well-Known Member

It is a wonderful amp as it is out of the box.
    I don't think you would be disappointed.
    As l understand them, like my Bluesbreaker they can be very bass heavy.

9. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

That's what Gary Moore said after he used one throughout the whole album, "Still Got The Blues" It's too low low gain NOT! Most guys on this forum go for Marshall amps that have bells, whistles, buttons, kitchen sink, etc., so you won't find many who are for stock anything unless it's a Marshall that looks like the inside of a pilots cockpit.

Any new amp can always benefit with a tube upgrade since the tubes typically sent with new amps are marginal at best.

10. jack daniels

I believe they came with or (come with) 5881's.

11. jack daniels

Get one, you won't be sorry. Don't let adverse talk from any jet amplifier gearheads derail you. lol The next thing you know is this thread will derail into a DSL, TSL, JVM thread like all other similar threads before this one.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    levelx43 likes this.
  12. Rodney

Rodney Active Member

Great amp , I'm yet to try the Handwired version ,

13. tweedman8758

tweedman8758 New Member

I've never seen a re-issue come with KT66s. I believe they all come with 5881s. The originals however mostly had KT66s. IMHO warmer and more responsive to pick attack. Less headroom too. The amp just needs to be rebiased for them, nothing else needs to be done.

One other thing to consider is that this amp has GZ34 rectification which helps give it it's unique voicing. It sings.

Another secret with this type of NonMV amp is the interaction with the guitar controls. Set the amp around 4-5 for chiming clear tones or 7-10 for nice compressed overdrive and back of the guitar volume to go from crunch to clear.

Just remember this is not a metal amp. It's CLASSIC RnR. But hey you can still do a lot with pedals.

14. USAPatriot

USAPatriot New Member

There's a couple up on Fleabay right now. One's $6,000, another's $60,000. Yeesh. -Rod-

15. jack daniels

One of the "must do's" if one utilizes a GZ34 rectifier tube is to use a NOS Mullard GZ34 although the going prices are astronomical these days.

16. dreyn77

the amp does NOT have huge BASS sound. that is total illusion created by big power.

when you play the bridge pickup the sound is FULL TREBLE!!!!!!

when you play the middle pickup that is a VOLUME increase!

when you play the neck pickup that is ALSO another VOLUME increase!

SO, if randy rhoads wanted a solo boost sound he should have installed a middle pickup!

so too Van Halen!
    it was foolish of them to make the treble pickup bigger.
    Gibson and fender already gave them the extra power built right into the guitars!!!

now VH has the sound of the neck pickup for his main sound. big powerful dull sound.

WARNING!!
    DO NOT be deluded into thinking ANY sound you have from the bridge pickup is BASS heavy. WARNING!!

it's just VERY LOUD powerful bright clear TREBLE sound. from all JTM45's JMP's and 800's.
    you com prehend ai??

17. dreyn77

DO NOT mod the amp in any way!!!!!

it is built correctly!

18. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

Dunno what the OP makes of your point but I certainly don't agree with it.

You're basically saying that Van Halen would have been better off using the neck pickup to get his sound, as it's louder than the bridge pickup, instead of using a bridge pickup with more gain? That's just nonsense, the neck pickup on any guitar yields a completely different tone from the bridge pickup, and is not suited to classic rock rhythm as demonstrated by VH, and all the other classic bands, at all, despite what the selector on a Gibson labels it as.

It's not just about being louder or quieter, or having X or Y amount of gain, the tone of the guitar matters too. Sometimes I wonder if you even play the guitar...

19. dreyn77

Oh haha.

well greenbacks were 25 watt speakers. they have wool (a loose fiber) mixed in with the paper, which makes dull sound.

VH NEVER even heard the actual sound from the amp. he always heard a dull sound.

that means all notes were fuzzy.

turn your amp down and hear all the sound that the guitar makes.
    it's just voltage zaps.
    that's it buddy! nothing else is made.
    guys needed to dull this sound so they used fingers to pluck the notes.
    VH should have chucked away the pick first before the speaker swap.

Yes play the balance recording using the 84 kramer carrera neck pickup and you will get exactly the tone VH has. I did. :)

DO all your testing at super low volume settings because you can hear what's happening.
    all extra gain is, is just more of the low volume setting sound.

if it's blurry at low volumes it's also blurry at super high gain volumes. ;) it's just 'blurry x1000', 'blurry x2000'.

you can't learn now because your not at the point in time where you can learn.

distance, time and matter size are all related.
    what you know depends on how big your brain is and that depends on how much time you spend makeing it bigger and that depends on how far you go in time.

If you don't understand that means you can't understand but maybe if you think about it in 5 years you might have learned the lesson and committed it to memory.

cheers! (that' why TV is crap for learning anything. it's over and gone and you ain't learned anything. and you can't go back in time to continue learning what was said.)