Gear You Still Have From When You Began Playing

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Kutt, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Who here still has gear from when they started playing many years ago? More specifically, gear that you look at that gives you fond memories and is special to you?

I have lots and lots of gear, but when I see both my Charvel 475 Deluxe and my BOSS CH-1 from the early 90s, I get all warm n' fuzzy. They are my most long tenured material possessions for good reason. The Charvel was my first real guitar and was a Christmas gift from my parents when I was about 14 years old. The CH-1 was my second pedal ever (after a DOD Thrash Master) and it sounds magnificent.

upload_2019-6-15_6-53-34.png

2. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

I only have two things left, my Ibanez SM9 and my 80's strat plus which is heard all over this forum.
    Had to get a loan for the strat and my Dad bought the pedal when I was in year 10 at high school 1984 I think.
    That pedal has seen some crazy times and been in some bad situations as well as good.
    Its been bashed, thrown, soaking wet, kicked around my shed floor for years, spent time in hock shops with my Strat, pulled apart and survived fights (in the shed) and even survived my brother in a rage destroying anything of mine he could see in front of him with a pick handle. I used it for a headphone amp when I had no amp.
    I took it to jams at my mates places which usually involved some sort of liquid being spilt on the floor and the pedal, It still works! It has outlived some of the people that used, were amused by or abused it including my brother.
    The Strat went through most of this as well but kept out of the way a little better.
    Wish I still had my jcm800 combo and my boss chorus from those times as well.
    All the other stuff I have now has led a super tame and quiet existence.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

108.jpg

This thing has been following me since 1989.

4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Just recently sold an EH Big Muff from the 70's for a very pretty penny...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

For me, it's a Cry Baby (first pedal I ever bought), a Boss DS-1 (first dirt pedal I ever bought) and a Hiwatt Lead 100 (my second tube amp, and one and only 100 watter). They all went through the "bar gig" years with me, had some fun times with them. Still use them today (but not as much as back in the '80s).

6. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

I remember coming back from a jam one night in this blokes old F100. Him my brother and me with all our gear in the back driving like idiots laughing like mad.
    I all of a sudden remembered (after tuning back in on the big noise I could hear) and looked out through the back window into the tray of the ute to see all our gear rolling around like boiling chunky soup. My Marshall was upside down and my brothers bass not in its case sailing past the back window.
    What a blast!

Michael Roe and Kutt like this.
  7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

My very first left handed guitar I bought myself was a Yamaha F335 acoustic in 1980, I learned to play on that guitar and it sits to this day in the corner of my family room for me to pickup and noodle on now and then, fond memories every day I look at it. I don't have my first electric any more it was junk but I do have my first amp a Peavey Backstage combo I bought in 1982, it sits in the corner of my music room unplayed but I remember all the good times I had with it growing up. :yesway:

8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I have my Magnatone Zyphyr (in pieces) and a C. Bruno parlour guitar from the early 1900's (unplayable).

The C. Bruno was a gift from my grandfather.

It's a possible bird cage now.

9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Just this thing...…….
    20190615_090305.jpg

10. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Bought this Showman and JBL K120 when I was 15. Built a speaker cab in shop at school (long gone) and this was my rig for several years... until I could afford my first Marshall. Sure wish I had my Firebird from back then... ShowmanFront.jpg JBL_only.JPG

11. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Still have my first guitar, a Wes Mitchell (who?) acoustic I dug out of my friends trash. It had a broken neck. Also have my first electric, an Epi LP-100. I still play that acoustic, but not the electric.

12. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

I had a love-hate relationship with a $5 swap meet Harmony classical w case.

Five bucks.

Strung it w Ernie Balls, lowered the bridge bone notches, walked 2 miles of train tracks to school with that case to school for 1st period lessons every day, mounted a Dimarzio VS-1, then smashed it.

About 4 years ago I saw the spitting image at Santa Monica Salvation Army with the same cardboard case with the same fabric covering, same rosette for $19.95.

Asked half-heartedly if I can take it for 40% off. It went home with me in the front seat I don’t know why.

Perhaps it was all that luggaging around on train tracks, kicking bottles cans and huge stones outta my way on the path to school like I was it’s hostage while other kids had bikes or got rides to school. But whenever I visit my locker it’s the first in the stack before the Gibson’s or anything else because I just stare at it and remember.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

The only piece of gear I have left from the beginning!
    Is my attitude to learn to play better. Sorry guys all the old stuff has gone down the road!
    Cheers Mitch

14. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Mitch am I just stuck in a Pet Sematary sort of loop here?

If I smash it Tuesday for example to “bury the past” you know it’s gonna show up again

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Neil Skene like this.
  15. carnada

carnada Well-Known Member

I started my musical journey as a drummer. And I actually kept my very first drum sticks! I have them to this day.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Wow that is unbelievable

17. Mitchell Pearrow

I didn’t smash it, but I did purchase another one (Gibson Explorer)
    Cheers Mitch

mirrorman and netlocal like this.
  18. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

C070B8EC-F2ED-4D75-91FA-5CA11BC46662.jpeg Bought a used 1974 Fender Jazz, in 1977, for $300. From a guy down on Washington Blvd in Los Angeles when I was 16 years old. Same case and same strap. Still play it, recorded with it last week.
    B13C6D3E-2A67-48CF-AD6D-B15AFE6BB77D.jpeg
    Also have an Atlas mic stand I bought at 16.

Still have my late 60’s Kustom 200. Picked this up in ‘77 or ‘78. I used in with two Sunn 2x15’s (long gone). One of the cabs had CREAM stenciled on the back. When I bought one of the Sunns from a guy in the Valley, Randy California was there just noodling away on a guitar when I went there to get it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  19. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I still have my very first electric guitar, simply because it was my first:

[​IMG]

It's the Paul Stanley signature Apocalypse Pro and even though you couldn't pay me enough money to play anyones signature guitar these days I'll never sell it. It's one of the reasons I stuck to this wonderful instrument :)

She needs a lot of work. Shitty tuners need to be replaced, new nut cut, the neck needs shimming, she's in dire need of a fret job and/or refret and a proper set of electronics and pickups wouldn't hurt either.

I'll fix her up one day eventually. For now she's just sitting in a case.

20. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

My first guitar. Even though it looks a tad different from when I first got it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]