General Marshall question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Shane Stevenson, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

As some of you guys know, I’m completely new to the Marshall thing but I’m here to stay!

I was just wondering, with my SV and SC is it safe to power these amps on while in standby mode like I’ve done with my other amps throughout the years? I’ve always done this and moved from “standby” to “on” after the tubes were warm.

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

That is exactly how you are supposed to power up ANY tube amp. Power on, wait, standby on. Standby off, wait, power off.

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

yeah let them tubes warm up for a minute then rock it

4. Shane Stevenson

I was told on other amps to turn off by completely turning off without going to standby first. I think it has something to do with letting all power leave the amp by turning off this way. Does anybody do this or should I definitely go to standby first, then turn off. Sorry for the juvenile questions but I do appreciate the replies!

5. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

Really interesting!

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/great-standby-switch-myth/

On my Astoria Custom I don't use the stanby switch, always it's on.

A tip of Steve Dawson, designer of the Astoria Range.

"I would actually discourage people from using the standby switch in any amps that utilize a valve rectifier. The transient stress is not good for it."

stringtree, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

That's fine you are doing it correct nothing wrong.
    When you turn the standby, there are bleeder resistors to discharge the power supply. It doesn't usually stay charged up when the amp is off.
    You can go ahead and use the standby as the beer break switch also...

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I do it the same, and as Ampmad says. Your good, there are some that say hit power and standby at the same time , I have been doing it this way for years, with the exception of the origin, as it has no standby.
    Cheers
    Mitch

MarshallDog, stringtree and tce63 like this.
  8. Matthews Guitars

On most any amp that's built with any degree of safety in mind, there are bleeder resistors going to ground that bleed off the high voltage on the power supply capacitors, and this function is always operating, regardless of which position the power and standby switches are in.

I have always considered it good practice to put the amp in standby for a few seconds before turning off the main power switch. If nothing else, this allows the HV to bleed down so that when you turn off the power switch, you don't get to hear the sounds of an amp dying. Some amps can be kind of noisy if you just turn them off by the main power switch alone.

There is no down side to going to standby before powering down.

9. Shane Stevenson

Very helpful! Thanks guys

10. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Standby on wait 5-10, go take a piss or something or tune your guitar then flick it to on and play. Same thing turning it off, go to standby for a minute then off. Just a good practice. If anything the next time you go to flick it on it’s in standby again.

11. ampmadscientist

There has been a lot of talk lately from some goof-ball who tells us not to use the standby switch.
    A person who thinks he's the worlds biggest expert, which obviously he is not.
    I think this person is full of crap.
    There is nothing wrong with using the standby switch.

The idea of the standby switch comes from tube radio transmitters. (Leo Fender did not invent the standby switch).

12. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    If I am going to poke around inside, I tend to switch off by turning off the power switch, turning all the knobs to max and hitting a few power chords for a second or two until all sound stops. Otherwise I always, but ALWAYS use the standby switch followed by the power switch a few seconds later.
    When switching on, I always power up and then get guitar(s) and pedals sorted whilst she warms up. Then I switch on the standby switch. Probably OCD or anal-retentive or whatever, but here's the thing... that's how I do it. How you do it is entirely up to you. And it has worked for me for over five decades - so you are welcome to try and change me - but don't hold your breath whilst doing so.

:hippie::pirate::uk:

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Same as @Nik Henville for me.

I have a MkII Valvestate too. SS power amp and no standby, but if I just turn it off if gives one hell of a (worrying) POP.
    There is a muting function if nothing is plugged in the front, so I pull the guitar lead as I turn off. Silence!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  14. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

I've read a lot recently on "how to and how to not" use the standby. I can find no evidence (words are not evidence) of anything wrong doing or damage with using the stand-by up and down. So I continue to use it accordingly.
    Lots of talk about not needing to use it, yada yada. But for me, no reason to take any chances.
    And it keeps gnawing at me that the manufactures like Marshall have them, and I have a really hard time believing it is there for no reason. They don't build amps based on internet consensus.

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I always start with the amp in Standby. When powering down, I always put the amp in Standby for about 10 seconds. I don't like the Marshall "squeak" when powering down (without going to Standby for about 10 to 15 seconds first).

16. ampmadscientist

Leo Fender adopted the standby switch from tube radio transmitters.
    The standby switch allows the filament to heat up the tubes, and allows the bias voltage to control the current before the high voltage is turned on.
    By doing this, the surge current is reduced and the tubes will last longer.
    I have confidence that Leo picked the correct method. He wanted the amplifiers to be a reliable as possible for as long as possible.
    I will use the beer break switch without the slightest hesitation. I have used the standby switch for more than 45 years, and will continue to do so - no matter what some quack tells me.

17. Matthews Guitars

Although it's a lesser consideration, by using the standby switch you avoid putting the tubes into the state that leads to cathode stripping, which is when the cathode is below operating temperature but there's current demand on it. By putting the amp in standby, high voltage gets bled off before the filament and cathode cool off.

The way to bring about cathode stripping would be to crank the amp up and play while turning off filament voltage. It may not really be much of an issue but I do not recommend playing the amp after turning it off for that reason.

18. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

A standby switch costs money to buy, design into the circuit and install. If it wasn't necessary they wouldn't put it in there. Use at will, i always have and never had any nasty side effects.

19. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I’ve always been led to believe (right or wrong) that you should turn the power switch first. Wait a bit, then flip the standby. Play.

To power off, shut both off at once. I was told or read that there is no need to let anything “bleed” or “cool” before turning off as powering down does all that anyway.

Am I doing it wrong?

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

No as long as your method stays consistent you are fine, I have done it both ways, off at the same time, and waiting a few seconds.
    What you want to watch, and make sure of is that standby and power are in the same position upon power up, meaning both are in the off position

LPMarshall hack and MarshallDog like this.