Gary Moore signature Marshall [1959?]

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by nakleh, Jan 1, 2009.

1. nakleh

nakleh New Member

Looks like Gary is having a 1959 Sig model built, this is part of an article from the February issue Guitar Player Magazine. Sound interesting..

"Did you plug into any other amps?

I used a Fender Dual Showman head which is what Peter Green used with Fleetwood Mac. The original cabinet had two 15" JBL's, but I never liked those, so I use it with a Marshall 4X12" loaded with Vintage 30's. I used that and a custom German solidbody with Bare Knuckle pickups - which are kind of out of phase to give you a Peter Green vibe- on "Someday Baby". I just ran both pickups up full, and I went straight into the amp for that song. I used a Marshall DSL 2000 for a couple of things, and I used the ES-335 through a Marshall 1959 SPLX head - which is basically an old 1959 with an effects loop - on "Do You Ever Feel Lonely." That amp has a very dirty sound-almost like it's going to blow up. I used DSL's from about 1996 until last year , but now I'm using two MARSHALL 1959HW's -the Handwired Reissues- onstage for a really nice, big, round sound. They have more presence and a rawer sound than the DSL's, with a feel that's closer to that of the amps Cream and Hendrix used.

I'm also having a signature Marshall built that will try to incorporate all those qualities. I'm going for a 100-watt head like the old 1959 Super Lead- with a spring reverb and the four inputs- but it will have a switch that links the inputs internally so you don't have to jumper them. It'll also have a half power switch, and a boost with just enough gain to give a lift to solos."

2. Brett Blackmore

Brett Blackmore New Member

Hi,

sounds interesting - I know he used DSLs for a very long time - and he has a large collection of amps to chose from. I guess the Plexi is just what he needs but it needs to get very dirty before it can deliver the goods - maybe he will add a gain stage too or use his old Guvnor pedal - it will be interesting though...

3. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Sounds like an awesome amp.

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Ooh, I'm definitely interested. I didn't know Gary used DSL's for so long. He has some real aggressive blues rock tones. I'll be watching for his amp. Thanks for posting about it.

5. stock_hippie

stock_hippie Well-Known Member

too cool...man id love an amp like that...!

6. psphill27

psphill27 New Member

Awesome! A man truley worthy of a signature Marshall. No doubt it should be killer, but I think I'll stick with my DSL 50 and VM. Will probably cost a bundle anyway.

7. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 Well-Known Member

there was some new video of him playing a new
    amp on youtube maybe that was it!

8. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

Gary sounds killer through any amp...but his victims of the future CD is the bomb, and I think that was all plexi with a lot of boost on the front end.. I,m thimking Tube Screamer... I will definetly check out his sig amp..

9. shawkey

shawkey Member

im glad richman dug this up... cause i'm still waiting for real news on this one.

10. BrotherJ

BrotherJ Member

This!

11. j2112c

j2112c Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, I am really interested to hear that amp!
    It will be expensive everyone so...... start the Darwinian process of looking through your kit and seeing what will be sold into extinction to make way for Gary Moores sig. Marshall... I was thinking of the wife, actually.

12. wulfgar1976

wulfgar1976 New Member

I'm not into his playing at all but I like a lot of the sounds he got. I'd be interested in giving a signature amp a test drive. So far, the specs sound good.

13. hmstrat

hmstrat New Member

Gary Moore??? A "signature" Marshall??? When I think of Gary Moore's sound, I think of a Soldano SLO-100...

14. Rypsolisti

Rypsolisti New Member

Sounds great! Can't wait to see it and hear it, I bet it's gonna be a great amp! Gary has always had a beautiful tone.