G12h-30 70th Anniversary Vs. Heritage G12h-30 75hz...help!!!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by MikeySixStrings, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Member

Hi folks, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of speakers and I'm hoping people with direct experience playing through the two G12H versions I listed in the thread title (not the 55Hz) can chime in with their opinions/descriptions on the differences between the two.

The 70th Anniversary model is probably my all time favorite guitar speaker, so I'm curious if springing for the Heritage version will leave me feeling it was money well spent, or just disappointed. My concerns stem from past experience with really liking the run-of-the-mill G12M 25 watt Greenbacks, but being completely disappointed after buying the Heritage G12M 20 watt Greenback speakers.

FWIW, Avatar is running a good sale on brand new Celestions right now. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and any guidance or advice.

Gianni and MesaMan50 like this.
  2. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I wasn't happy with all G12H30 Annis. I do like them mixed with a complimenting speaker. The Heritage might be a good one.

3. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-if you like the ANNIE's,... Your in luck,.. there's a lot available on the forum's...

-there supposed to be a V-30/GREENBACK mix...

-I had a pair and didn't like them at all..

-some people say they sound great mixed with V-30's & 75's

-I haven't heard of anyone mixing them with a HERITAGE GREENBACK,..

-give it a shot,.. Let us know how it sounds-

4. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I have both Annie and Heritage 55hz paired up on my 2x12 right now.... I haven't had the chance to crank them and put it to work. I do like the combination as far as playing them together at lower volume... It has the brown-ish Greenie bark.... I can't get the family out of the house for two weeks straight to hear their full potential...church band is on a short hiatus, so I haven't tried them in a band mix....

SG~GUY likes this.
  5. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-that might be a good pairing,-

6. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Speaker choice is a very personal thing, and amp-dependent too, which is why I think you should make it yourself.

This is how I made mine (G12H Anniversary):
    http://www.marshallforum.com/index.php?threads/the-official-1-watt-thread.63964/page-20#post-1490300
    http://www.marshallforum.com/index.php?threads/the-official-1-watt-thread.63964/page-20#post-1489815

Listen, if you haven’t already, to the tone samples of the two speakers in the Celestion website. The difference in sound between them is quite noticeable, more so through headphones. Which one do YOU like?
    http://celestion.com/product/17/g12h_anniversary/
    http://celestion.com/product/27/heritage_series_g12h75/

You will find lots of speaker comparisons on YouTube too:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Celestion+speakers+comparison

MikeySixStrings and MesaMan50 like this.
  7. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Pair up the Anniversaries with Greenbacks is what I did. Sounds good with a 4 holer.

8. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Member

Thanks for the feedback Gianni. I had listened to the clips on Celestion's site and while subtle, I actually like the tonal differences between the two models, with the Heritage G12H-30 (75Hz) sounding a bit more "refined" for lack of a better term.

Like you, I already own a 2061cx but am looking to re-load my 1960 4x12" cab. The two speakers at the top of my list are the Heritage G12H-30 (75Hz) and the Limited Edition 90th Anniversary G12-35XC. While it's not the best way to choose a speaker, I like what I hear in all the YouTube clips and will most likely get a pair of each and load them in the 4x12" in an "X" pattern. They're rated at the same efficiency (100dB) and close enough to the same wattage that I think (hope) they'll compliment each other nicely. Wish me luck!

Gianni likes this.
  9. EndGame00

I also have th G12-35xc.... My description for it is very airy and three dimensional... It actually sounds great with the G12H30 Anniversary. The notes seems to be snappier and bright (but not ear piercing) together... Pete Thorn did a great demo of the 35XC on his YouTube page.

10. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

These are all ways you can think about speakers, but what about listening for the effects of brighter notes, clearer notes, extra distortion, less finger squeal noise effect, etc.
    These reasons for choosing speakers might offer you a more solid reason for having those speakers in your collection.
    Anniversary is offering you something unique, so find out what that something is.
    Heritage is making a new sound which seems like the earlier products sound, but its without the faults associated.

11. EndGame00

Did a sample demo of both Annie and Heritage 55hz.

MikeySixStrings likes this.
  12. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I think I want the 55hz Heritage.....

13. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Member

Hey EndGame, thanks for putting together that video. The 55Hz seems to add a "throaty" "beefiness" (terrible description, I know) to the sound of the G12H-30 Anniversary. They compliment each other well. Sounds good!

Dave at Avatar was able to order some of the G12-35XC's for me even though he doesn't stock them normally so I went kinda speaker crazy and ordered a pair of those, a pair of the Heritage G12H (75Hz), and a pair of the G12H-Creambacks. Now all I need is a Marshall 1960AHW cab and I'll be set.

In the mean time I'll get to experiment with swapping the new speakers in and out of my 2061cx and 1960A cabs. If I ever get the time to setup my recording computer I'll do some sound clips.

14. EndGame00

I also have the G12-35XC and it works well with the Anniversary. But with 65 Creamback, the 35 got buried in the mix.

15. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Well, you’ve certainly done your homework ;), and I do like the way you’re planning to go about it, so I wholeheartedly hope you will soon be back with a post letting us know how happy you are with the result. :fingersx:

There is just one thing I’d like to add. Although the G12-35XC sounds great on YouTube, there are unfortunately no tone samples in the Celestion website, nor in their YouTube channel, so as to directly compare it with the other two speakers.

Regarding the G12H Anniversary and the G12H(75) Heritage, though, how about recording their tone samples, so that you can adjust their volume too, as there is a slight difference in the distortion sample between the two speakers, and be able to alternate between either, or both together, while listening?

http://celestion.com/product/17/g12h_anniversary/
    http://celestion.com/product/27/heritage_series_g12h75/

Just in case you don’t have a DAW, Audacity would be perfect for this task. Free and easy to use. (www.audacityteam.org) :yesway:

16. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

17. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Apparently, the new forum platform does not allow more than 5 pieces of media in a message.

Crunch 2

Distortion

18. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Member

I already ordered the speakers, so at this point I'm just eager for them to get here so I can do my own A-B comparisons. The G12H Creambacks were a bit of an impulse buy. Shhh...don't tell my wife :D

Gianni likes this.
  19. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to reading about, and possibly hearing, the results of these comparisons myself! :fever:

By the way, I’ve just noticed this in your forum signature, and I bloody love it! :thumb:

"There's no such thing as rock stars, there's just people who play music.
    But some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks!
    " --Frank Turner

20. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Member

Ha! Yeah, I only started listening to Frank Turner about 5 years ago, but I really dig his stuff. And the musicians he plays with (the Sleeping Souls) are fantastically talented. I highly recommend catching him live. Fun times!

Gianni likes this.