Gas attack! Origin20h vs SV20?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I can't help it lately seeing these threads about the Origins and the SV20's. I am torn about these but still want to get another. I don't think I gave the Origin20 a good chance but the SV20 is going to be loud and expensive. I need to unload some speakers and get the ones I love (G1275's) but I still want to get one of these too. If Marshall made a Vietnamese model of the studio heads I could've had all three. There is no middle ground model that is great and affordable. I really have not heard really good clips of either amp honestly. Good AC/DC, Judas Priest, ripping blues etc... The Origin sounded good with the SD-1 but not with my TS-9 which was a disapointment. I would get another Bugera PS-1 probably because yes it worked for the studio heads fine. I always wanted an 1987X but could never afford one and it was loud. That was why I got a 1960 and modded it. It is good but the speakers are the problem now with that. I need more convincing. I want a great vintage tone not a clean tone and have to use pedals.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Knowing you, you should just get both :D

R.Kandy, Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  3. John Finnerty

John Finnerty Member

Hi.
    Have had a Origin 20H for a week now.
    I really like it.
    I thought about buying the 50 w but decided against it , because what I needed was something with the possibility for sane volume levels. I've got 2 73 JMPs if insanity is required ! :) Plenty loud, surprising how much power .5 watt is. I have been using a touch of attenuation with it, 2 clicks on my Power Brake.
    Does this sound "exactly" like my 73s?
    No, of course not.
    All / most the tone is there, just not as BIG.
    Asked my wife the other day "how's the new amp sound?"
    She said "Pretty much the same as the other ones"
    I've played through a couple of other small "all tube amps".
    Meh.
    When turned up a bit (ummm...most of the way up, lol) this snarls and growls with the beautiful glowing old school distortion I love so much... :)
    Good for the money?
    Just plain good!

MarshallDog, R.Kandy, rolijen and 2 others like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I believe I am 100% safe in saying that given the opportunity of being given a free SV20H or a free Origin 20H all players would go for the SV20. Even if retail value or resale value were the same.
    Where I live the SV20H sells for 1500. The Origin 20H sells for 700.
    It boils down to needs/finances/dreams. lol
    If you're a gigging, money making player no question the SV20 is the way to go.
    If you're a play at home/jam night guy with disposable income the SV20 is the way to go.
    If you dream about having that glorious Marshall vintage sound at your back the SV20 is the way to go.
    Otherwise get the Origin and get close.
    :2c: :io:
    BP

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

6. Mitchell Pearrow

7. Mitchell Pearrow

I agree with BP
    And I got close.
    Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog, wntbtw, rolijen and 2 others like this.
  8. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

Origin 20, Let there be Rock. SV20, more Back in Black on-wards. I like them both, but the SV gives that little extra 10%. I generally don't use pedals to get these sounds. There was always a little sizzle on the Origin that I miss. The first time I fired up the SV, I said "there it is!".

9. Mitchell Pearrow

So did you sell your Origin ??

MarshallDog likes this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

@Msharky67,...did you have the Origin 20 for a while? If so what happened? I've been thinking about the Origin 20 also, GAS is an awful thing!

11. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

I've never played an Origin so take what I say with a grain of salt...

I bought an SV20 recently and it just drips with vintage Marshall tone. Without a doubt, if that's what you're after, it delivers. It's loud and proud. I have a JMP for tonal comparison and the JMP sounds more "modern" in a late seventies early eighties way (think Thin Lizzie) whereas the SV20 is more vintage in a Cream way.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Heres an interesting video,...

13. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

Yep, sold it a few weeks ago on Reverb. Just needed the space.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

SV!

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. mad5066

mad5066 Member

I have the O20h which I'm happy with. I eventually want to get the SV20h as well. Doing a comparison for myself will be the only way to decide. Probably end up keeping both. I wanna get a 2061cx cab for the SV20h and I don't know why marshall just doesnt re-release it again.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

SV20H on a payment plan, thats your answer. You have a big list of stuff some of it I bet you dont need, start selling it off. :yesway:

tce63, WellBurnTheSky and wntbtw like this.
  17. Msharky67

I think I am going to save up for the SV20. I want that tone and the Origin is not going to cut it. I have this tone in my head. I've been listening to Dirty looks lately and that tone is what I am after. Organic ringing chords. Having the Origin once if I didn't like it the first time then the second time is not going to be much better. I felt it had a limited usable range and too clean. It wasn't bad just not my liking. I could sell my Bugera 1960 but its not worth much even though I modded it. I hope I could get $400 for it. I will probably get another PS-1 for the SV20 when I do. It did work for my studio heads. Thanks everybody.

18. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Good luck! I’m sure you will enjoy the SV. But as you know, speakers make so much difference. I’m 90% of the way to that “tone in my head.” I’ll be saving my lunch money for a quad of Greenies to get the rest of the way there. :dude:

19. Msharky67

I want to get new speakers as I hate the Rocket 50's I bought. I am trying to unload 3 of them. I usually favor the G12T-75's. I want to get a set of something for one of my 212 cabs. I am pissed that WGS speakers cost as much as Celestions now. The whole point of them was to save. I would love to get GB for that head. But doesn't the wattage matter too. I have to be careful not to use something high wattage with those in it. I'll probably get the 75's even if they are used.

Funny story I saw a mint SV20 for $799 and free shipping. I favorited the listing to watch it and maybe see if they took offers. I took a shower and checked it after I got out and it was GONE! I am like %$#@! Really! Some bastard got a steal! Story of my life!

20. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

If it can help, I've used my SV with newish G12M25s, mid-80s G12T75s (the good ones), and now Anniversary G12H30s (in an EVH cab).
    Mids and low-end were pretty good on the G12Ms, but I couldn't live with the top-end grind they have. I love them with my DSL, but they didn't work as well with the SV.
    The G12Ts were pretty nice, but they lacked girth in the mids, and were a bit too bright for my taste. Again, love them with the DSL, just now 100% there with the SV.
    To me, the Anny G12Hs are just IT and fit the SV perfectly. They have the mid girth and fullness of the G12M, but the top end clarity of the G12T, just smoother. Low end is full but tight. Top end was quite pronounced when I first got the cab, but gigging it all summer, speakers are pretty much broken in. Now top end is super smooth and singing, while keeping the clarity I like about them. Balance is great, I've been able to up the Treble quite a bit and still maintain a very smooth and pleasing tone (that still has lots of cut).
    I'd definitely recommend the speaker. And the EVH cab is great bang for the buck, very high quality.

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.