Gary Moore

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by axe4me, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Slightly more organised than that - the bands were booked, but otherwise that about nails whispering Bob's show..
    I am in that audience somwhere - I was no longer roadying for G by this time, but wanted to catch up on him and Phil (they were old neighbours, and jamming partners, of mine from Belsize Park before I roadied for them...) to find out how stuff was goin'.

:applause: It is really, really nice to see so many folk in here liking him :applause:

:hippie::pirate::uk:

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

3. Midnight Blues

As much as I love Peter Green and his arrangement of this song:

I prefer Gary's version even Moore:

4. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I know. He was definitely something else. But he had so much versatility in his playing. Dark Days In Paradise and A Different Beat, really out there for Gary. I remember hearing them for the 1st time and wasn't overly impressed. I listened to them again and they really grew on me. Insane albums but definitely different. And his last album Bad For You Baby is definitely one of his strongest blues albums. It just has everything.

Midnight Blues and Nik Henville like this.
  5. Midnight Blues

That's for sure. He could play any style he wanted and those two albums are good examples, as well as the jazz licks at 3:27 in the OP's original post. He could do it all.

6. Nik Henville

Gary Moore - The Stumble - Montreux 1995

Midnight Blues and Bogmonster like this.
  7. Nik Henville

The best drummer in the world
    The best bassist and songsmith in the world
    One of the best guitar players in the world

Midnight Blues and Bogmonster like this.
  8. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I had no idea you worked with Gary. That's very cool! I only saw him live once and he was unreal. He really seemed to just get lost in playing and was so in touch with what the rest of the band.

What was he like to work with? He seems like an absolute gentleman and I heard from a few people who met him that said he was pretty quiet off stage.

Nik Henville likes this.
  9. Nik Henville

@Bogmonster - he moved in to Belsize Park just down the road from me, and Phil and him used to go up to our local 'club' - all sorts of acts there, saw Hendrix real early on there... there were jam sessions most weekends based around Ginger Johnsons drummers - he coined "The Iroko" name for it. G was fairly shy, wary of folk, and always nagging me to turn my guitar up - but common interests bring people together and it was often that a few of us would hang out (usually) at Phil's place, getting stoned, and singing along to Zappa and Donovan and anything else with crazy lyrics. On tour he was the consummate pro, and liked everything to be just so. But sitting on a beercrate on the floor in the wee small hours at the Marquee, after a gig, playing blues on Greenie's old guitar, he was a joy to be with. Taught me a shed-load. As did his drummer, Pearse, and dear Phil when he was on the ground... I did bump in to Gary here and there over the years, and he was always cool, until I went and stood at his grave. Then I cried, but hey - shit happens.

So now - please spare a thought for Ginger (Baker), 'cause he ain't to good at the moment...

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey Nik...is this you 40 years ago ? lol
    upload_2019-9-26_14-33-36.png

Nik Henville likes this.
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

One of my favorite live shows, ever. His soloing on The Loner is unbelievable.
    To me, no one ever approached rock guitar with such a mix of abandon and raw intensity, yet flawless technique, perfect touch and incredible tone.
    He was everything most of us are striving to be, and then some.

12. Nik Henville

Certainly is...

[​IMG]

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

LMAO......well ain't you precious!!:rofl:
    BP

Nik Henville likes this.
  14. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

That's so cool! It's always great to hear that one of your main influences and heroes is a nice guy. I've been fortunate enough in that any of my guitar heroes that I've met have all been cool and down to earth.

I love watching Gary's interviews. The way he talks about guitar, you just know that he absolutely lives it. I can understand the whole pro level thing too. The time I saw him live, some guy was heckling him from the crowd and Gary wasn't one bit impressed. You don't need that kind of stuff when you're on stage. But he still dealt with it like a pro. Him and Phil were an unbelievable combo. I always go to Phil's statue in Dublin when I go there.

I can also 100% credit Gary for my taste in Marshalls. Saw him playing DSL's, Super Leads and JTM45's......and then had to own them myself :fever: I'm very easily influenced.

I also heard about Ginger. Very sad and will be thinking of him. Going to have to crank up some BBM today I think.

Thanks for the story!

15. Nik Henville

nope

BanditPanda likes this.
  16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Thank you for this! While his blues stuff is amazing, I was a fan in his "metal" days. Victims of the Future etc. Holds up to any hard rock guitar ever.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yeah, I absolutely love this video and often watch it, his playing on it is otherworldly. And the fact that his band is Neil Carter, Bob Daisley and Eric Singer, which is about as stellar as can be, definitely helps, they're beyond rock-solid !

Nik Henville likes this.