Genes: An Unfair Life

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tiboy, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

I’m 5’10, 168 lbs. I cycle 8,000 miles a year. I supplement cycling with 200 weight training sessions a year. Still my cholesterol is very high. My LDL is very high. My cat scan calcium score is to the moon high.

My friend is 5 years younger. Same height and weighs close to 300 lbs. He hasn’t exercised since he left the Army over 30 years ago. He eats junk all day long and works a desk job. All of his corresponding numbers are normal.

Tongue in cheek rant over.

Trelwheen and stringtree like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Your friend may have better numbers at the moment, but the odds are that his weight will lead to some pretty significant issues at some point in the future.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Drink more fixes everything :cheers:

4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Tiboy...stop taking those damn tests and live happily ever after. ( unless there is an existing medical condition that requires that you do).
    Life has never been fair and in fact never will be. Just the nature of the beast.
    Some people smoke, drink and generally debauch the majority of their time on the planet and live to be 105!!!
    Many die young and virginal.

Roll with the punches baby but there is no excuse for stupidity. :2c:
    BP

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

What's your diet like? How much water are you drinking each day?

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

Age, overall and even life-long activity level, saturated fats, fiber intake, smoking, alcohol and a bizillion other things affect cholesteroid levels before you even get to genes. High cholesterol may also be a sign of inflammation in the body, and cholesterol is released to hep repair damaged tissue of all sorts. Stress, as one example, over time can mess with body chemistry (cortisol for one) and cause damage to artery walls, where cholesterol deposits can build up and cause big trouble down the road. A lot of people seem to be under the notion that, after abusing themselves for 10 or 20 years, they can simply make a solid decision to eat right, exercise, drink plenty of fluids, etc., and they'll maybe live to be 90. Problem is, habits formed in youth often cause damage that can be of negative effect down the road. Maybe your friend had a healthful youth and you didn't. Maybe it's other factors as I mentioned. But your buddy probably isn't going to live forever by weighing 300 lbs. and eating pizza & cheeseburgers every day. I'm no expert on health, but I did survive a stroke and learned a lot from it. Sound advice in all aspects regarding health is wise to take. But the most surprising thing I've ever done (and I'm not suggesting this to anyone, though I think it's a great idea for those who want better health) was to raid my entire pantry, fridge and freezer, and throw out everything that had inordinate amounts of sodium, sugar, and significant amounts of preservatives. What was left? I think maybe two bananas and an apple, a bag of lightly salted mixed nuts and a few bags of frozen vegetables. Everything else was loaded with sodium, sugar, preservatives or was of such poor quality that it didn't pass muster.

Canned foods - sodium, sugar, preservatives and whopping amounts of it.
    Boxed foods - kraft Mac & cheese: fat and salt, macaroni of poor quality.
    Ramen noodles - read the ingredients, then watch what that stuff does in your stomach on YouTube.
    Frozen pizza - depending on the make & model, there can literally be separate paragraphs of ingredients per topping, sauce and crust. Fay, sodium & sugar.
    Peanut butter & jelly - good riddance.
    Even a chicken - it happened to be brined, which pumps enough sodium into it to raise your BP for hours.
    Every soft drink that's not 100% water - bye. There are no healthy soft drinks, period.
    Fruit juice - that's right, about as much sugar as soda and can spike your sugar levels. Fruit was meant to be consumed whole so that the fiber slows down sugar absorption.
    Fast food - there are zero healthful options anywhere, ever.

Technically, if you don't pick it off a tree or pull it out of the ground, it's not going to be the best quality food you can obtain, and even then we have pesticides to deal with. Now I still adhere to "all things in moderation", having an unrelenting addiction to pizza (fresh, never frozen), and then there's burgers and dogs in the summertime, etc. Fresh unprocessed meats (I ain't no vegetarian), but deli foods are awful.

You'd be surprised what you put in your body each day for years and years because of the wonderful looking labels, deceptive front label claims like "40% less fat" while the sugar and sodium are out of control, and misleading serving sizes. Food was meant to be health for your body in raw format, and cooking cannot be criticized as long as it's done properly.

I'll quit here, sorry for the dissertation and for getting off track. But I think this kind of stuff should be rather fascinating to anyone who wants to live a truly healthier lifestyle. If you find yourself going down the same path, remember - all things in moderation.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

Great point, cross. Water intake is highly underrated. :yesway:

8. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

Meh. My cholesterol gives doctors heart attacks. It's always been high. I don't know if you do the sum the same way in the USA but here they want it about 3-5, mine routinely goes to 11 (Eat that Nigel Tuffnel). My blood pressure has started creeping up in recent years but my heart is ok.

When a doctor starts ragging on me about the cholesterol or the diabetes I just hit them with the several types of cancer I have.

And you know what ? None of that matters. June 2013 perforated bowel. Hit me completely out of the blue and almost killed me. All the exercise diet and medicine meant nought.

