Gauging Interest In A Marshall Builders Sub-forum...

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by coldengray, Sep 26, 2016.

?

Should we build a Marshall Builds Sub-Forum?

1. Yes - great idea!

88.7%
  2. No - we don't need that.

11.3%
  1. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    I'm 100% for it...absolute great idea!

sloan_amps and coldengray like this.
  2. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

I voted for it

coldengray likes this.
  3. myself80

myself80 Active Member

Sounds good.

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

That is a good point. Are the appropriate topics going to be moved to the appropriate sub?

5. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

Solid response so far, including several people who have PM'd me with positive words. Alex himself also PM'd me asking what we should name the sub-forum...my idea was: "Building the Classics - post your replicas, Marshall build threads, look for parts, discuss transformers, ask for help".
    Any better ideas? I'll reply to his PM again if we come up with something good.

sloan_amps likes this.
  6. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

7. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Ive been to forums that have about 3 times as many "sub forums" then the Marshall forum.

Ive been thinking about the idea to build my own also

8. scottbaierl

scottbaierl Active Member

There's an entire blog site with forum after forum dedicated to 18 watt builders, we could probably use a single forum...

9. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

Isnt this a official Marshall fourm anyways? Why would it have a dedicated clone thread?

It think its a good idea but thinking the bigger picture its going to be a bad decision. I think most builders know about the Merto forum and that place has a lot of information. If theres no need to use it there will be no reason for George to keep it up running. The end result is we loose all that great information. If you build a Marshall you go to Metro. If you build a 18 watt you go to 18watt.com. If you build a Trainwreck or Dumble you go to the Amp Garage. If you want to talk Vintage you go to Vintage Amps.

But still most folks arnt building replicas, just a less expensive allternitive to a production amp. Once you see one Valvestorm build you've pretty much seen them all

10. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I know I have many ideas for both power transformer AND output transformer specs, but the makers do not want to do custom orders/changes to their transformers for only a few pieces. If we come up with quite a few people that would go in on group buys, that would make those ideas of custom transformer specs, and heck even custom chassis builds, a possibility.

coldengray likes this.
  11. coldengray

I have to disagree with you on that point. There are tons of parts variations and methods of construction when building a clone or replica. I have built some pretty unique ones myself. If you build strictly using Valvestorm kits parts, yes those will all look the same. But there are plenty of people using all NOS parts, or builds with really high end new production parts.

As I mentioned in my original post, I see Marshall builds posted on a lot of different forums...and with the Metro forum being so dead, why not make THIS forum the place to go for Marshall builds?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    sloan_amps likes this.
  12. stickyfinger

Because of al the great information we have on metro. If we all migrate over here there will be no need for George keeping the forum up and we loose all that information. That forum is still up and running through the ups and downs and to just abandon it because its slow isn't right especially with all that George has done for it. I think folks are going to use what ever forum they want and add another one into the mix is just going to make every forum that much slower.

13. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Ummm, I think the majority of those interested in the new thread idea are mostly here a lot anyway, but instead of posting threads on other forums about their builds to try to stimulate ideas and conversation, post them in a single thread here. I do not think it will change George's site at all.

I consistently see remarks on other sites from new builders asking about their Marshall clones (not just JTM's) and see other members refer them here for info.

Ghostman and coldengray like this.
  14. stickyfinger

Point is if this is the new "go to place" we lose Metro and all the archived info there. Think the big picture here. Why do we need a 5th pace to post builds?

15. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Do not worry about Metro and build a database here.

Is there sub forums yet for this?

Also lets have subforums for all Marshall schematics links, clone schematics links and Marshall manuals. That would be great and beneficial.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    sloan_amps and coldengray like this.
  16. coldengray

Once again the Metro Forum has crashed (or been hacked)...let's get a Marshall builder sub-forum going here, on the most active Marshall site on the web.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  17. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

to think a started sub-forum here about builds is going to shut down Metro, is awfully ambitious. Prediction: not one bit of traffic suffers at any other forum.

coldengray likes this.
  18. stickyfinger

My understanding, the proposal is to be the new Marshall build forum. The place to go for Marshall builds. Especially since the OPer has posted to every forum I visit. So what happens to Metro? Just let it collect dust? Because that is what the OP is getting at. He wants a new central place for Marshall builds. Metro is where we go for Marshall builds. It has years and years of archived info that will be lost. There will be no reason for George to keep it maintained and $ running if folks come and post here.

I don't know whats going on at Metro ATM.. Maybe George pulled the plug after reading this or maybe the OP jinxed the bejesus out of it. lol

19. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Count me in, 100%.
    I have a 64 split panel replica to share, with all NOS parts, including an original RS output tranny, head box in original Rexine covering, EC Collins white RS cloth, etc..
    From personal experience, the OP has an immense amount of knowledge to share....and loves the genre.
    Let's do it :)

v846 and coldengray like this.
  20. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    I'm starting a Trinity Plexi II build so heck yeah!

coldengray likes this.