George Lynch and his gear

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by luekemeyer, Dec 21, 2008.

1. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

George and his gear... Pretty Cool

studio55gearbig.jpg

2. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

super sweet pics !!

3. Mase947

Mase947 New Member

Smart man. Strat to his left and plexis behind him.

4. HOT TUBES 70

actually , i have been told that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    but i love his playing alot !!!!!:dude:

5. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

It seems the better players are not as sharp. I think that allows for more creativity. :hmm:

6. HOT TUBES 70

there may be some truth to that comment !!!!:dude:

7. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

You do not need to be as "sharp" when you have exception creative skills. I think it has to do with the left and right side of the brain... At least that is what I have heard. But what do I know... Haaaa

8. MJK

MJK New Member

Ahh there is hope for me yet!! ;)

I love Lynch's guitar collection...Very good variety.

I think he is like many of us, a real fan of guitar playing and in particular the equipment that goes with the territory...

9. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

I'm looking to add an Explorer to my collection. I was considering a model with a tremelo, but I thought I would leave the divebombing to my Ibanez.

10. TPR

TPR New Member

I was about to post a new thread when I found this one. Awesome guitar player, but I wasn't crazy about Dokken songs. Guess I'll search youtube for a few other songs.

But I was curious if anyone else had heard the claim that Tom Mitchell makes in "How to service your own tube amp". Mitchell was Lynch's tech and said that Lynch insisted on new tubes each night because his hearing was so well tuned he could tell if a tube was a day old. This makes no sense to me. I don't doubt for a minute that he could be extremely sensitive to all things audio, but this seems weird for a number of reasons. Tubes drift and tube matching is imprecise just trying to get a quad, so god help anyone trying to get 600 freakin' tubes matched. Then you have external factors which would likely affect sound more than a tube that has "aged" 24 hours, like humidity or the particular acoustics of a venue. Hell, if he spent 10 extra seconds one night applying hair spray, it would probably affect the sound more. :headbanger:

Then you get into some aesthetic things, like tube burn in time. In other words, even if you take at face value that he could tell the difference, it seems like an odd thing to want to do because the amp is typically going to sound better after the tubes have gotten a little use. Not necessarily, maybe, but typically.

So waddya think? Am I way off base here?

11. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like my non-whammy bar Explorer.

[​IMG]

Now I have a question. I'm looking at George's gear. Where's the Randall stuff? Is that over and done with? I mean I thought I just saw an ad with him and his Randall amp and cabs. He seems to be pretty much a vintage Marshall owner.

Harlequin tusk likes this.
  12. ecutshir

ecutshir New Member

Great info! Really informative. It is helpful for me.

13. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

Nice explorer!!!

14. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

Nice explorer!!! Mine will have to wait, I'm fixing to buy a Les Paul Standard Traditional. 9.1 lbs of fun!

15. HOT TUBES 70

yes !! thats a nice one !!

16. knk2691

knk2691 Member

George is a great player.
    I heard he was the guest pro at a workshop and had everybody come up on stage one at a time for about 30 seconds to say you played with George Lynch. That sounds pretty cool. The wierd thing is he turned his back and faced the drummer the entire time. What happens to most of these guitar players when they hit this level of success? I was at the same workshop a week later and the guest was Paul Gilbert, he was great.
    Just my two cents

17. LesBalls

LesBalls Member

I have heard many different things from different people, most of them saying George is a dick.

I can only speak from my personal experience.

In '03 George put out REvolution with the Lynch Mob and went on tour. He came to a small bar in my city. Great show. Afterwards, he was sitting at a table by himself and people were in line for autographs so I got in line too.

When I got up to George, he shook my hand and asked me what my name was. He signed my CD cover "To Les from George Lynch"

That night he was playing JCM 800s. I said, "George, what happened to the Bogners? You went back to Marshall?"

We then had a long conversation about tone and amps and guitars and pedals.

I thanked him and told him I was a huge fan and he thanked me for coming out on a Monday night.

What more do you want?

George was nice and he seemed like a very laid back "west coast" kind of guy. Just my observation since I'm from the South:) He was soft spoken and very humble and thankful that we showed up.

I think the negative comments about him are people expecting too much.

Most of the time when I meet a famous player, I just get my autograph, say thanks, and walk away. I have had some cool conversations with guys, but for the most part, when you meet them, they are tired and don't want to explain to you how to get a cool sound or explain why they don't get along with their lead singer and they don't remember you and they don't remember that one time in Jersey back in '84.

Just my experience and opinions differ.

18. rnau

rnau New Member

George came and did a clinic in our store about a year ago. He was pretty cool, he drove up in a Toyota, with his M1 tiger in a gig bag. I had a JCM2000 for him to play through, because we're not a Randall dealer, and he sounded great. He brought a few pedals, I don't remember exactly what they were. As he was warming up, the Trem on the Tiger almost fell off. So he looked at me in shock, like a deer in the headlight type thing. I took his guitar and put the trem back together. The claw screws were so loose, vibrations from the trip must have loosened up to the point where the springs were flopping. The guitar had a sawtooth like headstock, and had a new duncan Custom custom pickup in it. He told me that it was basically the same pickup that Eddie uses.
    Anyway, he put on a great clinic, and was really eager to talk to anyone. He was a little elusive though. All of a sudden, after the clinic was finished, he was gone. It was cool to see him. He loves the Danelectro 9 volt batteries, he bought all I had. Also, my wife almost got him to pay 5 bucks for a mini Hershey bar, but that's another story.:jam:

19. rnau

rnau New Member

I don't buy the tube thing, he told me at the clinic that he can't even tell the difference in string brands or if they are nickel plated or anything because of the volume he plays at.
    :slap:

20. rnau

rnau New Member

Here is a link to a youtube vid someone did of the clinic I was talking about
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYRluaGReg]YouTube - George Lynch Clinic, Green Bay, 10/19/2008[/ame]