Live more worry less.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yup. True story, about 10 years a health-nut friend was ragging on my bass player Neubeaun for not exercising and gaining a few pounds and always tried to persuade him to play handball or golf at least.. Healthy McHealtherson did develop a torn rotator cuff and since his company's insurance plan paid for surgery, and he'd planned golf weekend in Monterey a couple of months hence, he didn't waste any time on physical therapy or drug therapies, he scheduled surgery and on a Friday morning told his wife: "Let's have Italian tonight, I won't need to cut pasta." and called his secretary to tell her to take the day off, he'd see her Monday. In fact the viewing wasn't until Thursday. About 10 minutes into the surgery his heart just stopped and didn't re-fire. I always remember his wife at the reception after the memorial saying how much she always wished he'd just stay in bed one Saturday morning instead of going to the country club. Neubeaun is now 80 pounds overweight, wheezes when he lifts a pitcher of lager and is mildly incontinent, but he still gets to hear his old lady nag him to lose the weight and stop drinking.

10. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I will say this as I have told many "doctors" before, no two people are the same and your numbers are not average for everyone.

Screw that, I aint taking your drugs or letting some prick vacuum my asshole. Yes, I have said that before too.

Not of this Earth. Well, at least some of me anyway. :)

Be positive and take care of yourself. If you cannot do that you are doomed.

11. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

12. jdm66

jdm66 New Member

As was said above, have a real good look at your diet which is in your control. As far as your buddy, it's just a matter of time before he starts having problems.

13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Too much exercise too frequently can distort your medical readings

Wth is a cat scan calcium score? And you do realize weight training done "right" might not even LET you lower your cholesterol?

14. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Jim Fixx?
    He was the guy that started America jogging.
    Found dead in his track suit by the road!

From Wikipedia:
    "Fixx died on July 20, 1984 at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, during his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy, conducted by Vermont's chief medical examiner, Dr. Eleanor McQuillen, revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%. (His father Calvin Fixx had died of a second heart attack at age 43.)

In 1986 exercise physiologist Kenneth Cooper published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death. Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed - his father died of a heart attack at 43 after a previous one at 35, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart - and had an unhealthy life: Fixx was a heavy smoker before beginning running at age 36, had a stressful occupation, had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 214 pounds (97 kg). Medical opinion continues to uphold the link between moderate exercise and longevity."

Right idea. Wrong genes.
    Tried to fix(x) his lifestyle too late, too fast.
    Also unlucky to have missed out on Statins that came along 3 years later!

Familial Hypercholesterolaemia is a massive killer.
    Genetic!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Had a blood test done at some point where my protein levels were through the roof. Doctor thought my heart was dissolving. Turned out to be the weight lifting I had done the day before and it was muscle tissue breaking down to be regenerated and grow bigger. My point: medical tests can never indicate anthing a 100 percent. There's a lot of factors weighing in.

As others have said, live life and worry less. As long as you keep things moderate (the rule of the golden middle) and you are happy you'll be ok. We only get to live one life and it's a pretty damn short one. No one should be miserable.

Hell I know people that drank 2 bottle of hard liquor every day and smoked like a chimney. Got to be 90. My ex girlfriends dad was a healthy living guy, never smoked, only drank in moderation, worked out regularly. He did a check up one day, everything was fine. A month later they found 4 liters of water in his stomach with metastasis everywhere. He died about 3 weeks later. He was in his early 40ies. Shit man. Fair? No.

16. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Appreciate the comments. The last line of my post said tongue in cheek because I’m not really sweating it. My genes predetermined my situation.

Speaking of Jim Fixx. My one vice is a 4 a day cigar habit. My friends tease me about spending so much time on the bike and gym then going to the cigar club every day. I tell them Fixx died a young man and George Burns lived to 100 with his 8 decades of a 6 cigar a day habit.

Biddlin, SkyMonkey and guzzis3 like this.
  17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

My brother Joe is 77.

He flew up from Georgia to ride in the 40 mile/5 borough bike event in NYC.

He rode 40 miles in 5 1/2 hours.

Joe is 77 and fit as a fiddle.

He was always healthy/fit and his stint in the US Army probably helped.

I'm 11 younger with health issues.

Go figure.

18. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease that I inherited from my mom. Had a kidney transplant 3 years ago at age 50 and fortunately am doing well. My brother and sister did not get the gene so they do not have this disease. I am truly happy for them.

With PKD there’s a 50/50 chance of getting it - just depends who’s gene is inherited at conception.

I found out I had the disease after my 3rd child was born so I told my wife I didn’t want to have any more children (we wanted 5).

My oldest has it, my middle one doesn’t and we don’t know about my youngest yet. There is no cure and nothing to do but manage the symptoms if/when they start to show so it doesn’t make sense to get tested. The only thing it will do is mess with insurance. The two oldest needed CT scans for something which is how we found out.

Yes it sucks and I’ll be on anti-rejection medicine and monthly blood tests the rest of my life - not cheap either. But I’m still here and for that I am grateful.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  19. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

Referencing Bill Hicks is always a good idea. Now I'm going to spend 6 hours on youtube watching bill hicks routines...

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  20. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

"Time to pick better parents!!!!" - Greg Doucette...

He's one of my favorite Canuck bodybuilder/YouTube ranter...