Gear We're Hoping To Get For Christmas

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Oct 27, 2019.

1. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

The Gear I got for Christmas in 1967 when I was 13 years old.. But I don't have them anymore.. My first Electric Guitar and amp.. I can't remember the name of the Guitar but the Amp was a Kent..

My First Guitar.jpg

tce63, AlvisX and Jethro Rocker like this.
  2. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

two biggest priorities for my arsenal would be:

any year left hand Firebird V/III/or VII ( haven't found one, been looking for about 8 months now)
    1960 BX cabinet to go with my 1960 AX. (would be equally as nice).

3. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

A p bass hard shell case , used preferably . Lol

4. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm Happy! Could be better but is not bad.
    The coal here is to remind you to stay humble too. Also for bad the children who did not behave correctly. But this coal is sweet. You can eat It.

BanditPanda likes this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Well, I got my Christmas present.................

Epiphoneoldglorya.jpg

More 2019 guitar acquisitions:

1968 Gibson ES 335.jpg
    2013gibsonmemphisawblpwithoutpg.jpg
    gibsonmemphisfigured 335 a.jpg
    2001gibsonwalnut335a.jpg

:>)

tce63 and BftGibson like this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah..how many times!!!! If I see that blueberry ES335 one more time I'm gonna puke :rofl:
    And get those wires out of the f hole of that walnut ( or whatever) one. They should not be visible.
    Sheesh.!
    BP

tce63, marshalltsl and harleytech like this.
  7. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

All I really need is set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts in gold.

tce63 likes this.
  8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

:applause:

gibsonmemphisfigured335 face a.jpg

tce63 and AlvisX like this.
  9. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tce63 and AlvisX like this.
  10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

tce63 likes this.
  11. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Hoping for the spare change to buy what I want , because aint nobody GIFTED me any gear for the holidays since Mom n Pop laid the strat on me for Xmas / HS graduation in '80

Ever since I scored that old Marshall IBS bass head for '80 bucks , Ive been rounding up a bunch of "obsolete" rack gear

[​IMG]

So I got that Peavey tube bass preamp ,real cheap

A guy on local Craigs had this Marshall 9001 preamp n cut me a deal . Although it's not really my kind of thing , I do feel like I can actually get some ME tone out of it.
    [​IMG]

I've beeen foolin around with stuff like this or Tube Works Blue Tube into a clean SS amp ,and getting great results . Ive had a Blue Tube rack unit for awhile ...and picked up a couple Blue Tube pedals cheap,recently . They work great for warming up a solid state bass amp OR to get some actual ,passable tube guitar overdrive .
    Most tube overdrive units are too gainy/spikey for me to deal with . But the Blue Tube AND this 9001 actually work for me .Im gonna try this stuff on a gig soon .I hope I don't lose all tone personality ...like Gibbons did when he went to using this kind of stuff .
    I think in the end, nothing beats the old school Bassman/ Marshall rigs . But this stuff is kinda fun ....like Legos

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    BftGibson likes this.
  12. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Active Member

Kawai Sd3w Hound Dog Taylor.

I later learned it was a Kawai-made guitar called an SD. These guitars came in a few different pickup configurations and the model name simply changed to designate the number of pickups. For instance, the SD3W would have three pickups and the SD4W (Photo 2) would have four pickups. You dig? These early Kawai originals were favored by many Chicago bluesmen, including Hound Dog Taylor. Though the guitars were inexpensive, they were very sturdily built and sounded great, and they had perfect factory action for playing slide. We’ll discover why in a moment.

These early Kawai originals were favored by many Chicago bluesmen, including Hound Dog Taylor.
    Kawai entered the electric guitar market around 1963, and the SD guitars began arriving on U.S. shores in late 1964. The SDs had a relatively short production run that lasted until early 1966. Kawai always had a reputation as a maker of fine pianos. When they started making electric guitars, they converted one of their piano factories to this end and applied their manufacturing techniques and expertise to making guitars.

To me, these Kawai guitars always felt like a piece of furniture. When I was a kid, my family had big, heavy, dark Mediterranean-style furniture that kind of hurt when I sat on it. Like, serious furniture! Well, these SD guitars are also pretty darn serious. They feature huge necks and a totally crazy neck joint that is both glued in and bolted on. Some of the earliest SD guitars even had an insanely large tombstone-shaped neck plate that featured five screws.
    The wood in these SD guitars is actually quite nice, and I often see some finely grained rosewood fretboards. But aside from the build quality and looks, these guitars can be a pain to set up properly. Typical of the early Japanese electrics, the neck angle is really bad as you move up the fretboard. In the open chord area, it’s all good, but when you get to the 9th fret, the action is often super high. This is very difficult to remedy without removing the neck ... and you remember that neck joint I mentioned earlier? The one that’s bolted and glued, and has finish applied over the whole area? Ah, yes—that one.

The necks are incredibly large—they feel like a smoothed-out piano leg—and feature a very deep V contour. Of course, we have V-shaped necks today, but they’re wimpy in comparison to the early Kawai electrics. The truss-rod cover is stamped “Patent 34-4127,” which is noteworthy because you rarely see a patent number applied to any Japanese guitar from the era. Kawai must have thought they’d really broken new ground with their truss-rod design, but sisters and brothers, let me tell you it was way under-spec’d and barely moves the action on these mammoth necks. I suppose the good thing about the thick neck is that it doesn’t bow easily.

My friend Mike Dougan from Facebook playing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AlvisX and custom53 like this.
  13. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

14. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

In a weird turn of events, for Christmas I got something that wasn't even on my radar. But I'm elated, as it turns out. Courtesy of a Premier Guitar Christmas stocking, I now have an OX Amp Top Box. What a cool piece of equipment and something I can really use.
    [​IMG]

jimmyjames likes this.